1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: ms(h)t3k pc

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Bandit_zoraK, 16 Dec 2004.

1. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

This is my second project on the boards and I dont know how much more work I will get on this one before the other one is finished over break. This project will be a media pc type of deal, and though it isn't small form factor, mainly because I didn't want to go buy new hardware.

Specs: Amd 2100+ xp
    MSI KT7(something) mobo
    however much pc2100 ram I can scrounge up
    at least 60 gig hdd, probably 120
    not sure on video yet, maybe 9600 AIW (suggestions)
    not sure on sound either.
    The case is a LITE-ON desktop ATX case, I got it at chiefvalue.com for 26 total w/300W psu (the day after I ordered it, price went up to 32 +ship and out of stock :thumb:)

To the pics!
    Before shot, pretty plain case
    [​IMG]

Top cover off and on the inside...a wierd circuilar plastic thing, maybe for a duct or something, the cat can't figure it out either. :hehe:
    [​IMG]

I was kicking around a few ideas for a top window (theater/media related) and I went up stairs and looked at the shelf with all the dvds and videos on it, and I saw something that would be sweet...mst3k! specifically mike/joel and the bots watching a movie, hence the name "Mystery Science (Home) Theater 3000 PC"
    [​IMG]

After and hour or so with the trusty dremel and jigsaw:
    [​IMG]

Mike/Joel:
    [​IMG]

Tom Servo:
    [​IMG]

Croooooooooooooooooow!!!!! (I got to figure out a way to get those holes cut in his head/basket thing):
    [​IMG]

A shot against my monitor, kind of reminicent (sp) of the show :naughty:
    [​IMG]

I plan on making a custom face panel out of aluminum or something, and would like to get a slot-load dvd (though they are kinda hard to find). Stay tuned!

2. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

hey looks pretty cool to me. Nice dremel work there.

p.s. Mystery Science Theater ROX!!

3. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

Lol, very nice. :hehe:

Mod on bro! :dremel:

4. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

nice window idea there . your dremmel skills are wicked ( lookign at your other mod also )

the shot in front of your monitor makes me feel as though im sitting in the back row of the movie theatre :rock:

5. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Very nice. I'm a fan of MST as well (though it's been awhile), love the window!

You can find plenty of slimline combo drives around, though they are a bit pricey. Try here for a slimline combo, plus here has a better selection and prices. I unknowingly lucked out when I picked up a CD/DVD ROM slot loader here back in May 04, sadly now that I need another one, they don't have any. I'm going with the slimline combo for my next project. BTW, don't bother chasing down the Apple replacement slot loaders...they are retailing for $200US.

6. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Will it include a sampo? :hehe:

7. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

HA HA! MYstery Science theatre 3000!!! Thats Awesome!!!

8. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the links greywolf, is there some sort of converter or adapter to use one of these slim drives? If there is something like this I would definately considered getting one of these.

9. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

The first guys had one here, scroll down to the bottom and use the pull-down under "available options", for $7US they sell the converter. I may be going with these guys as well (since I can get everything), so if you do pick one up there, let me know how it goes.

10. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I got myself one of those (among other things), just arrived today and will give it a try tomorrow. But they (logic supply) have worked out great for me, great service and fast shipment.. though the packaging was a little iffy (parts packed in anti-static bubble wrap and wrapped in several layers of paper), but all parts arrived in great condidtion and everything that I have tested seems to work. Also if you are looking for a direct link to the adapters go to their Accessories section.

11. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

They also have them for $7 at idot.com
    I have a couple Slim CD-ROM drives in my spare parts pile if anyone needs one. Also, some slim optical drive are incapable of using Cable Select to determine where they are placed on an IDE cable. So if your drive doesn't show up properly in the POST or doesn't seem to be working, try moving it's position on the IDE cable. Some are set as Slave as default.

12. Bones

Bones What's a Dremel?

lol thats a great idea! good job so far!

13. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

mst3k so... awesome.... and the dremel work is nice too ^^ you've got my subscription!

14. Chersterz

Chersterz What's a Dremel?

Haha nice cuts that is frickin awesoome! :dremel: :jawdrop: :naughty: :clap:

15. kobaj

kobaj Banned

for the wholes in crows head/basket thingy try taking a drill and a small drill bit thats all I can say.Nice work.