1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: not another rusty computer

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by swan, 7 Dec 2005.

1. saab

saab What's a Dremel?

The mesh is absolytely must be "rusted", because the view of the mod now is totally different.

Nice work btw. !

2. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

dont worry guys, hahaha. i mention in the post somewhere that the mesh will first be painted, and then rusted to match. thanks for the input though.

3. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

dont worry, the mesh will be painted to match. i finished the cover while my girlfriend was at school, so i didnt have alot of time to start painting. i did get the base coat of yellow on it earlier, and probably tomorrow ill make a stencil up for the radioactive sign. the sign will be yellow, and the rest bacl. of coarse all will have rust highlights.

i spent a good deal of time riding my bike this afternoon, which was really cool. later i moved on to my dvd drive mod. ive dont xbox drive windows, but never a computre. i popped in the drive to make sure everything was working properly before i started.

[​IMG]
    opened the drive to find this!? oh well, ive already commited now.

[​IMG]
    cut the window. i havnt used a dremel to cut anything bigger then a screw in half for a while, so i was pleased with my lines. very straight imo.

[​IMG]
    guard cut and looking good.

[​IMG]
    glass roughed to fit the theme.

[​IMG]
    leds in, and ready to be routed.

[​IMG]
    routed.

[​IMG]
    in the light

[​IMG]
    i think it looks just like it should in the dark. its goes right with the theme. the drive cover itself will be painted flat black. to match the chassi.

everything went together well, but when it spun up the terrible happened, the disk was scrubbing. after about fifteen minutes of tinkering i concluded that it was the leds between the wierd guard and drive outer casing pushing the disk onto the actual try while spinning. tomorrow ill spend some time finding a better place for the leds, and hopefully it will fix the problem. if not ive wasted about fifty dollars without even burning one cd/dvd. until next time.

4. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

little worried about the dvd writer right now, but i think tomorrow i will be able to get it sorted out. we'll see when tomorrow rolls around i guess. thanks for your interest guys.

5. saab

saab What's a Dremel?

Fiu ... ok, you know better !!!

6. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

i worked out the scrubbing disk problem today, but the drive stuck out too far to be able to see the window. i worked out another window on the rear that will do the trick. ill post some more pics later.

7. sk8phreak88

sk8phreak88 Minimodder

Lookin good. And as always its good to see a fellow XBS member here also :rock:

8. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

its been raining today, so nothing really got painted. the mesh has been painted yellow for the stencil, but hasnt been gone over with black yet. i went to the skatepark today, and it was a good time.
    [​IMG]
    i need a new frame. :duh: its an old fit van homan, and i really just dont like it anymore.

[​IMG]
    drive is finished.

[​IMG]
    close up of the design i cut into it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i think it looks really good. i just cant get a good shot of the design in the dark, but trust me when i say its very nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i tried to take one through the case top to no avail. i got the look i was going for perfectly though, so no worries.

[​IMG]
    picked up some goodies for the psu. im going to start working on it, and hopefully ill have another update later tonight.

i put alot of work into that dvd drive, so tell me if it was worth the effort spent. thanks in advance.

9. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    i started wroking on my psu. i was a little frightened at first, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

[​IMG]
    first of i mounted the junction box to the psu. i know the inside cut is rough, but who will ever see it.

[​IMG]
    this little guy has thrown me for a loop every since christmas. i just now figured out that its an rpm sensor, so i guess i can control it with mbm or something similar.

[​IMG]
    then i cut a window. im going to light the inside with some green, or i might not. it just depends on how much is finished when the psu mod is over.

[​IMG]
    just an idea of what it will end up like. i saw the blue tobing months ago, and i was skepticle. i finally bit the bullet, and paid the 2.50 (i know im a tightwad). its a little more rigid then i had anticipated, but its nothing a few seconds with a heat gun cant cure.

besides finishing painting, this is the last mod of the project. after this is complete i wil be able to (hopefully everthing will be painted and rusted by the time im finished) assemble the system. this is probably also going to be the most tim consuming of all the mods too. i have to cut, shorten, and resolder almost every cable coming from the psu. even the twenty four pin needs it, so i have my work cut out. ill post again soon.

hook a brother up with a comment

10. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

thanks sk8t, you know how we roll! xboxs are almost the same as pcs hahaha :rock:

11. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Good work on the cuting ;)

That project box your using for the sleeves looks good, but I think I have seen it in too many mods ;)

12. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

thanks for the compliment, but i think you are losing the whole goal for this mod. the aim was for something simple that looked "good". ive had a compaq sitting in my room for a long time now, and im ready for something i can have a little more freedom with. for christmas i got a brand new computer, and i wanted the project to meet my normal standards while taking a fraction of the time of my normal indevors. im not going for a modular psu here, but just an industrial air contitioning type look. i think its going to accomplish that.

13. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

i spent alot of time soldering today. in fact, i soldered my fingers to the bone. the good news is that the psu is mostly finished now. tomorrow im going to pick up some more rusting solution, and i can completely finish the exterior of the psu.

[​IMG]
    a shot of the project box filled to capacity.

[​IMG]
    i left the middle empty, but ill probably something for looks coming from it later.
    [​IMG]
    oh my!:eek:

[​IMG]
    i really like this picture. its really colorful. you can see the inside better, but you cant tell from this pic.

[​IMG]
    i started getting some ideas for wire management. ive got it mostly planned out.

[​IMG]
    you alwasy have to get a shot without the heatsink on the video card. its manditory. I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS. i absolutely cannot get all the gunk off of the ram, and my ramsinks will not stick. ive been using rubbign alcohol, but i just cannot get the ramsinks to stick no matter how much i go over them.

[​IMG]
    another shot of the wc stuff installed without the ramsinks because i cant get them to stick.

i mounted the front rad also, and riveted the hdd, and optical drive cage into place. no need to take a pic of that, you can see it next update.

im going to pic up some black split tubing because the blue just isnt coing what i need it to. tell me what you guys think, and also what to do about the ramsinks. i know this update wasnt much to look at, but i definately need your help.

14. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

ive been trying to decide of a flashing circuit to put into this mod somewhere. it seems like there should be something flashing in a dangerous factory setting doesnt it!?! today i was scanning through some simple circuits, and low and behold i saw a light fixture on my water bottle.
    [​IMG]
    in case you cant see it very well, the cap is not completely white. opaque, is that the right word. anyways, its partially see through.

[​IMG]
    made a quick trip to radioshaft, and made this very simple circuit that i found for an alternating flasher. i took a short clip on my phone, but i didnt know i couldnt retrieve it. tomorrow ill get a little clip so you can see this in all its glory.

[​IMG]
    since i wanted the psu to look something like an industrial air conditioning system, this went perfectly. ive dubbed it the air purity and warning system. of coarse its only a percaution, but if any deadly toxins are in the air, we need to know!

[​IMG]
    i couldnt capture it in its full glory. when i get a video up i think you will be able to see who well it goes with the project. it flashes once on the left, and once again on the right. obviously repeating. ill add a switch sometime, but for now i was just testing.

[​IMG]
    the res's are finished, and they look uterly disgusting. i feel like im going to get tetnis just looking at them.

i had some blurry pics, and not alot of good any really good pics. if you capture a project the right way the pictures dont need captions. ill try and get some better stuff up tomorrow or the next day. hopefully the update to come will give the project some justice. always glad to hear what you guys think.

15. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

thanks guys, i really appreciate the compliments. i never end up putting as little effort into my projects as i plan on. the computer was supposed to be finished long ago, but we all know how that goes. i did manage to take a short out of focus video with the digital camera, so this is it. its nothing really fancy, but you can get the jist with it.

clip

i pulled a coolermaster aerogate out of my current desktop because i had a few ideas regarding it. did a little prodding with the multimeter, and changed the backlight to green.
    [​IMG]
    it actually looks much better in person, but i couldnt capture how it really looks. what a suprise, huh!? anyways, ill have some better pics of it when its reassembled.

[​IMG]
    still get that green tint even with the flash. its gonna go great i think.

[​IMG]
    this is the body of it. hopefully, ill get some better pics of it tomorrow when it has some rust.

[​IMG]
    finally the bay cover. the back still has to be rusted, but look how awsome this looks.

i have very few minor mods to undertake before i can get her up and running. i have to order a few things tonight (sata data cables, ide cable, etc.), and when they come in it will hopefully be time for final build stage. cheers.

discuss me!!!

16. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

just a few more things, and ill be ready to start the final build.

17. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

just a short little update. i started work on my switch remote control type thingy tonight. i have all the wiring done except the cathode switch. its lookin pretty good. i also ordered a few things. i should build sometime next week.

[​IMG]
    i love the look of this thing. im going to finish the mod next week probably, but i expect to be adding little odds and ends for a while.

18. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

guys i really appreciate all the support, and constructive criticisms. it really does make the outcome much more pleasent.

i might post some more later, or i might not. the mod is really close to being finished... well, assembled. i dont plan on finishing this for a few more months. i want to be able to add extra detail to it in the future./
    [​IMG]
    i woke up this morning to find that my junk had arrived. im taking a risk here with the "radioactive" uv green cabeling. if it doesnt go well, ill just think, something else up.

[​IMG]
    finished the fan control mod. im very pleased with the outcome.

[​IMG]
    another shot with the lcd illuminated. im having a hard time getting it to actually cooperate with the camera, and i just havnt gotten a good pic yet.

[​IMG]
    then the mailman brought me a sweet case. my old computer has been about to crumble on my desk for ages now. it used to sit in only the chassis, and it was pretty terrible. with the addition of the new computer i wanted to turn this into my server, and i also wanted to move it without drives falling out randomly. its a nockoff case, but it looks amazing. i paid 30 dollars for it, and it couldnt have been a better deal. here is the link if anyone is interested. im in my planning staged on a harry potter theme on this case, very excited!

[​IMG]
    this is a little something i worked up to cover the old power button hole. i needed it there, as you will see in a min.

[​IMG]
    another shot. its jagged, but it really doesnt matter how straight my cuts were to begin with because after i add the metal paint it will be jagged no matter what.

[​IMG]
    the switch box is all wired up now. its not completely finished, but its pretty close. the tubing will actually be secured to the front of the case with brackets, but will hang freely on the side. now its back to work, but ill probabaly update later. tell me what you guys think.

19. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

thanks alot guys, i really appreciate all the support. the last few days have been the dumps. its just all those little things that need to be dont, but arent actually any fun. i think tonight i might have applied my final bit of rusting solution, so hopefully tomorrow i can plumb her up. im super excited about that.

in other news, after this is completed im going to be doing a mod for a friend of mine that was promised ages ago. then, you can expect to see project: harry potter and the pc of water. my idea list is steadily growing, and i cant wait to get started on it.

[​IMG]
    these are a few pics of the last real mods that had to be done for this project. in this pic you can see where i added a hanger for my switch box.

[​IMG]
    then i added a little bracket to the side panel. simple but effective

[​IMG]
    the switch box just hangin out.

[​IMG]
    a teaser of what you can expect in the near future. alot still needs to be done in this pic. ive since put about another hour and a half in, so things are so so close to being finished.

i also resolved my pump mounting issue. i start back to school tomorrow, but hopefully i can get some things finished. if i dont post again within the next few days you will know that i broke one of the many expensive components in a computer that hasnt even been cranked up yet, and i quite modding all together, hahaha. until next time.

discuss me!!!

20. swan

swan What's a Dremel?

get a little done almost every day. im very excited about plumbing it. i think it should make for a really nice final look. just to get a conscensus, what does yoru cooling concotion consist off.