1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Plexuminum (?) UPDATE 8/04/03

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Enraged, 15 Jul 2003.

1. Enraged

Enraged What's a Dremel?

The name will change, but im just going to start the log :)

Hardware:
    Athlon XP 1700+ *DLT3C* JIUHB CPU (Unlocked)
    Vantec Aeroflow (modded to fit, pics soon)
    Biostar M7NCG Nforce2 Mobo
    MSI Geforce FX5200-VTD128 Vid Card
    2x Samsung 256MB PC3200 DDR RAM
    60 GB HD (forget the name)
    6 GB Backup HD
    Generic CD-ROM
    Generic CD Burner
    Cold_Dog VFD

Full custom case made with aluminum and acrylic.

My modded power supply. I ripped it out of its box, and once i desolder the fan, 110/220V switch, and the extra plug, it will be mounted in the acrylic case i built for it, using some old mobo standoffs.

[​IMG]

Heres the first base i built for the case. I made a new one due to the first not being square, and making some mistakes (note the chunk out of the back right corner). The two CD drives are actually mounted from underneath, with some standard drive screws that have been countersunk into the aluminum.

[​IMG]

The mobo tray. 10" x 10" x 1/4" acrylic, drilled and tapped with standoffs. Mobo is mounted, vid card was in for fitting purposes only.

[​IMG]

My drive tray. Now this took me QUITE soem time to design. many ideas went through my head, but remembering a worklog a read last month (dont remember which one, sorry) i built this. the rectanguler base will actually be the top, and the mobo will mount to that. the base is made from some hollow aluminum square tubing, cut at 45 degrees, and using acrylic to hold the corners at the right spot, standard case screws are used to secure it. It is very solid. The actual drive "cage" is just some aluminum i had that i bent with a bending brake, mounted to the base with more case screws.

[​IMG]

Ill edit and post more info and pics as i go... i already have the sides, top, and back cut to shape, the front will b done last, as i'm unsure how im going to design it, and where everything will be placed. I'm also still waiting on my jab-tech order for some UV IDE cables, fans, and a UV CCFL. I actually have to maek another order, I need some more fans. I also have about 15 blue LEDs ill be using at some point.... other things to do include finding my damn soldering iron so i can mod the PSU some more, and so i can hook up the VFD.

Stay tuned, more to come...

edit: pics fixed....

Last edited: 4 Aug 2003
  2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looking good :thumb:

I like the inventive way you've made the hdd mounting :)
    It should be an interesting project to watch unfurl...

3. Enraged

Enraged What's a Dremel?

well i finally got my UV CCFL, fans, and rounded cables, so ill make more progress tonight. ill post pics later.

4. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

Keep on pal, we're watching your progresses. :D

5. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Keeping a close watch on your progress.

Seems interesting upto now. :thumb:

6. Enraged

Enraged What's a Dremel?

Just a brief update... my package from Jab-tech.com arrived today, I only had time to sleeve the PSU so far:

[​IMG]

i need to get a new power plug since i melted the original while desoldering some wires :duh:

More in the next few days...

7. Enraged

Enraged What's a Dremel?

*note, photos are hosted at villagephotos, so max 5MB transfer per day. if you cant see the pics, check tomorrow, unless someone can host for me*

ok, made some progress... and a bad thing...

1st off, my hard drive died. luckily i had everything backed up so i could wipe it and have a fresh install for the new hardware. so i sent it back for RMA, i should have a new replacement here on tuesday.

so, onto the progress.

[​IMG]

I sleeved the PSU with clear UV sensitive sleeving, shortened some wires, removed the fan, removed the 2nd plug, removed the P4 connector. its now smaller and looks alot cleaner.

[​IMG]

The Box. Side and back were glued together, but due to a leaky syringe, some of the glue fogged up the side, so I'll take care of that later with some Novus. i cut the holes in the back for the mobo and graphics card, just have to sand them a bit more.

I also built a small fan controller with a rotary switch, so i now have off/7V/12V control for the fans. i just have to build a box for it, and get some aluminum round stock to built a knob (the electronics shop didnt have any that i liked, so im going to build my own :) )

so, to do:
    -cut fan hole for rear 120mm fan
    -finish up the top hole (the X grill will be cut out) and sand it smooth...
    -mount the CD drives onto the new baseplate (old baseplate wasnt square)
    -decide how im going to attach the sides to the bottom
    -finish soldering together the VFD
    -box, knob, and lighting for fan control
    -design and build the faceplate.

hopefully a bunch more progress in the next few days....

8. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

9. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

10. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

If you don't want to use uploadit, I can offer some limited pic hosting, but uploadit is much better than what I have to offer ;)