1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Pyramid

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gup, 3 Sep 2007.

1. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

awesome :thumb:.......
    .......but it moves pretty fast.
    Just a thought.........
    I think it would look a lot better if you could slow the movement down a bit,like half the speed you have now.......

Alan

2. tbmarcom

tbmarcom What's a Dremel?

hey !
    nice cats at the screensaver on the monitor in background !

miof !

:rolleyes:

3. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

What theAlien said - ½ x speed.

If you want to get convey the feeling that it's actually the side of a huge pyramid that's moving, you will have to reduce the speed a lot. I'd let it take around 5 sec to open.

Except for the speed.. it's awesome!! 8D I like the glow around the details on the side panels too!

4. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

tnx all..!!
    @jhanlon303 : hehe, i will see your "move" coming...:D

@theAlien : i know, i still can adjust the speed as its pwm-controlled.
    Only limitation i have now is the motor strength, which will reduce on lower speeds.
    I have to see what the maximum weight will be once the front is finished.@tbmarco

@tbmarcom : miaf!!.......thats only 2 cats twisted together somehow, we have another as u know..:D

@Macros the black : yup, i want to give it a "huge" impression so speed must come down.
    The pics dont capture the light aswell as i see it, but it gives an idea how it will look.

Next thing to do is attaching the CCFL-lights. And theres alot of them (4x30 cm;6-8x10 cm). In all i have 5-6 converters
    (dual) to place inside the pyramid (where to stuff them??). I searched the web for converters that
    have more then 2 connections (to reduce the number of converters), but no luck.
    Anyone knows if these are for sale?

5. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

small update....

I got the ccfl lights attached with much difficulty as the space is so limited. I added a white backplate (styrene) to the outer hull to get more diffuse reflection. The converters are attached at the back of the white styrene. As example some pics and last pic has on the lower band the final idea of skin attached. Although the pics aren't that great let me know what you think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

looking nice .-.. very good job.. i like the lights ..

7. Macros_the_Black

Cosy! ^_^ Will probably look great in a dimly lit room!!

8. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

Yes!!...thats the idea!

Part of the lights i have to do with some superflux leds as the space is so limited. Problem now i have is to get the LED's shine diffuse (otherwise u get a kinda point light). Anyone have an idea how to make these led's shine diffuse:confused:
    The space from led to the styrene plates is only 0.5 cm. (thats short).

9. godmonkey

godmonkey What's a Dremel?

I agree with the speed comments but... 5 SECONDS :jawdrop: WOW :jawdrop: Macros you must have a FAR longer attention span than I do! :hehe:

Great job so far cannot wait to see this thing done!!!

Congrats on the crash/rib recovery! :clap:

10. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

light problem

Update :

As i dont have enough room for only CCFL lights, i added a few flux LED's (see pic).
    After a few days of testing the used foil got decoulerized!! They turned completly transparent!.:wallbash:
    Seems the foil isnt resistant to the bright light. Last pic is the actual color it should have.
    I have to see if the distance from foil to LED makes a difference in deteriorating the foil. Otherwise i have to use a different kind, any suggestions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Macros_the_Black

hehe.. you see what I do is imagine that I'm really tiny, so the pyramid look really big.. when you are that tiny anything huge and cool like this build looks _really_ awesome, so you don't mind watching it for 5sec... h3ll, you'd gladly watch it for 10 sec. ^_^ (It helps being a little crazy and/or having a vivid imagination (it's both in my case :lol:) to get this trick to work)

@Gup: How much space do you have to work with behind the surface of the pyramid? Would it be possible to paint inner surface orange/yellow and then bounce the light from the leds (pointing inwards) off that surface onto the outer shell of the pyramid? This should give you both the right color and more diffuse light. (Might be an idea to use some paint that's suited for outdoor use, that can take bright light and UV just to be sure.)

12. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

@Macros the black : Space is limited (1.1 cm) and flipping the lights doesnt work.
    I tried that but then it will cast a shadow on the frontplate and lightoutput is pretty poor.
    But tnx for suggestion...:D
    Been testing the LED's now for a week with a distance of 1.1 cm that seems to work,
    as i dont see any detoriation. Also mechanics changed (not again!).
    Althought the PWM-control can reduce the speed, it also draines the power of the cd-motor.
    As a result the motor isnt capable of pulling it at low-speeds.
    So i changed the motor with a transmission-motor.
    These are really kewl motors, build in gear and size not bigger then the cd-motor.
    Here is a link :

transmission-motor

made also a new vid of it. slow action!!

Also added some lights on the front which shine on the "stages", it gives a pretty nice effect.

Comments welcome!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Mar 2008
  13. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

wow .......... that looks great and the speed is just right ........:thumb:

Alan

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Like Alan said speed is JUST right. Makes it feel like it's lifting something massive. Well done:thumb:
    John

15. Macros_the_Black

Yeah, I was afraid of that (too little space => shadows).
    Good to hear that your lighting setup seems to work ok! ^_^

Sweet! I'm really glad to see that you are letting the door take it's time... lovin' it! *^_^* <-- (happy me, cheering with pom-poms)

Awesome Gup! Mod on! :rock:

16. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

tnx@all............:D

I thought it was abit too slow. But this is about the max speed i can have with the transmision motor...so it has todo. I even had to increase the voltage on it (specs = max 6v ---->now 12v), i hope it doesnt burn out..:D
    Next thing is wiring all lights up and control the lights from remote and a external button. So back to pcb designing and figuring out where to put it..:confused:

17. Frenkie

Frenkie Lets mod the world!

You really are MY kind of modder. :D Love your work, this has to be a killer mod when finished. Keep it up!

18. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

hehe TNX alot!!!.....:D:D

I seen your projects too...and also scifi related...:thumb:
    r2d2 is one hell of an awesome project.........and to imagine you live only 20 km from me....:D

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

What's a km?:confused:
    I still like it. :thumb:
    John from the Colonies

20. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

serious.....:confused::confused:

1.6 km = 1 mile

:naughty::naughty: