1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Roll Cage - February 27,2006

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by matrixops, 20 Jan 2006.

1. matrixops

matrixops What's a Dremel?

Well, it is finally time to start a project log for my current case mod/build. This is my second case project and will be a scratch build. Since I am interested in off-roading and road racing, I decided to build a case that represented these interests. Thus, Roll Cage was born.

As far as hardware is concerned, I hope to use the following for the case:

AMD Opteron 144/146 Venus
    DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity
    Noise Isolator PWM Fan controller
    Corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2pt
    Enermax Liberty 500W ELT500AWT
    evga 7800GT
    2x Hitachi 7k80 HDS728080PLA380
    Pioneer 110DBK DVDRW
    Samsung Floppy Black
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy2 value
    Ideazon Zboard
    Razer Diamondback - Salamander Red
    Windows XP Professional

For Water Cooling:

Maze4 for AMD 64 and Opteron
    Maze4 for Nvidia GPU
    Maze4 for NF4 Chipset
    Black Ice Xflow II
    12ft ClearFlex 60 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Tubing
    D5 pump
    Zerex Super Coolant
    Fill port and fill port reservoir

I spent several days thinking about this case project and went through several versions on graph paper. This produced some great ideas but didn't work well enough for representing the case in 3d. To better represent the case in 3d, I went to work with a program that I am mildly familiar with, Blender. To those that may not be familiar with this program, it is a freely available 3D modelling and rendering program. The following render's of the case were produced with Blender, but they took me quite a bit of time to perfect. I don't profess to be a gifted modeller, but they suit my purposes.

The first render is of the left side of the case, you can see that the case is primarily composed of 1.5" steel tubing with some use of angle iron and round bar for different pieces and mounting points. The tubing with be powder coated red and the panels themselves will be natural aluminum. Along the front there is the intake for air used to cool the radiator, and the vertical mounting of the DVDRW and floppy. The angled panel at the top will contain the fan controller, power/reset switches, and power/hdd activity led's.

[​IMG]

Here is a render of the right side of the case. Located here is an exposed side of the radiator. Not pictured in the render will be 2 multi-color vinyl appliques. One representing the ZBoard Zone and the other Danger Den. I would like to send out a huge thanks to my sponsors ZBoard and Danger Den. They both have been great inspiration and support for the design of this case. I would like to give special thanks to Darren and Fred from ZBoard and Dan from Danger Den.

[​IMG]

Next is a render of the internals of the case. Sorry for the basic textures but these renders were mostly used for placement and design, not realistic visuals.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 Feb 2006
  2. matrixops

Project Roll Cage - February 27, 2006

Here is the Project Log discussion for my Roll Cage Project which can be seen here:
    Roll Cage

Thanks for any and all comments, questions, and/or suggestions!!!

matrixops

Last edited: 27 Feb 2006
  3. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I really like the idea. the LCD on top would be killer. One suggestion, instead of having the disk drive sideways how about right under the LCD unit. And get rid of the 3.5" bay drive. I think it will take away from the look having it right there. My personal opinion. That or get a slot loading drive (either laptop or if you can find a 5.25" one)

That's what I would do. Plans look great. CAn't wait to see this thing turn out. Good luck.

4. matrixops

I didn't want to make the first post too long so I am going to separate the initial log entry into 3 posts.

Just recently I've ordered and received some of the components that will be used in the project (nothing like that new hardware smell). When choosing a powersupply for the project, I wanted something modular and powerful. I know that some of you are thinking, PC Power and Cooling, but I wasn't able to buy one of those powersupplies due to size, cost, and lack of modularity. So, after some research I purchased an Enermax ELT500AWT Liberty from ZipZoomFly.com. This is a 500W modular powersupply with dual 12v rails rated at 22A each. Plenty of power for the single video card gaming PC that Roll Cage is going to be.

A picture of the powersupply and accessories.

Notice the pouch for keeping unused cables, nice attention to detail.

[​IMG]

From Performance-PC's I ordered this Noise Isolator PWM fan controller with 2 on/off switches. It is a 3 channel controller which is capable of powering multiple fans on each channel.

[​IMG]

Here is everything for the water cooling system minus the pump.

[​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by, discuss this via the Project Log discussion thread link in my sig.

5. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

This looks to be a good-one! :)
    Keep us updated!

6. matrixops

Today has been a long time in the making. I have finally reached a point in the case build that I feel comfortable posting images of it. These early build images give me the chills because it really brings to life what has only existed in digital format for all this time. I want to express my gratitude for the patience of Darren Healy at ZBoard who watched as my initial start date blew by unoticed a few months ago and didn't even flinch. Thanks Darren!

I hate to get all emotional over this, but this first image really drove home the fact that the case was actually going to be...It is the tubing after the initial cutting just layed on the ground in the general shape of the case. No grinding or fitment yet.

[​IMG]

Here is the first panel being tack welded together. In the beginning I was using right-angle magnets to hold the tubing.

[​IMG]

A close up of one of the welds, unfinished...

[​IMG]

Lining up the two sides to make sure they are the same...

[​IMG]

I noticed that after I lined up the tacked together left and right panels that I needed something a bit more substantial to make sure that the panels were the same. So, I took some plywood and built a jig to clamp the tubing to...

[​IMG]

With the jig built and the tubing in place, I could prep and tack the final corner in. This was the diagonal corner at the top-front of the case in the renders...

[​IMG]

Here is an image of what a "mostly" finished corner will look like prior to powder coating...

[​IMG]

Another "goosebump" moment. Here is the most recent significant stage in the build. The two sides lined up the way they will be in the end. I am in the process of prepping the cross bars/spreaders for the case. This will take a bit of work, but I have the first one prepped and ready to tack in place. I hope to have that done soon...so keep checking back for updates.

[​IMG]

I hope to keep making steady progress on the case, but I can't promise it will be a fast build. So, please check back regularly and remember to post comments or questions in the Discussion thread.

7. matrixops

The original plan is for a slot load DVDRW from Plextor or a Pioneer DVD...I think it will depend on other options for the case. I have debated for quite some time over whether or not to install a floppy drive or not. The main reason I am keeping one is for installation of drivers during Windows install, after that I really don't need it. I am still investigating the ability to put the drivers on a USB drive and use that for install. If anyone has any links for information on that, please post them.

Thanks for the quick posts, I will try to keep steady updates coming, but I only get about an hour to two hours a day 4-5 days a week to work on it.

matrixops

8. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Are you using steel tubing?

Heavy duty!

What kind of welder do you have?

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

This so pwns! Great work!

10. matrixops

Yeah, it is 1.5" tubing, not quite as thin as muffler tubing, but not as thick as DOM or schedule 40 pipe. The case will be pretty heavy when it is all welded together.

As for the welder, it is a small Clarke 95e Arc welder. Very easy to use, makes very nice beads. Granted, it's not TIG welds but it works.

11. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

This is a great idea for a case, I'll be checking this one regularly. Good work on the 3D model too.

12. doryakov

doryakov What's a Dremel?

waiting for the mod finished .

13. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

looking good so far, nice welds, very clean joints :) love the idea of the LCD on the top bit!

14. matrixops

Thanks kouri1977, doryakov, and GuardianStorm for your nice comments.

I believe there may be a bit of confusion with respect to what is going into the top of the case. I won't be putting an LCD in, rather that is a 3 channel PWM fan controller. I had thought about putting a MatrixOrbital display there, but alas I am on a budget and the display was about 3 times more expensive than the fan controller.

The nice thing about the fan controller is that it is a single 5.25" bay design, so in the future I can switch it for a MatrixOrbital Display if I get a chance.

Thanks again for the comments,
    matrixops

15. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

Looks too be excellent. Subscribed. :D

16. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

If you're just going to use the FDD for just drivers I would just leave your side open, lay your FDD in your case and install drivers. Once done shutdown and disconnect flopyy drive. Most people do that. At least I do. Works good and you don't have to have an ugly floppy drive in your case.

You're using just an arc welder? More props to you. Arc welding isn't exactly the easiest to weld with and you're doing a great job. Looks very clean.

17. MiLwOrkZ

MiLwOrkZ What's a Dremel?

So are you going to drop test this thing... or take it off roading? LOL Just Kidding looking great cant wait to see the finish.

18. matrixops

Off roading is definitely a possibility...Drop Testing??? If the hard drives could take it I am sure the rest of it could.

Thanks for the compliments. I should get some more images up early next week.

matrixops

19. customh

customh conflagration.

The thing is taking 5 years to load, i still don thave pics and its been 10 mins-- im on cable-- any ideas why all about the log by the way

20. matrixops

I just checked, the images seem to be loading quickly for me. Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks for the heads up.