1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Room modding ! ?! [10% done] update 02-06

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by RonnieOle, 31 May 2004.

1. modz-a-lot

modz-a-lot What's a Dremel?

if u do use a refrigerator, dont forget, they make more heat then they pull out. refrigerators dont simply make things cold, they act only as a heat pump. anyways, room looks great!

EDIT: that's what i meant by heat pump, it moves heat from the radiator to the evaporator coil. but a refrigerator in a closed room will only make heat, from the compressor just as a tec makes extra "joule heat"."

Last edited: 3 Jun 2004
  2. SFOD-D LoneWolf

SFOD-D LoneWolf What's a Dremel?? :p

I think they actually work more like a TEC, one side is cold, while the other one is hot.

Mega off-topic :rock:

Cheers,
    Mike

3. RonnieOle

RonnieOle What's a Dremel?

p4 ht 3.0 ghz :D

You got a point about that refrigerator. Well I could place it in its own box so only the cooling elements where out... dunno... anyone with that kind og experience?

4. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Interesting... I would jsut keep the monitor out of the box... good work :baby:

5. RonnieOle

:duh: :waah: My WD 120 HDD 8mb cache just went up in smoke... made some funny noise and then silence... :grr: Dunno what happened but I cant get it to work. That was my backup disk... :sigh:

Well my pictures is on cdrom.. lucky me. Its the second time a WD 120 GB HDD is going down... keep an eye on those WD's !!! Make backups on other drives... Next HDD is gonna be a Seagate! I Promise ;)

6. xtpwhitetrashx

xtpwhitetrashx What's a Dremel?

umm you might need some kind of air flow in there

7. RonnieOle

Well i just bought me a watercooling system... :D But should I wait and build my custom case first? hmmm dont think I can wait so long ;)

8. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

looks very promising
    keep on moddin :dremel:

9. calnen

calnen moo!!

This looks great!! I love the idea of monitors in the wall :)
    2 things, but other people have already said them: I would definately have gone for another 6 inches (15cm) or so of desk so you have some room for your arms, and I love the idea of having the pcs on wheels so you can get at them when you need to.

10. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

ehh as they say there's nothing in the modding world that someone hasn't done before (well almost nothing) i only said that cos i had almost exactly the same idea :D but no matter i think it'll be kewl :thumb:
    what colour are you going to make the fake wall or maybe you'll just put some posters and stuff on it ?

11. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Looks like a very interresting project.

On the issue of cooling behind your fake wall.

The main issue to remember, is that there is a physical constant of the connection between: Temp * Volume * Pressure

If you want an automatic fall in temperature you must increase the volume or decrease pressure.
    You can not make your room grow! Most houses are just not built that way :)
    You can not keep lowering the pressure in your room! You must breathe :hip:

So the only option really is to TRANSPORT the heat. :naughty:

You can use use air movement, liquid movement or some kind of chemical movement.

To use air (this is the simplest option):
    You could just make some air outlet holes at the very top of the wall. Or even leave the top couple of centimeters (2-10 cm) without the fake wall.

This will allow for hot air to leave the space behind the fake wall, and move into the rest of the room.

If you use holes, you could even mount an air duct (ventilation tube) through the wall of the house, and let the heat go way out to the outside.
    Either way the transportation of heat will probably benefit from fans blowing air from behind the wall and into the room/tube.

The computers will usually have automatic airflow through them, as they are already mounted with air fans.

To make sure the monitors get enough air circulating around them, you can just make a couple of holes in the table underneth the back of the monitors.
    This way the monitor will heat up the air around it, this heated air will rise, and create an automatic low-sucktion of cooler air moving in from the holes below the monitors.

For the rest of the electronics, any kind of small open strips at the back of the table or between any of the boards will probably allow for enough air to keep it cool.

Water cooling
    If you want to use water cooling, you can mount a radiator at the top of the space behind the fake wall, and mount it with a fan.
    This way the heat from the air will be transferred into the water.
    Then pump the water to another radiator mounted in you room, or ever outside the house.

This will transport the heat from behind the fake wall and to another location.

Adding compressor or peltier element to the system
    Both systems can optimize the transportation of heat, as a greater difference in temperature eases the transport of heat from one object to another being it a "CPU->metal->water" pumped to the radiator where "water->metal->air" transport happens.

Or in your case "hot air->metal in radiator->water" being pumped to another radiator where "water->metal->air" transport is happening.

Well I think you get the picture.

Just a thought. Behind the fake wall you may be putting something like 2-300 Watts into a very small space. My guess is that if completely consealed (without any airflow out) the temp may rise to as much as 90*C within a few hours.
    A friend of mine has mounted his computer in a seperat small walk-in-closet room (2 m2) with wires through the wall to his desk.
    The little 2 m2 room is at 60*C when his computer has been running for two-three hours.

Hope this helps a little.

Alvin

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Jun 2004
  12. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Ideas for more equipment behind the wall?

Maybe a switch, so you can connect more than one computer to a monitor.
    This way you will not have to unplug one of the computers you have mounted behind the wall, you can choose to just have an extra set of wires
    sticking out underneth the desk, and mount your friends computers that way.

Just an idea to consider.

Alvin

13. EdHunTer

EdHunTer What's a Dremel?

still waiting for some updates on this

14. RonnieOle

well, heres the deal. My sister and her husban has bought a house and is in great need for a hand. My time is spend a great deal in helping them. So thats why this darn project is stopped for the time being. But not for long. :idea: Stay tuned :D

15. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Okay, we'll wait.

I do however have a couple of questions for when you return:

Are you going to permanently attach the front panels/fake fall sheets (DK:masonit plader) or are you going to attach some or all of them i a way thet they can be removed at your leasure?
    I mean, attach them with something like velcro or magnetic strips (DK: som bruges til forsatsruder) or something like that.

Also: Are you going to have shelves or something like that above the screens?
    On one of the pictures I saw reciever and speakers, will there be a shelf for the printer? and other "stuff" ?

See y'all later.
    Alvin

16. Jesterjedi

Jesterjedi What's a Dremel?

sounds like a cool project, although i thought you might of decided to cover the beige parts of the monitor so its just the screen showing through the wall and not the edges of the monitor.

i'll be waiting to see how this turns out, like i already said its looking cool so far.