1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: sammy

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Doom56, 16 Nov 2006.

1. Doom56

Doom56 What's a Dremel?

hi all.

some of my friends says i should post my project sammy here so here it is so far

at the moment my computer is knackered as the mobo is over heating as i can smell something burning and have a desktop fan cooling it down as well but if i take it away the computer cuts out and have to wait for an hour for it to cool down to start up again. and many other problems.

the vid of my old one:
    http://s113016774.websitehome.co.uk/uploads/doom56computer.wmv

so at the moment i am making a new computer but this time no fish tank or fancy clear cases....infact no case...

i am making a table with a box in the middle under the table where my new computer is going in with a glass cover over it like this crummy pic i made

[​IMG]

and so far i have just finnished making the box just now adding in the parts and so far i have got the motherboard plate in and screwed in and rear cut (will sand down later)

first off was to plan out things
    [​IMG]

then make the box (yes i did it in my room cos it was cold outside)
    [​IMG]

then when i made the box i needed to cut out the back plate out for the card slots (will sand down last just test fitting it first)
    [​IMG]

put in the modded mobo plate in and screwed it down and hell its well tight on
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

next was the psu now i havent got the new psu yes as its gonna cost me £230 for it and i need to know where the holes are on it cos i am having the psu exposed with modded fans for it (have checked with Tagan and said it will be fine if i did the fan mod. so for now i riped out of an 350W psu the mains plug conector and added it in the box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ok i have drilled a 76mm hole for an 80mm fan so all the heat inside the box will be sucked out from the rear
    [​IMG]

then added in the screw hole and screws
    [​IMG]

and when done it looked like this
    [​IMG]

i stoped of at my local hardware store (B&Q) as i needed some more parts wich costed me £50
    [​IMG]

just looking at the space the res tank was in the way when i wanted to fit in the fluorescent black light so i had move the res tank closer to the motherboard and fitted in the fluorescent base
    [​IMG]

and here are 2 pics when it was done and tested
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i came up with a problem the raditor did not fit in cos of the fluorescent base was fatter then i thought so i had to move the base upside down and highter
    [​IMG]

today i had my delevery from coolercases.co.uk and sadly i ordered 3 120mm fans but he only had 1 in stock but they are gonna send me the other 2 when soon as they get them in stock. :p

anyways i have fitted the one fan on the RAD with a danger den grill and here is what it looks like
    [​IMG]

close up
    [​IMG]

ok today i didnt do much as i was hard on time but for now i did was compare and add in some cables

2. Doom56

Doom56 What's a Dremel?

this is what it looked like when flashed

[​IMG]

then in night
    [​IMG]

here is where i wrap the cables up from the pvc to UV red

this is when i fitted the sleaves on and just placed the heat shrinks where they gonna go
    [​IMG]

then i knicked my mums hairdryer and shrunk them
    [​IMG]

i installed some cables (test fit) and looks like i will have do mod some wires so it can reach the mobo for when i get the 2 other fans.
    [​IMG]

and this is taken with no flash
    [​IMG]

my bro cam in the room and then smilled and looked at his teath and they were well funny and here are some scary pics of him in the dar and UV'ed at
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this when i installed the 2 rads
    [​IMG]

and bam i came up this problem and tryed everyting and just wont fit cos of the poor holes in the rad (cos of the ALU fans are a little bigger then plastic ones)
    [​IMG]

drilled the 3 107mm holes for the rad (B&Q didnt do anything closer then 120mm)
    [​IMG]

and the given up and finnished rad job
    [​IMG]

ok since i got the mains UV light i needed a switch and also a switch for the psu cos this one is going to be an open type so i added them in and also the same time added in a nice big power on switch on the right.
    [​IMG]

and this is the messy inside bit but will clean later in time
    [​IMG]

this is the mains temp wireing
    [​IMG]

then i forgot the HDD so i used some brackets i was going to use but now are usless but works just what i needed for the HDD
    [​IMG]

and so far under UV
    [​IMG]

my cable arrived a nice 90cm RED cable but it was pink
    [​IMG]

tested it under UV
    [​IMG]

so i braided one side that it will be seen in the box
    [​IMG]

3. Doom56

Doom56 What's a Dremel?

retest under UV
    [​IMG]
    miles better

YEY my alpha cool LCD arrved and was dead easy to plug in just using a USB cable no power sorce needed
    [​IMG]

after a few days trying to make this scripts i tested one
    [​IMG]

and then the new scripts i had to mod to make it work
    [​IMG]
    yes it still has the protective film over it cos i aint dont yet.

then took it apart
    [​IMG]

choped the side brackets off to mount how i wanted it using picture hangers upside down and modded to fit and mount then put it in the box but i had to drill a BIG 22mm hole in the back for the usb to hang out of the rear and here is the result
    [​IMG]

well thats it but will make the power LED and HDD act led in a wired way tho so keep an eye out and i need a cheep any sort of 5 or 7" tft or lcd screen!!!

4. Doom56

Doom56 What's a Dremel?

ok sorry for the delay as i had some money shorts but i havent brought much this month so heres what i got and done so far from the parts i had already but just needed to fit in.

ok what i did was i had an cooler master drive thingy which was so boring and have to keep looking at a funny angle to see it well not this time as i striped it and wow there was nothing much inside so could have smallen the board but sadly i finnished collage years ago so i had to mod this one instead
    [​IMG]

i took out the needle blocks out and put it on some wood and hot glued later on
    [​IMG]

then i relised lighting as it was 6 blue leds and a strange backing to reflect it so i thought i make my own but im using 12 leds to make sure it was bright enough
    [​IMG]

soldered them togeather
    [​IMG]

then i tested it and NOTHING lit up the needles so i thought i'll try using 24 leds but was a little better but then i cramed 32 LED's and then soldered em all togeather minding the electral working
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i orderd a Tagan ATX2.01 Turbojet Quad SLi Silent PSU and arrived like this...sweet
    [​IMG]

opend up
    [​IMG]

took it out
    [​IMG]

layed the cables out
    [​IMG]

so i put thePSU on hold cos i cant do anything with it just yet so i look back at the 6.5" TFT touch screen (£170) and halfway made a box for it
    [​IMG]

then i needed to make a plate for the box so i can install the switches and my first atempt was using steel sheets (mesured and predrilled)
    [​IMG]

then disaster stikes.....on the 2nd hole during drilling a 20mm hole RIPED a metal chunk up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

so i thought i'll stick to wood and i did ( i know they are bulky bolts but will change the 2 later in time when i get more money)
    [​IMG]

ok as i wanted to get the cooler master thingy sorted i made a copy shape of the board and marked the holes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i was going to put it in that big space where the fan extention joints are...
    [​IMG]

but to keep it off the wood and cables is by using these old spacers that i got from my old computer case (the fish tank)
    [​IMG]

installed the spacers and yes i know its very wonky but i dont care cos i aint a carpter
    [​IMG]

5. Doom56

Doom56 What's a Dremel?

i installed more spacers for the meatal plate so the PSU can sit on by sticky tape then test fited it all and this is how it went
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

next was the water pump and sadly my D5 was dying in my computer as its not moving much water anymore so...dont worry i slaped in my EHEIM 1250 (from my green monster devil looking case) and didnt fit very well
    [​IMG]

so i took out the HDD out and refit the pump and screwed in
    [​IMG]

conected the pipe from the res to pump
    [​IMG]

then i left it for a while and got back to the things i needed to do first as it had to be done

ok i mounted the 32 LED base and cabled down the wires
    [​IMG]

i made a back plate for it and pritstick some alu tin foil and then nailed it to the block
    [​IMG]

and done...not bad eh altho i cant be bothered to clean it up
    [​IMG]

then i got the PCB board and sleaved the cables and spend an hour finding which wire was which as i forgot to lable them
    [​IMG]

when i done all that i move back to the box again and fitted the pipe from the CPU block to the res tank
    [​IMG]

here is a bracket i was going to use for the HDD and they seemed a bit to long
    [​IMG]

thats better
    [​IMG]

then i mounted the HDD on the side of the box and leveled it up later on after the pic was taken
    [​IMG]

installed the cables
    [​IMG]

back to the TFT screen i needed to reroot the power switch if i was going to cover the whole box later so here it is
    [​IMG]

then i went back to the cooler master thingy and soldered the 2 power wires for the 32 LED's
    [​IMG]

then tidyed my cables
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i installed the PSU and what a mess it was
    [​IMG]

so messy i coulnt stand it
    [​IMG]

6. Doom56

Doom56 What's a Dremel?

so i drilled a hole in the bottom of the box and fed the unnessery cables through it
    [​IMG]

getting cleaner
    [​IMG]

where the unwanted cables are (will sort it out later)
    [​IMG]

found my old Y piece and found it was covered in limescale
    [​IMG]

so i cleaned it all up and installed it so i can conect my fill port on the spare tube on the right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well thats it for now will post more at the end of this month when i install the 7950 GTX superclocked GPU and watercooled and most of all leak testing.

7. Doom56

Doom56 What's a Dremel?

Right thought i keep you updated cos this month im not gonna do much as i dont have much money to spend as i just blew under £400 on the EVGA 7950 superclocked PCI-e. also i blew my HDD on the computer im using now so i lost a lot but here is what i saved just before i did...

ok i was getting less things to do so i got some more stair bannasters and now i have 4 :)
    [​IMG]

i cut them down to 29" then sanded them down later (took me 5 hours to sand down them all)
    [​IMG]

i cut a rear boarder and made the side boarders and screwed them all togeather (i left the front due to no leg room)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

when i spent £70 on this MASSIVE wood it arrived very badly warped and phoned them up and got an exchange then it was warped too so i laid it flat and put heavy weights on it and left it for 4 months and here it is
    [​IMG]

then i mounted the leg frame on
    [​IMG]

then fliped it over and here is the results
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next the tricky bit planing to cut the hole out and after 2 days i got a final drawing and all marked on the table
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the next thing was i preped everything ready and i had to change the mounting the box to the table cos one cornor was 1/2cm longer and when i rechecked everything i got diffrent results so this is plan B
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ok now the most expencive job ever on a 4 weeks to order and £70 wood board is to cut the hole out.

first off i drilled hole on each cornor so i dont have to do a wonky job later on
    [​IMG]

then start to cut with a jig saw
    [​IMG]

and volia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Doom56

Doom56 What's a Dremel?

ok now on to the computer box preping
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i fliped the table over again so its flat and did a few mesurements and the rear leg support boarder was in the way so i had to remove it
    [​IMG]

i fliped the computer box over and moved it about to where i marked the lines early on then screwed it in

[​IMG]

then i got 3 people to help me with the flip again as it weighed a TON and here is the ending results
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i went to work on the back by putting the boarder on and this time lower
    [​IMG]

well thats it for now and the next thing to do is mod and fit the DVD combo drive in a wood case :p sounding good already then keep checking back here.

9. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

ohh I like it!
    Maybe the insides should be lined with something or painted black or white, for extra UV effect.

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The idea is nice but I think some parts looks kinda messy.. For example the power switches outside the case.

Looking forward to see this finished :)

11. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Yeah I think some new switch's are needed :)

12. spoon13

spoon13 What's a Dremel?

Agree with the rest on the switches but excellent progress so far and great idea.

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Looks good, and i'd wager the little bits will be resolved when the final stages come. Word of wisdom, though - make sure the glass/acrylic has a GOOD SEAL, otherwise you're really screwed when you spill something on here.

14. Geoff_Z

Geoff_Z What's a Dremel?

yeah... are you going to make the window flush with the table? once youve made adjustments to fit the window maybe you could glue a plastic liner around the edge. then use some sort of clear bath/window sealant. also check the quality of glass or plastic for hardness and strength.

15. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

One other thing to note; the fans on your rad blast downwards, that little 80mm on the back shoots outward.... how the hell is air going to get into that box?

16. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

I love this! :D

17. Doom56

Doom56 What's a Dremel?

the switchs are staying where it is due to no where else to put it and the hole with be meshed up and with a nice gental UV glow from inside

the reson the fans are this way is to push the heat from the rad out cos as if your a pro you want to keep the case air vacuam as possible. cos if i turn the fans the other way hell its pointless as its got 3X 120mm of hot ait in the case and a poor little 80mm fan taking it out and the motherboard over heats...

as for the window i had change of plans as i forgot to mention the WHOLE table top will be covered in 1pc toughend glass.

i need to upload some new pics cos i done a lot and just waiting for payday then i can get the mesh, glass, MCT-40, memory and OS then it will be up and running then do a lot of overclocking tests thats if asus is as good as they say compared to my DFI lanparty ULTRA NFII rev B (the overclockers dream mobo for the 32 bits)

18. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

wow man really love this project .
    keep up the good work

19. foundsoul

foundsoul What's a Dremel?

WOW looking great keep the good work up!

20. Doom56

Doom56 What's a Dremel?

ok heres an update and almost done now

i needed to get on with the dvd combi drive so i choped up some wood and did some quick messurements
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i drilled some more holes so i can stealth the door in wood
    [​IMG]

mounted the upper cover to the wood
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i needed to have a hard think and a few trys and tests for the led so when the door moves the wire moves and this is the results
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i mounted it on to the table and did the wires
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then moved on to the graphics card

this is the stock heatsinks it came with my 7950GTX and well looked plain just like the other makes
    [​IMG]

added some tubes ready
    [​IMG]

took the card in half ready for the water blocks to be fitted
    [​IMG]

1 heatsink off and this was it was like
    [​IMG]

took of the pads off and they felt like plasters lol
    [​IMG]

here are the water blocks to be mounted
    [​IMG]

i paste some heat transfer compounds and fitted both blocks on