1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: Score-Coder - !!minor update!! (13.03.04)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by OldManOfModding, 16 Jan 2004.

1. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

:rock: How cool would a desktop be??

2. OldManOfModding

OldManOfModding What's a Dremel?

ok here ya go.....

top to bottom.. main chassis feet and led holder, mobo tray
    right hand side is the backplate for the cards and the port section thing... still ideas ideas :D

[​IMG]

3. OldManOfModding

this would be cool.. ... what u guys think about painting the insides black?

4. Timdog

Timdog What's a Dremel?

Hello, m8. ;) Looking good so far. Maybe I'll see this at TsN's booth at Summer CPL. ;)

5. OldManOfModding

omghi2u timmeh.... unfortunately i wont b at summer cpl... bit too much money... :(

6. Poppa_joe

Poppa_joe What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

The black blade on the left is coated with industrial grade diamonds. It is designed for cutting thick iron and other metals. If the metal you are cutting is really hard or over 50mm thick use the diamond blade. For cutting the metal on your case and other thin metal, you should use the bit with the smallest teeth. For thin metal the small tooth blade cuts a lot cleaner and faster. I hope this helps. One of these days I really need to write a tutorial on jigsaw use. By that way I like your case idea so far, but I would like to see a picture of the score-coder. Is it like a scan-tron reader or somthing?

7. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

:) Use the right blade and tools are important ! I would be cool if you paint the inside black !

8. OldManOfModding

ahh k.. that's what i thought it was.... yea the steel is only like 2 mm thick at most... i was wondering whether it was something to do with cutting laminates or whatever... but you have cleared that up nicely...

as far as seeing what the guy had, i dont have any pictures of it... but basically it was a black 1U rack case with a 6.5 inch tft in the lid and a blue 2x16 lcd in the front... that was it... obviously a bunch of wires etc from the back for ext. monitor and such.. but the cool thing it had a built in wifi and bluetooth antenna.. dunno what use the bluetooth would be, but the wifi was cool...

anyways... cant do much/any painting atm. it's freezing cold and pissing it down with rain :(

9. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

Here is cold .But didn't stop me moding :baby:

10. OldManOfModding

it stops me spraying/painting... as I have to do it outside.. i have a basement, but that's in dire need of cleaning..... :D

11. OldManOfModding

oh guys... here's a stupid question....

how do u take the blades out of a fan so u can paint them? and be able to put them back together so they work ?

cant find anything on the net... or in here for that matter :waah:

12. OldManOfModding

so i figured out how to dismantle the fan. so i'll find out when i put it back together....

the case lid has been sanded and primed. The drive cage has been primed and so has part of the back plate.. i've used white primer just in case i want to paint the insides the same as the case.... this is something thati'm not decided on yet. so i've got some pictures, and when it's all painted up i'll stick them up on here.

13. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Lookin good so far :thumb: I actualy want a case exactly like the one your chopping up (after not only doing a project on a lay flat, but now having a lay flat as a server, I'm falling in love with lay flat computers).

14. OldManOfModding

yea it's cool... i've had this case for god knows how many years... i dunno what ppl's problem is nowadays with always supplying pc's with a tower case unless asked for... and there's not many desktop case manufacturers around any more...

anyways... here's a pic of the fan.. painted so u can see the rough colour that it's going to be.. The missus picked this one.. i quite like the colour. now bear in mind, the camera has a strong flash, and the fan has only had one coat of colour... The paint is a metallic blue as u can see.. i've goit loads of pics now,... gunna sand the primer back again and then put the first coat opf colour on the lid.... keep an eye on the next post :)

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

No pic of fan :p And btw, my camera also has a super bright flash, wanna know the trick of how to get it to be not so bright? 1. Don't stand so close, use the zoom feature if needbe. 2. Make sure there isn't any really bright light sources in the area. 3. See if your camera has an ajustable exposure feature and ajust it down.

16. OldManOfModding

here's some pics..

i've also primered the inside of the lid and the drive cage too.. but that's just as a precaution.. mebbe gunna use black paint inside... still havent decided yet. Ideas? The lid has had 2 coats of primer now... ready for final sanding of that and topcoat start..

The Top-Coat Paint Colour
    [​IMG]

The Sacrifical Fan
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. OldManOfModding

hehe lol... u quick on the draw there.... but the prob i have. it's an old digital camera and there's no zoom... fixed focus too :(

18. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Looks good :thumb: And btw, I see what your doing wrong with your camera, you need to have absolutely no reflective surfaces directly infront of the camera, IE, you can't have the light reflecting straight back at the camera. Try and go at it at an angle and it should fix it. Anyway, do a satin black finish inside the case, and to a dark deep blue outside, that'll look awesome with a few blue fans like the one you've got. :dremel: Mod on.

[EDIT] Woot! 700th Post!!! [/EDIT]

19. OldManOfModding

ahh yea that's what i figured. as far as the colour goes, that's the colour that the lid/backplate is going to be. as for moddint of the back i'm still undecided about putting plexi on the rear-end... there's definately going to be some sort of remade front on it. really dark tinted plexi for the front.may even paint the rear-end black ?

hehehehe

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

If you really want to do something intersting on the back, I've got just the thing :naughty:. Do a complete mirror finish on some super shiny silver paint, THEN, mount some super bright blue LED's on the back (4 of emm, one in each corner) so that the rear end "shines". That would be trick :thumb: Git moddin!