1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Slimbox, small fileserver. Update 15/2, chuck the choke

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rool, 8 Sep 2004.

1. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

Hi all,
    Been lurking here for sometime now, looking at all the great mods you guys come up with. I've had some projects going on in the past but I never seem to finish them. Well this time I'll make sure I will, introducing the slim router/firewall/fileserver.

First drawings were of a m-atx based pc, with the main purpose of file storage. Space for four harddrives and a 550W psu, while still maintaining a relatively small size, 250x340x140mm. More on that here.

[​IMG] [[​IMG]

This version quickly got scrapped as I used the motherboard in my htpc instead. I almost forgot about the project until I found a Via Epia 800 motherboard in my box of spare parts. Bought it several years ago to use in a htpc-system like the gtr-pc.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyway, I started on a new, more compact layout. Only one harddrive, a smaller PSU and the Epia motherboard.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The measurements would be 200x280x100mm and mainly be used as a router/firewall.

Today I started chopping up some wood, using 8mm MDF.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Both motherboard and PSU are mounted using motherboard standoffs.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's going to be really tight in there. I have to get a new second NIC as my old 3com was waay to big. The harddrive will hang upside down in the rounded bars seen in the sketch.

The whole thing will have a cover of plexiglass, heated and bent.

I've got a few questions. Has anyone thought of potential dangers using a de-cased psu? It's a 200W, should have good airflow in the case and wouldn't experience such high loads.
    And is it ok to mount a harddrive upside down? The one in the pictures is obviously not the one I'll use later =).

Comments welcome

Last edited: 15 Feb 2005
  2. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

looks a bit compact and thats great :hehe: , the only thing to do now is to start modding :dremel:

3. drinn

drinn What's a Dremel?

That transparent car looks nice :rock:

4. Menthor

Menthor What's a Dremel?

That audi model is cool, where did you get it ?
    I'll be watching this work ;)

5. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

Update #1

Thanks for the comments.
    Hehe, it is very compact. The thought was to build a box that could be hidden anywhere.

The transparent car shell was bought several years ago from a r/c-shop. It's an Audi A4 and looks quite nice, as long as you look at it from the front. That project was scrapped because it just got too tight inside.

On with the small update.
    Got some electronics today

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3 2x16 LCDs and one graphical 64x128 + a bunch of LEDs.

Also found an aluminium profile (90 degree angle) that I might use for the front. Don't know if a clean black front or the one pictured below would look better.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm going to paint the front black and and then add a sheet of tinted plexi in front. The black box in the picture on the left marks where the LCD would be. The idea is to keep a very clean look when turned off and then make the lcd appear when turned on.
    The image in the middle shows the alu profile and the front. The profile is 25mm high, a quater of the whole height.
    The right image shows a size comparison of the lcd and the front panel.

I don't quite know how to attach the front and back sections to the bottom panel. I'm able to hide screws quite nice with the alu profile and perhaps add two allen bolts at the top to hold the "ribs".

To be continued...

6. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

Made some sketches of the front with the bolts on.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Have to see what looks best, two or four bolts.
    The positions of the bolts are pretty much fixed as this is where the mountingpoints for the bars are.

7. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

Cool Ideas, I like the exposed pu. I generally mod my pu's in some form or another. I have not had trouble with exposed pu's, but they are DANGEROUS. Since your making this for yourself, I would go for it. If you are planning on giving/selling this; then no way!

<butt covering> I am not an electrican or electronics expert so if someone posts that is one, I'd listen to them...</butt covering>

Have fun :dremel:

8. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

Ok, back from the dead.
    My old PSU died and I couldn't find a new one that would fit. When that finally arrived it was time for school finals and projects. Did the last one yesterday so now, finally, there's time for modding.

Got the frame bolted together, the new PSU ( now encased =) ) visible.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Found a suitable harddrive, a seagate 40gb. It's very low profile and fits nicely between the bars. If I could find 90-degree molexes I could fit two drives up there. Otherwise I have to turn the drive.
    [​IMG]

With the new PSU all bolt positions had to be changed. As I wanted the PSU to remain encased, the plug would stick out the side. This meant that I had to turn the motherboard 90 degrees. All ports will now face one side and it's a tight fit. You can also see the new NIC. It's damn small.
    [​IMG]

I currently have one problem. The PSU is too long. It has some kind of "dongle" attached that I don't know the function of. The plan currently is to cut the wires, lengthen them and place it somewhere else.
    Anyone know what this could be? It has two wires running to it and looks like a trafo, big coil with a metal core.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Do you think it would be ok to move it?

Finally a shot of the front where the hole for the LCD can be seen through the protective sheet. Also in the picture, the aluminium L-profile.
    [​IMG]

Until next time...

9. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

It looks like a power "inverter" (i don`t know the name in english) or adapter of 220v to 12v. In ATX PSUs its inside between the 2 or 3 heatsink of the mosfets.

You can keep the PSU encased and pass the wires through a hole in the shell in a more convenient position to avoid turning the mobo and other problems.

10. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Well, as bootupbuddha already said, take the PSU apart, and stuff that into your case. Just like him, I'm not an electrician either... However, taken apart, it would save you some space.

Nice work by the way, I subscribed.

11. zx2assassin

zx2assassin What's a Dremel?

transformer I believe is the word you were looking for, and as long as you don't cut any wires you should easily be able to move it

12. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Looking great! Keep it up!

13. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Yeah, thx!
    I know transformer word but i wasn`t sure of the meaning in this case. (well i listen "Transformer" and think in Optimus prime hehehehe).

14. Pelihirmu

Pelihirmu What's a Dremel?

Hey! Give me that audi? Will you :D You wount need it :rolleyes: I've nothing say about our current mod than just it's... looking just fine :thumb: Nice and small. And those mini cases are very handly in LAN Partys :)
    no, really. It a piece of an modern art.. or something.

* I'm tired so... nothing *

15. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments all. Really keeps the spirit up. I don't think I'll strip the PSU. It'll fit if I relocate this "dongle" and keeping it encased makes it feel a bit more safe, as bootupbuddha mentioned.
    Shouldn't a transformer have 4 wires connected to it? 2 in and 2 out. This one has only 2 coming in.
    I was planning to cut the wires, drill a hole in the side of the PSU-casing, adding some wire and then reconnecting them. That wouldn't mean any problems, right?
    I can't imagine that the length of those wires are critical. I just have to find some tools to get the job done.

I'm currently waiting for some electronic supplies so that I can solder the LCD. I haven't tried it since I bought it so I actually don't know if it works.

Come and get it and it's yours =). Don't know if I have all the stickers left though.

Again, thanks for the support.

16. H2O-G33K

H2O-G33K What's a Dremel?

I think you'll find it's a choke rather than a transformer :)

17. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

Uhm, what's a choke and what does it do?

18. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

Ok, so I'm about to lengthen the wires to the "choke". The ones currently there are 20 AWG, 0.5mm^2. The only wires I have at home are 18 and 22 AWG. I'm guessing that 18 is the one to choose as it is thicker. Am I right?

19. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

a choke is an inductor, and yeah, you should be able to lengthen the wires without any adverse effects. However, given chokes are only usefull with AC, i would shield it, and keep the wires away from important components. I'm not entirely sure about what kinds of EM fields iron core chokes and transformers put out.

20. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

looking very nice and interesting so far. Do you have a linky to the mobo you are using. Im trying to find something similar for a linux firewall in my Apt that i could use. Maybe a file server later on!