1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Specced ITX 1.0

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Gurt11, 6 Dec 2015.

1. Gurt11

Gurt11 New Member

Right now, things are like this. BUT there’s a problem, quite a hot one, that needs to be addressed. And it’ll mean some changes to the build…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the PROBLEM then. Those that already stated their concerns about the heat in this system: you were right. With the top or side panel off, it’s no problem. But once it’s closed up, oh man it’s like an oven in there. 90+ °C after playing an hour of GTA V is waaay to much. Plus the tubing gets a little ‘soft’ again due to the heat, which caused fittings to loosen up and LEAK. Changes have to be made, only esthetically, I don’t know if it’ll do it any good… Let’s find out?

[​IMG]

This is what I drew up… generally cutting out bigger parts in the rad cover. Going to test temps with this because I can do this without having to take the whole build apart. If not good, same treatment will ensue for the front rad cover.

+ I have room at the back for a 92mm fan. My eye fell on a Be Quiet Silent Wings 2… Still having to make that decision though…

[​IMG]

2. Gurt11

Gurt11 New Member

UPDATE

So, I did some testing with the bottom rad cover off. As such:

[​IMG]

Didn’t help a thing, so some things needed more changing. Panels off. Fun fact: my ‘standard’ screwdriver was just the right length to support my graphics card :D

[​IMG]

Another surprise soon followed. The computer in this open state was still very usable, so I did. But the lighting effect against my wall I did not expect. It’s crazy beautiful…

[​IMG]

Anyway, drilled some holes, had to file and sand them down ofcourse, but the panel is going to be repainted after this anyway.

[​IMG]

Very nice Shadow Wings 2 fan by Be Quiet. 92mm version. Sleeved that!

[​IMG]

Then took the jigsaw to the back panel. Made this hole in 1 go. Perfect.

[​IMG]

Fan on. The M3 holes I made were júst a little too small for the plastic push-in-inserts (instead of screws) that Be Quiet delivers with its fans. Had to wiggle a bit with the drill (M3). M4 would have been too big. But the caps of the inserts look soooo nice on the outside.

[​IMG]

So I tested like this. (Took the wrap off of the bottom rad cover because I made marks on it when planning to cut it up, woops.)

[​IMG]

More testing like this. Visually not as pleasing as before. But a necessary change I’m afraid :(

[​IMG]

And temperatures are good! On full load everything stays around 70°C. No noticeable added noise. Happy me.