1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Terra

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by CatalinM, 23 Aug 2016.

1. CatalinM

CatalinM What's a Dremel?

I think it would be a great idea to start off this project with a sort of disclaimer: this project was inspired by the awesome work done by Gtek with his Tenuis and Tenuis 2 projects. Call it a tribute of sorts.

The main idea was to build a media player machine for my living room. It was initially based on a Raspberry Pi - a lot smaller than what you guys are building here. However, in the end I decided upon an Odroid XU4. Still small, but more powerful.

First step, as always, make a project. Nothing too detailed, as I had a pretty good idea in my head already. Just had to put down some measurements and make everything fit together nicely.

[​IMG]

Once I had all measurements done and noted down, it was time to get cutting on the raw materials.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutting was pretty smooth, but I still needed to sand down the edges in order to achieve a good finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end of the day, a test fit was in order. This is when I realised I made some errors in the measurements and I needed to redo the main aluminium plate.

[​IMG]

With that one redone, it was time to drill some holes for the screws, tap some threads and add mounting posts for the Odroid.

[​IMG]

All screw holes will be countersunk. I'm using M2.5 screws, 4mm length. Would have wished to hide them, but due to size and material availability I am using 1.5mm sheet aluminium, so I cannot really tap partial threads... without coming out the other side that is.

[​IMG]

To be continued...

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Building a tiny Tenuis? -Sounds cool. :D At this size you could get away with epoxy use.

3. CatalinM

CatalinM What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Cheapskate!

Epoxy would've been a solution, but I don't think it would've afforded me much room for error. Having screws in place means I can do a lot of test fits and get things right in small steps.

Having said this, I did take some notes from Gtek's work and I'll use some metal filler and/or epoxy to hide some of the screws and joins which I know I'll never dismantle again.

And now, progress!

I started by joining the backplate and the main plate together, through a couple aluminum L profiles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was the easy part. In order to continue, I had to drill the connector holes in the backplate, which I can tell you was a real PITA. Not having a CNC or any similar hand driven machine, I had to drill holes and then file everything until it fit. Came out pretty well, even if not perfect.

[​IMG]

You can also see the base plate attached to the whole thing. Next up, was the hard drive cradle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aaaaand, a test fit:

[​IMG]

Now, time to work on the wooden cover. This will be held in place by an L rod in the front, giving it a little clearing space from the main aluminum plate, and an aluminum profile at the back.

Here are the front and side pieces, with the L rod not yet glued together.

[​IMG]

Epoxy is your friend, on small pieces:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Takes a lot of time for that to dry though, so I took the time to drill some holes and install the brass threaded inserts into the wooden parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top and front sides glued with brass inserts and hex spacers installed partially:

[​IMG]

One day later, the L beam was dried and cured, ready for a test fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fits rather nicely after a few adjustments, so I can now glue the wooden panels together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting together business and pleasure, in a way!