1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: The praetorian

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by _ferry_, 13 Dec 2005.

1. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Like coolmiester i was also a contestant of the coolermaster casemod contest. This is my submission for it. I directly c/p the text so keep in mind it's written for the contest, hope you don't mind my bad english either :hip: I prefer modding above study'ing english ';)

The concept:
    I had still a unmodded praetorian casing at home. I've won it at a casemod contest here in Holland. I decided to use that one because it's based on aluminium wether the centurion is made of steel. After all this didn't affect the mod very much, but the name of the case brought me the idea. I was sitting down, with the case on my desk, talking with my dad if he had any ideas for it. I was thinking about creating something stylish, much plexiglass stuff. But i knew everyone could have that idea. So suddenly i noticed the praetorian logo, and used google to find out what it means. A short description: A praetorian was some kind of bodyguard in the roman time. Now the idea was born, i directly started thinking about stones, wood, ropes end offcourse a roman sword.

I made some sketches during classes, and the idea was born. Like another casemod i've produced it's a style some people may like and others not, but one thing is for shure: It's very original.

[​IMG]
    I started with striping down the case, sidepanels, connectors and motherboard ray were removed.

[​IMG]
    After cutting out the window i added some wood, you might already noticed the shape of a real window ;)

[​IMG]
    While doing the window i made a start with the sword. While i was searching for sword on the internet i found all kinds of swords but most were equipped with gold, facets or diamond style. I don't believe they realy had those nice looking swords. Never seen a police with a silver gun as well hehe. The sword is made of a metal strip, i gave it the right shape with a circulair cutter and sanded it down.

[​IMG]
    The first handlebar cracked down because the hole wasn't big enough so i made a new one witch didn't.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I went on with the sidepanel and top. Note to do it one by one, and not doing 1 layer in once. Otherwise the putty schrinks when it gets hard and after that it cracks. (yep, figured it out by doing it on that way :( )

[​IMG]
    While i was waiting before the putty was hard i made 2 holders for the sword. The wood was brand new, the old looking effect was made by a heat gun (or flame).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The top panel. I engraved spacings between the stones and added some fake cracks and signs in it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm very lucky my mom's job is to paint ceramic things. I'm from a creative family so i used her paint to create the stones.

2. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I requested a large image from the praetorian logo and added “the” before it. After that printed it out and took a soldering bolt to get it on the wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I took 2 metal pipes and mounted them with milliput beyond the front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The sidepanel, now with engravings and ready to paint.

[​IMG]
    I was searching for a good way to get the cable's in style. Rope was the perfect solution for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Offcourse everything should be in style so the cooldrive 6 has lost his front and received a new wooden one. I glued some spacers on the buttons and made a new panel button. That button panel is very thin so you can press it and the buttons still function. Note that also this wood was brand new.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The finished panels. The rust on the metal pipes in the front has been made by special rust paint. It creates real rust in a small hour.

[​IMG]
    I wanted to prevent watching trough the air intakes so i took some “jutte” in Dutch and gave it a old look with some brown paint. Don't know the right english word for it but it's common used to put around flowers in the ground to get them easy in and out without damaging them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These fake bolts are made of milliput with some grey paint and rust on it.

[​IMG]
    The “jutte” beyond the intake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Because i had some time left i made a keyboard in the same style.

3. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When modding a keyboard a mice should be the next thing. I added putty on it, but it became hard in the time it was unused in a not correctly closed box so it was hard to get it nice flat on the mice. But it turned out absolutely great due to the fact it was a bit hardened, wild gaps and a real stone skin were the result of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After multiple layers of paint and some sand mixed with clear paint the result was great. I showed some people the last two pictures and they could hardly see there was a mice in the middle.

[​IMG]
    Also a slot-in dvd drive to stealth.

[​IMG]
    A view from the inside, i forgotten to make pics while modding that part, but note the cables witch are surrounded by a rope and the wood on the side, bottom and top. I used a different coolermaster cooler due to the problem a hyper6+ won't fit in a praetorian case.

These were all the “in progress” pics. After completing it i noticed i forgotten to make some detailed pics while modding. Anyway, you can see the result below :)

4. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    The mice on a coolermaster mousepad. I added some rust on it to fit the theme.

[​IMG]
    I bought a 14” tft screen to make this casemod complete and mounted a wooden front on it including a custom made candle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I choose a green light theme because other colors are giving a more modern or science fiction theme while green gives the casemod a classic and a positive dirty look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Found some metal balls at home wich look like cannon balls hehe

[[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some close up's from the candle because i havn't made any in-progress pictures. It's made from aluminium tube and plates. After that i sanded it, added some brown paint and rust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

6. slum

slum What's a Dremel?

Wonderful work. The detail is outstanding. This is one of my favorite mods of all time.

By the way, the english word for 'jute' is 'burlap'

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Great work... personally I don;t like it.. but it's still great work. Good paintwork on the stone effect, and good modelling. You're clearly insane, but I applaude you for your insanity. :thumb:

8. Crazed_climber

Crazed_climber What's a Dremel?

Wow man, I gotta say I love your case. Its such an original mod. My one word of advise would be to maybe make a completely wooden front panel. The side looks awesome but the front looks a tiny bit tacky. Anyways nice job! :thumb:

Last edited: 14 Dec 2005
  9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Very nice, not 100% on the front though, still needs more ;)

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

wow great job ! Very original ! respect 8)