1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Timeout

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by robthebob, 1 Aug 2003.

1. robthebob

robthebob What's a Dremel?

I've been browsing through the various project logs and mods people on this site have done, and to be honest I'm very impressed. So much so, in fact, that I was inspired to start my own modding project.

I had an old motherboard/cpu etc lying around that I needed to turn into a server for my house next year. However the various bits are sadly caseless, so I decided to manufacture one.

(This is the point where you get worried about what the guy with one post is going to get up to :D and with good reason!)

I don't really have time for anything hardcore, so I opted for the plain ridiculous - a cardboard box. One quick trip to Tesco later and I emerged with this beauty:

[​IMG]
    (The custard cream box in the background, despite having many strong points including a removable motherboard tray (read - another piece of cardboard), didn't quite make the grade ;) )

This Timeout box, then, was to be the hub of operations for a household of eight people!

The first thing I did was to check how everything fitted inside the box:

[​IMG]

This gave me four 3 1/2" bays and one 5 1/4" above them. The PSU overhangs the motherboard slightly, but three coke bottle tops later, and everything's fine :D

The next step is to cut fan holes for the PSU, slots for the floppy and zip drives, and IO holes.

Any feedback welcome.

PS I am not in any way trying to compare my project to anyone elses in this forum. One distinguishing factor sets yours apart from mine - they're good!

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Truly ghetto :rock: I wanna see a window and some cathodes ;)

3. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Oh yeah window and cathode is a must...make this one the ultimate cardboard case:rock:

4. Crazith

Crazith What's a Dremel?

lol don't worry the mod I am doing is my first mod also

and I have to say you need some paint and get some stencials and put a nice name on it :)

5. [twig]clown

[twig]clown What's a Dremel?

2 words.......... Ghetto!!! closely followed by, R0x0rz!!!!

Agree'd a suttle lick of paint, window, cathodes, and stealth those drives ;)

:thumb: :thumb:

-cLoWn

6. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

And how about a water cooling setup in there just for good measure :worried:

Like it so far,

Darkside.

7. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

8. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

Well, looks better than my cardboard computer, at least :D
    Linky

9. robthebob

robthebob What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot for the support guys!

I've been pretty busy lately, so I've not made much progress except cutting the PSU, floppy and zip drive holes. The cd drive and IO will follow shortly :D I'll post a couple more pics tomorrow as well.

Nice case bard - it's going to be hard to live up to that standard ;)