1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Tomoyo-chan! Updated 24/10 PSU modded + pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Guest-2808, 5 Sep 2003.

1. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

[​IMG]

Nearly finished my PSU! :rock:

The case is from an old Compaq PSU (the fan used to be internal), and the PSU electronics are from an old case. 450W of power, and with a low speed fan quite quiet! I need to get a better quality fan to make less noise, and put some rubber in to isolate it.

Had plenty of fun playing with PSUs to make this baby. Didn't blow anything up though :D

I might one day paint it black. I sanded it down loads to remove all the paint, and it looked nice(er than then pictures) so I kept it.

I'm starting to wish I had gone with white, but no, I'm happy...

[​IMG]

Just so you can see the insides. Yes, that's a window in the side, it needs some internal lighting. My brother got a good laugh from having a window in the PSU, although it's by no means original...

The other bit of plexi covers the front outlet holes. I have no idea why Compaq wanted them, after all it makes more sense to suck air out of the case rather than have some of it heated and then pumped back in. The back grill was removed and replaced with wire mesh.

I also finished spraying the only non-removable bit of plastic on the case (or, at least, I couldn't figure out how to remove it!) I also cut out some of the fan grills, since I prefer to either use my own or none at all (for internal fans kept well away from fingers etc). I seem to have removed several kilograms of metal from this case :dremel:

!!! Prizes for anyone who can get the reference in the name !!!

MoJo

2. djrusty

djrusty What's a Dremel?

Lookin' good fella - how about getting an illuminated fan instead of that black one? That would light it up nicely.

:idea:

3. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

Not a bad idea at all mate, I'll look into it :)

MoJo

4. Guest-2808

Guest-2808 Guest

I silenced my PSU with a Zalman fan running in "silent" mode with the supplied adaptor. I also put some rubber mat between it and the metal top of the PSU, and held it in place not with screws but with elastic cord. It is not virtually silent, especially inside a case, and gives a good amount of airflow sine there is only one path for the air to take.

MoJo