1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project Total Annihilation

Discussion in 'Modding' started by zero0ne, 19 Jul 2004.

1. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

Well guessing by my title, you all should know what the project will be themed after :)

if not, it will be themed around an old game called Total Annihilation created by Chris Taylor when he was at Cavedog (now Atari, well Atari owns the rights to it)

Right now I am in the planning and pre-planning of the watercooling setup and have started painting the frame.

I am using a Coolermaster Centerion 2
    http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...serial=CAC-T02&other_title=CAC-T02Centurion 2

and the frame will be the green color from the game of "nanolathing" (gotta really know about the game atleast somewhat to understand me :p)

Right now I'm having difficulty with the primer on the part of the case where the mobo would go... it just doesnt want to stick to the case after i sanded it down... its all bumpy and easily sands completely off...

Also, since i dont have a camera that is even remotly decent, pictures will be sporadic of anything actually done etc (as i can take screenshots of the CAD drawings)

once i finish painting, on to ideas that i am still trying to come up with for the case in general, i know it will involve a few custom made fan grills and a window or two, and the whole plexiglass enclosure for the watercooling setup
    :)

2. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

lol since i have one post it says "whats a dremel?" :D
    EDIT: forgot to tell everybody how i happened onto the site, well it was actually from procooling, they say this is the "hands-down" best site/forum/community for case modding :thumb:

3. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I loved TA, and I look forward to your project.

That case looks like it first to begin with.

4. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

I still play TA from time to time. :D

Good luck to you on your mod, I'll be watching this one!

5. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

one idea i originally had was to find some small models (i mean like smaller than hotwheels) that looked like units from the game (or atleast somewhat close) and make a little battle of sorts on the bottom of the case... of course the watercooling tubing may affect that idea, along with the fact that it just doesnt seem like a decent thing to do

6. AnarKy

AnarKy What's a Dremel?

omg, TA :p

I played that for around 1-2 years strong and hard and even got in X. Played along the pros like saint, mastah, crip and rugga.

X_AirBl@de, ahhhh the memories :p

7. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

Well i found a place that does custom fan grills etc.. and i plan on hitting that up eventually, but as of now i still continue to work on painting, sanding, and paying off the credit card :(

oh and ill have pics of the frame in its primer coat eventually(once friend gets his but over to my house with digicam)

now that i know that there are people who play/played TA here, i was wondering what you think of me making the frame the green nano color (or close to it) and then doing a uber light coat of UV green dye (when i say light coat i mean not even but just a whoosh over and not cover everything)

would that/could that look decent??
    (to kinda give it a nanolathing appearence..)

And the 2 last things ive thought of, the top case panel will be have "Total Annihilation" cut out in it like it is in the game (same appearence that is) And i am trying to figure out a way to build a custom res to look like the energy storage in TA (hopefully it will have lights that can do the same effect like it does in the game with changeing colors like it does... if you have an idea on how to get that going, feel free to post it)

-Zero0ne

8. SilentDeath

SilentDeath What's a Dremel?

Sounds good, but what would be even cooler is a gloss black side panel, with a Commander or something airbrushed into it, then the UV paint coming from his nanolathe tool.

I've got no idea how you'd get it to show up.... Perhaps mount the blacklight like so:

Code:
                 | [_________] |
                 |  _________  |
    panel ==>    | [_________] |
                 |             |

9. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

I like that idea... :)

im going to do that for sure...

I'll have to do some calling around about airbrushing in my area as i suck at painting...

10. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

ok question goes out to all who reads this...

Im looking for a company that will custom build a small enclosure out of acrylic (well at least bend/cut/drill the acrylic for me) and has somewhat decent prices... I don't want to spend 100+ bucks on something like that...

all dimensions etc of the box will be fully complete and will be completed using Autodesk Inventor...

on other news, I'm almost done sanding the primer down, but im going to have to put on another coat in some areas as ive sanded down to the steel...
    (waiting until i pay my CC off so i can actually buy things again :sigh: )

11. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

will be starting a thread in project logs once i get more cash flow/more work done/digital camera....

12. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

I look forward to this mod, TA is still the best RTS I've ever played.

13. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

ok this has been a long time coming, but i just wanted to let eferybody know im still alive and now that TA's "spiritual sequel' will be coming out in about a year, i will be pushing this design over to that game instead of original TA, for lack of ideas, images to use etc. :)

you all have heard about Supreme Commander correct?

(if not check it out on gamespy)