1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:U-235 - COMPLETED!!!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ouija, 11 Dec 2002.

1. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

As well as my home server project here I am building a small form factor dedicated games server for LANs. I was going to buy the Shuttle SK41G this month, but I'd prefer to wait until next payday. I have the following bits and pieces for it already.

[​IMG]
    IBM 7200RPM Deskstar 40Gb on special for £45 from KustomPCs

[​IMG]
    256Mb OCZ PC2700 DDR will suffice

[​IMG]
    I'm going to use this old Duron 800 to get it up and running so I can install everything on the HDD. Will be getting an XP1800+ for it at some point

[​IMG]
    2 Antec Tri-Light 80mm fans and black anodized grills.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2003
  2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Sounds good ...

Looking forward to the mods and the pics :D

3. ouija

Well it's almost xmas, so pics will be up very soon :D

Last edited: 11 Jan 2003
  4. ouija

Hmmm.. more pics, I'm bored. Sorry about the LED brightness, I'm only using a 7.5 AC/DC adapter to power the fans.

[​IMG]
    Without flash. I need a tripod ;)

[​IMG]
    With flash

5. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Are you sure its a good idea to use an IBM Deskstar (Deathstar!) for a LAN server given their somewhat shaky reliability record? :eyebrow:

I have seen quite a few people on these forums saying they have had problems with these, and I have had one die on me myself!

Is it the 60GXP model?

6. ouija

Hmmm... no, but I didn't think they were that bad... I have a maxtor 5400RPM 60Gb drive that's supposed to be for a PC for someone else... I could always swap them :naughty:

7. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Well my personal tally is:

1x 30gig IBM 75GXP Deathstar - Dropped dead - now a paperweight.

1x 40gig IBM 60GXP Deathstar - Had problems powering up, then trashed its own install of WinXP!

So I am a little wary of IBM's!

Currently at home I have 2x 60gb Maxtors running in RAID0 - and they have been running smoothly for nearly a year now.

Maybe you could post in the hardware forum - ask how many people have had an IBM snuff it on them - get an idea of how bad they are

:naughty:

8. ouija

Maybe I'll just take the 60Gb Maxtor I've been tempted to nab for a while :)
    It's brand new, only 5400RPM but it's not like I'm doing large data transfers it's only as a games server not a fileserver.

9. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

I think its the same drive as I have in my 2nd PC - Maxtor 60gig 5400rpm, and that can stream films, rip dvd's, and my main pc can burn cd's from files stored on that one so i would say it is plenty fast enough - unless you are planning to run a gigbit LAN at home... ;)

10. ouija

Here is the hard drive I have opted for now. It's larger. Space isn't really an issue, but it's Maxtor! :D

[​IMG]
    Brand new Maxtor 5400RPM 60Gb

11. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

at least you decided against the IBM... my mate's had 3 each time made in a different country :eyebrow: all of them spent a nice return back to eBuyer... it's one way to keep your system fast... change hard drives every week...

:brrr:

12. ouija

Heh, well the IBM was a warrenty replacement which is why it was on special. There were 8 in total, so I guess it doesn't say much for the Deskstars... oh well

13. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Thats the same Maxtor as I got! hehe - Its been worked HARD for 2 months now and so far no probs :clap:

14. ouija

I also have one in my main machine. I'ts been going for about 2 years now with absolutely no problems whatsoever :clap:

.... touch wood :worried:

15. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I've got a 40gig 75GXP and I've been capturing and encoding video on it for 2 years. No problems as of yet but watch it die as soon as I turn it on tonight! :eyebrow:

16. M0rf

M0rf What's a Dremel?

I also am against IBM, but i have to say the drives of theres i have work fine :/. i have a 15GB which i have had for about 3 years or more, this is my nix and is on 24/7, i have a 40GB which i hve had for about 2 years this works great and an 80GB which is just as good both these are in my main machine. so although IBM suxx mine seem to be ok ( /me cross's fingers tight and waits for his machine to die )

17. ouija

I prefer Western Digital or Maxtor but we're getting a little off-topic... :)

I'm gonna draw up plans for the windows etc using a cardboard box :)

Piccies soon

18. ouija

Original Plan Deleted

Last edited: 5 Jan 2003
  19. hprcrazyguy

hprcrazyguy Minimodder

Wow, that looks pretty good. Nice planning you are doing. :) One question, are those 2 80mm fans gonna fit in there? Seems like it may be a really tight fit. Looking good though. :)

20. ouija

They should do... if not, I'll move them :)

[edit] Heh, all I can do is plan. I don't have the shuttle yet and payday is 3 weeks away :( I could go and buy one, but then I'd be skint... plus I don't actually need it finished until February.