1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Ultra Violet

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The Infamous Mr D, 18 Aug 2008.

1. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster to these forums.

I've long since fancied having a crack at modding a case, so when a friend offloaded an old case on me, I figured "What the hell? Why not?"!

The much neglected and extremely unloved case in question is a RaidMax Cobra...

[​IMG]

A bit unsightly looking, but a little tender love and care can fix that!

First job, get that ghastly yellow acrylic and those tacky eye things out...

[​IMG]

Then out with the non-removable motherboard tray and the hard drive rack...

[​IMG]

I'm going to knock up a proof of concept in the next few days to point the direction which this is going. Until then... :)

2. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Love the Ultra Violet banner at the top. :)

Edit you have the same speackers as me. :) 5.1 system it rocks.

3. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I really like your banner also! Nice! Also, my parents have those speakers, only 2.1...

Anyway, I hope you will do something to the front fan grills...they are very restrictive at the moment...

4. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

I'm wondering why that one in the top right still needs some holes.
    I would go for a 160mm in the front(if they even make that).

5. icutebluezone

Yeh i seen that too lol. maybe he going to install a 2x 120 radiator and not use the external 3.5 bays?

Waiting for update. :dremel:

6. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I would guess with the project name being ultra violet, that there will be uv lighting. When I think of good uv mods, it usually includes watercooling. But anyway, whatever happens, I am sure it will be great. Mod on!!!

7. The Infamous Mr D

Okay, I feel a bit less of a shill now I've got my ideas in order a bit better :)

So, the case is going to an all black inverted ATX affair, accented with purple lights. Alas, while I've had some experience with watercooling, my budget for this project (consisting of recycled tat here and there) won't stretch to watercooling, but it's my intention to optimise airflow as much as possible for a bit overclocking goodness.

[​IMG]

This gives a better idea of what I'm aiming for - alter the front fascia with a bit of filler and sanding, recut the inlets and add black acrylic to shroud a channel for the PSU. I'll be including a seperate air channel for the internal components - I'm not settled on the exact specification, but at least this is a step forward :)

Last edited: 18 Aug 2008
  8. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Looking nice:)

Why not get just some bits for watercooling and make it look like it has w/c while you save up for the other bits?:p

9. The Infamous Mr D

Update time!

I've finally managed to order a rotary tool and some tool bits so I can get to the important and enjoyable stage of cutting things up. I've also ordered a hot glue gun and some clamps as well; it should all be with me mid-week. Then I can get to the important job of modding!

Just as an aside, does anyone know of a good online store or bricks-and-mortar retailer in the UK that does good quality automotive filler ie. Bondo or another quality product? I've been shopping around the obvious outlets and only a handful sell similar products but I've been warned off cheap imitations.

As for parts, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I have plenty of leftover parts from doing builds for friends and family but most of it is stone-age (as computer tech goes). So we'll see how things pan out before I splash too much cash on it :)

10. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

nice sounds sweet cant wait to see some progress!!!

11. n0cturnull

n0cturnull Desperate to MOD!! =P

sweet, can't wait for another update

:D

12. icutebluezone

YEH SAME.

:hehe:

13. The Infamous Mr D

Update time!

Finally, I have all the tools I need to get this underway. Let's start by excising the plastic inner of the main door:

[​IMG]

And the effect is certainly impressive:

[​IMG]

Plus, a little rotary fun and the case is now dismembered nicely on the lounge floor:

[​IMG]

I've also adopted another stray, who is rather cute-looking yet sorely neglected:

[​IMG]

From the innards I pulled out, the only good thing was the case :)

More to follow...

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

@Quote: I've also adopted another stray, who is rather cute-looking yet sorely neglected:

This way leads to the dark side !!! Many of us have been taken in by "Look another case - What if...?"
    Soon you will have a secret stash and cases and motherboard trays, and HDDs, and PSU, ... Wait, that's my closet - never mind.

Mod on - we will watch

John

15. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Interesting :)

16. n0cturnull

n0cturnull Desperate to MOD!! =P

Keep on stashing, and soon you will say, ''OMG where did i get all o' this?'' :eeek:

then, ''I'ma MOD this all and keep it again in my collection!!'' that's for sure. :D

nice update dude. I'ma watching this to finish. :thumb:

17. The Infamous Mr D

Update time. I know it's been a while... :)

I've stripped the rivets off the case and it's now in pieces for easier cutting/spraying. I've turned my attention to the front fascia, seeing as it's the most noticible part of the mod.

I've filled in the areas I wanted to resculpt and also some of the knocks and scuffs and sanded it back into shape (albeit getting covered in lots of dust).

[​IMG]

I've also recut the air intakes to match them to the new contours.

[​IMG]

I've just refilled the last few holes and imperfections; hopefully I'll be ready to start priming tomorrow :)

18. The Infamous Mr D

Update time. Sanded out all the lumps and bumps and tested the surface with some primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks pretty fine... except for a few small bubbles which have left holes in the sanded surface... Bah! Will take the filler to them again tomorrow evening...

19. The Infamous Mr D

Okay, finally got rid of the nasty bubbles and got around to spraying the first coat of primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

looking good so far. already a huge improvement over the original look. i used to have that same model of vaio. it was a really tiny case, and i found it difficult to work with.

Tags: