1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:UNMPC...a huuuge dual Stacker mod Apr10 Lazarus lives again.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Lazarus Dark, 11 May 2006.

1. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

whoa, chill rdxgt2. I'm workin on it! But I do have a job to go to in between modding (gotta pay for all this somehow). Besides, I won't be near a finished project for at least a year. This worklog is Phase One out of three. Phase One is the case, hopefully to be completed by October 31 in time for the Cooler Master Mod Competition. Phase Two will be components, lighting and watercooling. Phase Three will be external parts: case stand, 37" monitor and keyboard/19"touchscreen "command center".

But for your enjoyment:
    [​IMG]
    The local CompUSA is going out of buisiness and selling everything off at big discount (which ends up making it only slightly more expensive than getting it from newegg. no wonder they're going out of buisiness, so overpriced). So I picked up this sexy bit of kit along with a few other things and I'll go back in two weeks to see if they reduce hdd prices more. :eyebrow: Yes, I just called a UPS backup sexy. You are thinking UPS's are not sexy, they go behind the desk so you don't have to look at the ugly thing with cords snaking everywhere. Well, maybe a UPS can be sexy, if you put in the right place:

[​IMG]
    "WTFISTHAT! UR teh Insane! UPS inside yur Case?!?!?!"
    Yes, I am crazy. Though the psu's will be mounted in the stock lower position, their power cable will be moved to come out through the interior of the case and to the ups and shortened to the necessary length. In addition, I will leave the 15"monitor intact and route its power cable through the case to the ups. The same will go for watercooling pumps and whatever else. This will greatly eliminate cable clutter coming out of the rear of the case.

[​IMG]
    On the bottom left you see Ive made a couple more peices to cover the rear. And on the bottom right, I am going to cover the "UPS cage" with acrylic which I will paint and it should look pretty slick. I will also put a 140mm fan at the rear to blow out the heat from the UPS. BTW, the UPS fits exactly, not even a micron of space; I got the measurements a couple months ago from newegg and chose it because of the shape and it was the highest va backup for its size by APC (the only ups maker imo).

This case is getting rediculously heavy and I hardly have anything in it! I'm readjusting my esimate of 100 pounds complete to 150 pounds. (don't know metric)

"UPS cage" and all similar items are patent pending. :thumb:

2. hujambo_Bwana

hujambo_Bwana What's a Dremel?

Nothing wrong with puting a UPS in your case, it's not as if your short of room.

Jimbo

3. rbxgt2

rbxgt2 What's a Dremel?

sorry bout that.. [ot] my store shipped a bunch of crap to the (a while back) compusa city of industry store in los angeles. if i were you i go back and get them hdd's before they go. the company has closed stores in the past cause they didnt make enough by end of business day...[/ot]
    anyway back to topic....from looking at the ups box -> the ups outside the box i though you were gonna strip the internals out of the ups and mount the guts it in the case somewhere. are you? would looks cool :D

4. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

umm... ok, I'm not that crazy. That would totally void the warranty, and this is arguably the most important piece of equipment and reliabily is crucial (I'm not sure if you were joking or not). But I will work on something, the ups cage should look cool when finished and I'm thinking about putting the project name on the ups visible from the rear. But hey its black and I like how it looks back there.

BTW I was ego-googling earlier and I'm now number one for "unmpc" (bout time) and... number two for "stacker mod"; just behind the awesome i-spider by ferry!
    Yay for me!

5. phelan1777

phelan1777 What's a Dremel?

This thing is a MONSTER! :jawdrop:

Twisted idea. :rock:

6. Deimosje

Deimosje What's a Dremel?

No lanparty's for this pc ^^

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Oh, I don't know... LD could add a forklift to the mod? :D

8. phelan1777

phelan1777 What's a Dremel?

He could LAN, just everyone else would have to come to his place, and with all that potential hardware room, he could run two servers , have dual monitors and probaly play in both games at the same time.

9. jakeiswicked

jakeiswicked What's a Dremel?

Nice mod, ive read all the way through and thats alot of effort to work with such huge things. Cant wait to see the completed case.. i mean it already looks 100% Kickass :thumb:

10. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

Youve got some awesome ideas, kutgw :D
    cheers

11. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Dude! Just realized i'm in this weeks Project Logs Update!
    http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2006/09/25/Project_Logs_update_5/1.html
    Suweeeet!

[ego alert]And they saved the best for the last page![/end ego alert]
    My life is complete. I can die happy now.

...Well, I'll finish the case first at least. :dremel:

IanW... forklift you say?... hmmm....

:D

Thanks for all the support guys!
    And thank you, Bit-Tech!!

Yesterday, I went with my girlfriend to her art college to the metal arts department to "borrow" one of their machines. I wasn't happy with how the steel plates making up the rear were fitting due to my crappy dremel skills, so I tossed them and made new pieces. At my gf's school they have a machine (don't know what its called) that you insert sheet steel and push a lever down and it slices it like butter. Now the pieces look perfect and I'll be putting them on later today. I should have a few pics tomorrow.

12. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

would it be a machine like this by any chance:
    [​IMG]

if it is then its a guillotine :)

sweet mod too :)

Last edited: 28 Sep 2006
  13. Bachy

Bachy What's a Dremel?

Nice project, I like ambitious ones like this! - you can borrow my forklift truck when its finished!

14. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

that guillotine used to belong to my dad...its waaayy old, prolly belonged to his dad before him too!

damm usefull tool to have around

15. ogewa

ogewa What's a Dremel?

woot that thing is huge nice work, that thing has to way a ton thats gona be a nightmare to shift if you move house , im just glad mine is smaller than that one :)

16. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

[​IMG]
    This is the sheetmetal cutter I used at my gf's school. Its quite nice. I'll definately use it again if I need to. It beats a dremel with a big stick. More tomorrow.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2006
  17. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Here you can see the difference between my crappy dremeling and the sheetmetal cutter.

[​IMG]
    Oh, yeah. Lookin' good!

[​IMG]
    I decided to try some fancy dremeling and it actually turned out not bad.

Whats left to do:
    Side panels
    top piece
    front
    lots of filing and sanding
    odds and ends

Its coming along nicely, don't you think? :)

18. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

direwolf, the warranty is 2yrs. The specs say battery life cycle is three to five years. The equipment protection policy is lifetime. The spec says 19 minutes battery power. I don't have a full system to test this, but to make sure it works, I hooked it up to my laptop and installed the software and plugged in the usb cable. I set the software to shutdown the laptop when the UPS battery is at five minutes and unplugged the UPS from the wall. The UPS powered my laptop (while using cpu burn in) for an hour before shutting it down. Then I plugged up the UPS again and it recharged in like an hour. I think it should be sufficient to power a monitor and system for fifteen minutes.

19. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i get about 10 minutes out of the same ups with a mac pro and a 30" cinema display...

you're more likely to get 10-15... more than 15 i'd be surprised...

nice work so far... but damn man... huge

20. Krases

Krases What's a Dremel?

man, this will be huge
    did you already say what it was going to be used for?