1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project W2 - Dual Chamber, Rigid Tubing, Simple and Clean

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Glent, 19 May 2015.

1. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Introduction

Hey, it's been a while since I posted a build. Today I'm sharing a build I've assembled for my son. The emphasis is on looks rather than power, it's a mid range type of system for some light gaming. Perhaps in the future it'll be upgraded. Anyhow, if you’re familiar with any of my work, you'll know I’m a fan of dual chamber cases. I've bolted some together and created a few scratch builds in the past.

Like most of my past builds this one came about, during a random conversation with my son. He took pen to paper and provided me a rough image of what he would like. I'll be honest I was not keen with his preferred Color choices of red, white and black. I've used them myself in the past it's very difficult to balance them correctly.

The case I used was the Cooltek W2, not a common case and depending on your region, I believe it's also distributed as "Jonsbo W2". The core of this build was to reuse, recycle and essentially make use of parts I had to hand. I actually had everything minus the CPU. As far as his mum is concerned, that's all I bought since hahaha :D

Current progress shot
    [​IMG]

• Case: Cooltek W2 (AKA Jonsbo W2)
    • Motherboard: MSI Z87 GD-65 Gaming
    • CPU: Intel 20th Anniversary G3258
    • GPU: MSI R9 270X
    • RAM: 2x 4GB Mushkin Blackline (Temp addition)
    • SSD: Kingston HyperX Savage SSD 240GB
    • HDD: TBC
    • PSU: Generic 500W/Fully Modular

• Radiators: 240mm Slim (From Raijintek Triton)
    • Fans: 3 x NoiseBlocker 120mm
    • Pump: XSPC D5 with EKWB Plexi Pump top
    • Reservoir: Raijintek Triton
    • Fittings: Primochill Rigid Ghost
    • Tubing: Primochill Rigid PETG tubing clear
    • CPU Block: Raijintek Triton
    • GPU Block: Alphacool GPX 270 MSI 270X
    • Lighting: Deepcool 2x RGB
    • Other: E22 FG01 Fan grilles 1x120, 1x 240mm
    • Cables: E22/Telios Self Sleeved

The first thing to do was make a cut, in the left side panel and mock up the parts, and then explore the watercooling loop route
    [​IMG]

In keeping with the theme to reuse and recycle any parts I had here, was the idea to tweak the Raijintek Triton, which is an AIO system that can be expanded. However what I wasn’t aware of, was the sealed fittings on both the radiator and the main block, they’ve used some sort of sealant and the only option was to apply some heat. They came out easy enough and with no issue on the radiator side, however the plexi block did not fair well and the threads where destroyed. I don’t have another to try again but I suspect with more care and less heat, it would be possible to remove them without any major damage to the threads.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The following images, are made up with placeholder parts, fittings, cabling and such. The theming does not take place until the later stages

After re-tapping the threads into the main block, I began to plot tubing route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The IN and OUT on the Raijintek block lined up mm perfect will the GPU block below, but I must confess the tubing route caused me some concerns, and was a case of trial and error.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All was well for the first few fills and drains. To actually fill and drain the loop, I only used the main port on the block. I didn’t want to run a drain line or add any extra clutter inside. On the third run, the pump gave up and died.

I had some other parts to hand, pump, res, water block and such but I’d really become fond of the Raijintek block/res combo and opted to leave it as part of the build. A pump was now needed and rather than make use of the rear chamber, and add extra clutter I fitted it into the floor and adjusted the loop. Not an ideal workaround, but it works…

This will be my 5th time using rigid tubing and I have to say it doesn’t get much easier when working with double bends and tricky corners!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really tried to push a black and white only theme to my son, but he was keen to keep some red in their and later on, I think you'll agree he made the right call.
    [​IMG]

I must have remade the tube from the GPU to rad about 10 times, but the double bend was a real challange

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I’ve had the Alphacool GPX block for a little while now, and appreciate for some people it’s just not to their taste. Personally I like it but somewhere down the line it might have a visual tweak, on that note if you ever have an rounded head (on any product) then grabs the wife’s nail glue, it works great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the loop finalized, I set about replacing some of the more tired pieces such as the fittings as well as purchasing some sleeving, tools and grilles.

[​IMG]

http://techicize.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/20150515_134701.jpg/[IMG]

[IMG]http://techicize.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/20150515_134701.jpg

[​IMG]

As mentioned earlier balancing colours is tough, I felt like a bold red MSI on the case front would help to keep things in check.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Over the last few days I’ve been working on the sleeving and adding the lighting into the case. I’d say I’m nearly done pending a few possible changes here and there.

I’ve got to do some work on the backside of the case as we’re adding a window on that side too. The cables combs are a fantastic addition, but the cables still need some adjusting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Random Kingston Rex Photo :)
    [​IMG]
    Incidentally I'd like to add some white or red, Kingston HyperX Savage ram but I don't have the funds just now.
    Final photos to follow

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks great.
    Is it OK to be confused about the coolant route?:worried:

3. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Looks really good, and clean.

Been wondering why no one seems to do parallel runs between cpu and gpu, but this seems to be such a run?
    Makes sence to me since there is not much room

4. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Ive just spent 10 mins trying to work it out. Looks like an AIO that's been changed to create a full loop with the res in the CPU block and a pump added... Would that be right?

Be interesting to see what the temps are like.

Other than that it's a nice tidy looking build.

5. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

That's the conclusion i came to, too

Considering other people use parallel for sli/crossfire i would think they are going to be very respectable...
    But yeah;
    MOAR UPDATES, NAUU!!!

Last edited: 20 May 2015
  6. bulldogjeff

It works well on SLI / Xfire with the same blocks because the pressure equals out. The CPU block will probably be more restrictive so I would worry about it getting adequate flow. That said, as long as the pump has a decent flow rate it should be ok.

7. Glent

Glent What's a Dremel?

Nah, I've confused my self a great deal with it too. In the planning stages I looked at it over and over and argued with myself for days.. it's basically a crossire/SLI parrell loop but with a CPU/Res combo block. Logically it shouldnt work but it does :p

This^ I thought exactly that, but something kept telling me it wouldnt work, but...it does
    Yeah man, the original plan was just to use the Raijintek Trition block, GPU block and Rad, as the pump was integrated but it died and I had to put a D5 in their. I've not had much time to test actual temps, we just applied a 4.6Ghz oc and it's never passed 54, however I had the pump on it's lowest setting and the fans likewise

As above ;)

This is it, worst case scenerio and I dump the block and rejig things around but for now it seems Ok.

Well I had planned to do a bunch more of small detailing work with vinyls on the exterior. Some subtle MSI circuit board and even some etching on the window but my son just wants to play so maybe I'll pick those ideas up in the future. But for now that'll do, time to plan my next mod...as Im itching to do another :D

Few more images. The back side of the case isn't what I had in mind but it's not to bad and carries the colours of the theme well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading

8. bulldogjeff

Good to hear the temps are nice and low. It is a very tidy arrangement. Looks really nice. Something I think i might try on one of my future builds.

9. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

Nice oc and temp
    Considering it's *only* a 240mm rad for cpu AND gpu
    Looking forward to see more temps - especially cpu + gpu under load