1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project XOSKEL [D-Frame Mini Build]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Alec**, 6 Jul 2015.

1. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Great work. Clean hardline runs and great job on the mobo paint job.

2. Alec**

Alec** What's a Dremel?

Thanks Marquee!

So here's a little teaser then, just to prove the colour match!

[​IMG]

Will get a full set uploaded in the next few days :)

3. Alec**

Alec** What's a Dremel?

It's only taken 12 weeks, but I'm happy to say the build is complete! Time for some final shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credit to MikeMK for the pictures!

I think it's fair to say I'm really happy with the way this build has turned out. I've always been optimistic that the D-Frame Mini would provide the foundations to a really special looking build, and it most certainly has. It's taken a lot longer than expected having only been working on it 4 or 5 evenings a week but it's definitely been worth it.

Even though the case is only designed for a Mini-ITX Motherboard and 240mm rad, it looks so right with the larger components in. The hardline watercooling loop I think really looks right in this case, it would have been criminal to use flexitube here! My favourite part though has to be the colour. I've never seen a turquoise watercooled build, and it definitely makes this rather unique.

I'm reserving my opinion on the hardline fittings until it's been running for a few weeks, I'll keep you posted with any issues / praise. I'll also keep the log updated with progress on the overclock etc.

The D-Frame Mini has been great fun to work with. The bare-bones / roll cage feel contributes not only an incredible look, but also fantastic functionality when in the building / modding process! Thanks again to In Win for providing it.

I've had the PC running for a couple of days now, and I have to say I'm genuinely impressed by the Be Quiet! fans and PSU. Considering I've got 3 120mm fans on max, as well as the PSU, none of which are enclosed in any way it's phenomenally quiet. Temps are all looking good too (will provide a little more detail in a couple of weeks once I've done a bit of overclocking). Thanks again to Be Quiet! for supporting this build.

Thanks to MikeMK for the ongoing support with the project, and thanks to everyone who's commented on this thread! The positive comments are much appreciated, and any criticisms are always well taken on board. Would love to hear what you think of the end result!

4. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Looks awesome. How are you finding the 5820k? I'm also curious as to the performance of the Asrock board on the X99 platform. I've recently emigrated and computer parts are very expensive here. The difference between Asrock and Asus prices is almost a third.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

She came out lovely.:D Seeing your ports convinced me again: If I had one of these to mod, the handle would be the first thing to go. -I mean, the whole frame is a handle. :lol:

6. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Yup,I would of done the same to mine.

Still would of been yelolololololololol tho.... :lol:

7. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Lovely color schema !!

Great job with the mobo :thumb:

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm really really not a fan of the current hard tubing craze, but this has to be one of the first mods I've seen when I think it works well and looks fab :thumb:

9. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Thats just hurtful......

10. Alec**

Alec** What's a Dremel?

Thanks! The 5820k is looking good so far! I've got a stable 4.2GHz OC on it atm, hoping to find some time in the next week or two to push some more though, confident I can find another few hundred MHz. Not had any issues with the Asrock board either, for a third of the price I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Hehee thanks Cheapskate! It almost did when I realised the mATX mod meant I couldn't plug the Displayport or HDMI into the Graphics Card! Ended up modding the cable instead of the case this time though ;)

Cheers mate, much appreciated!

Hahaa thanks Manks! Hardline was definitely a grower on me, definitely a mod for looks over functionality though - required a fair bit of work!