1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics ps/2 mouse and lightbulb?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jaegar, 15 Feb 2008.

1. Jaegar

Jaegar I know what a Dremel is, duh.

Is there any way I can safely rewire the connections on a ps/2 mouse to power a small lightbulb? I understand that the pink line going into the little board is the 5v line, and the white is the ground, but will it fry a computer if I screw it up? It is for a LAN tournament prize. I will post pics of what I want to do when I get home.
    Thanks for the help.

2. const_

const_ What's a Dremel?

lightbulb i dont think so, since it will draw much current from the ps/2 port.

the maximum current that you can draw of ps/2 port is 100 mA thats enough for about 5 - 6 LEDs
    best thing is to steel power from one of any free molex

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Use a multimeter to find out which wire is the positive and go from there, LEDs take ~20mA so I would only use 1 or 2 to be safe.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

You could in theory run a 0,5W 5V bulb from it. however, I'm not sure it's a good idea. The power requirements of light bulbs aren't always completely stable.

As others have said, go for LEDs. They are a bit safer and will give you more light for the same amount of power.