1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayStation 4 PS5 Live Event @ 9pm

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by suenstar, 11 Jun 2020.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup, reckon that's how it is done, I was surprised its two models, the design looks such that you could have designed a snap on drive and cover.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Just like the unreasonably small storage capacity on the basic models...

3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

? its got 860Gb, some peoples PCs don't have that :D, that 860Gb is also likely to stretch farther than 1Tb on PS4 due to not having to duplicate chunks of data to compensate for slow HDDs and its upgradeable, the cheapest equivalent disc for PC would set you back £200 at the moment.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

PS4 games already frequently demand 50 - 100GB, there is nothing hinting at PS5 games not getting even bigger...
    I predict serious buyers remorse for those who get the bssic 1TB PS5 rather than the 2TB one.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Agree, my sons 1TB PS4 is already low on space, he has to uninstall something to install anything new. Apparently the last COD "update patch" was circa 80GB ffs.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Everything suggests they will be smaller for reasons mentioned plus some others like new custom hardware decompression, all sounds good.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7134...ep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech/index.html
    https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-ssd-could-cut-game-sizes-to-save-valuable-space-on-your-console/

Also sounds like there will only be one size, anymore is down to you.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2020
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

First of all that ignores the space taken up by backwards compatibility (installing PS5 games in addition to PS4 games rather than instead).

Second, look how deceptive the example in one of those articles is: Cutting 10GB off the size of a PS4 game, which means nothing if new games start at a bigger size...
    If a 50GB game grows to 100GB due to prettier textures and so on it'll still be bigger than 50GB even if you save 25GB.

Third, if multiplatform titles will bother trying to take advantage of it is doubtful (remember the supposedly super fancy cpu in the ps3 that in reality provided zero benefit over the humdrum cpu in the xbox of the time).

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I just have a 500Gb SSD in my PS4. Plenty for me, keep a few games on then delete ones i'm not playing while leaving savegames untouched.

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The SSD is going to be a normal NVME drive in a normal mount, so it will be user upgradeable just like the PS3 and 4 hdds have been. Although Sony apparently demand a minimum read speed of 5.5GB/s, we'll see how true that is once the real things are out in the wild. If it's true that's going to be one expensive upgrade, hopefully it will support external drives like the Xbox will.

It's still more elegant that the Xbox-X with it's soldered in SSD plus a plug in NVME on the back, which is the ony hardware decision on the Series X that had me scratching my head,

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It still supports external drives but not for running ps5 game off, it will run back compat from there though and you can archive titles to it to make space. So you can still have an old big spinner if you like.

Ps5 games require a pcie gen4 m2 drive and only pre-qualified ones.

Tags: