1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU Buzzing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DD_nVidia, 10 Jun 2012.

1. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

Hey there,

I've noticed that since I moved into the house I'm currently in, my power supply in my computer tends to "buzz" quite a bit. It's not so noticeable in my i7 system, since it has 10 fans in it, the i3 however with only 3 low speed fans, the buzzing is sometimes louder than the fans are.

Power supply in the i3 is a Corsair CX 600w v2, and it's running an i3, SSD, 2 hard drives and a GTX460 - so nothing stressing it at all.

It's not a fan noise, it's an electrical hum sort of noise.

I lived in halls last year while at uni and the power I'm assuming was filtered some how for the entire building, lights never flickered power never went out etc. but this house is in the middle of the city so dunno if that could have anything to do with it?

Not sure how to solve it either. Can't really afford a UPS unit. Is there any sort of extension plug that would filter the power? Maybe be a bit cheaper than a UPS?

2. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Something like this?

3. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Use a surge protector extention lead

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Buzzing transformers can be a sign of low voltage. I would suggest as well as getting a surge protected trail lead that you get hold of a mains voltage reader and check that you're getting between 230 and 240. We had a problem like that in our old house when the welder was struck in the garage. It burned out motors in some of our household appliances and blew DC transformers in everything from set top boxes to Hi-Fi's.

Also, this is more of a tech support question :)

Last edited: 11 Jun 2012
  5. DD_nVidia

DD_nVidia Minimodder

I'll see if I can get hold of a voltage reader.

On the back of my large computer, the PSU has a LED in the power switch and the buzzing seems to connect to it flickering ...

I'll see if my landlord has any that kicking about since he's usually around (loads of student houses so he's about loads)

6. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

Are you sure it's the PSU? There is not very well known issue with most graphics cards these days which makes them buzz sometimes. I think it is when the frame rate is extremely high. It only really happens in the main menu of games, when the graphics card is 'activated' (unlike in Windows when it's just doing 2d stuff), but there isn't much happening so the card is basically running at 200fps or something. You get a kind of faint hissing electrical buzzing type sound, but it will go as soon as the game loads properly or you do something else.

Could it be that? When does the buzzing happen, all the time? Even in windows? If so, is it only when you are looking at certain web pages?

7. buzzing PSU

buzzing PSU What's a Dremel?

even more...

hi there,

have you found solution after all???
    the same buzzing troubles me......
    but mine goes off , specially when playing "heavy" games....

thanks for any suggestions...