1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases PSU fan and dust filter problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Edsterr, 16 May 2012.

1. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

I am going to be getting the fractal design define r3 case for my new build, which I very much like the look of btw. Although, I have got a slight problem. In the description for the case it says that there is a dust filter for your psu, "assuming it has a 120mm fan". The psu I was intending to get however, has a 140mm fan.

Therefore, I want to know if this will make any difference. Will it make an impact on the effectiveness of the psu's fan? Would it be better just to get a different power supply but with a 120mm fan?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What PSU you getting? The dust filter is outside of the case anyway.

Can't see it having much of an impact unless it's an extended PSU form factor.

3. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

normally its a removable tray with a screen filter slide out so as Blogins said should not make a lot of difference if its 120 or 140

edit..

* Supports PSU's with a depth of maximum circa 170mm, when using bottom 120/140mm fan location. When not using the bottom 120/140mm fan location, the case supports also longer PSU's, typically 200-220mm.

comes from fractal site so would say it don't matter as they look like they covered it what ever the size its bigger than 120mm as u can see from 120 mounting spaces / holes

[​IMG]

4. Edsterr

Edsterr What's a Dremel?

So what you are saying is that it would be best to remove the dust filter? Or just leave it in as it won't make much difference?

As for the psu, I was planning on getting the Corsair TX650M

@Big_malc that quote about the 120/140mm fan is referring to a case fan as opposed to psu's fan.

5. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

I think it means that it works for PSUs with a 120/140mm fan on the larger face (top or bottom) of the PSU as opposed to the ones with the smaller fans and ventilation on the front and back of the psu so the airflow is straight through. Like some Antec PSUs.

EDIT:
    It means PSUs like this won't use the dust filter:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 May 2012