1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics PSU Fan Voltages

Discussion in 'Modding' started by G-gnome, 30 Jun 2003.

1. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hey All:baby:

Lurking awhile now and learning a lot - time to ask something, heh:

I have an Antec Trupower 550W PSU and was wondering if anyone knows how the fans inside adjust their speed automatically?

Would I be right in assuming that there is some sort of Temperature sensor inside and the speed is adjusted by varying the supply voltage to the fans? The fans have '12v' on them so I presume that max speed is 12v and slow speeds are lesser voltages?

I am wanting to mod my PSU (looks at bits of PSU all over table) err... am modding my PSU and want to utilise my internal PSU fan power wires as I have re-routed the fans to a seperate controller:D

I'll be posting my project on the forums soon when I have done a bit more.

Any help appreciated muchly:naughty:

Cheers!

2. MagicMikey

MagicMikey What's a Dremel?

It's temperature sensored as to what is really needed to cool the PSU to lower the noise level. I believe the "Fan Only" cable runs off the same sensor. I re-wired my PSU fans to run off a 12v line to get maximum performance but I'm not sure what you're trying to do...

3. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hey MagicMikey,

I was wanting to use the fan power outputs to run LEDs that either were dim when the PSU was cool (i.e. low Voltage) or bright when it is hot (i.e. 12v) or (most likely) wire a bi-color LED to the fan wires - the sort that changes color at 7v or so like in the Sunbeam Rheobus kit so when it is Red my PSU is cool and Blue when it heats up.

This would give me a visual indicator of my approx PSU Temps and prompt me to crank up my fans from the front if needs be. I am building a watercooling rig and am on a quest for ultimate quiet :)
    ... oh and lots of purty lights:eeek:

4. Clockworks999

Clockworks999 What's a Dremel?

Since the fans already adjust their speed depending on temperature, why would you want to disable this feature, and instead have to look at some lights, then switch the fans on manually?
    If you just want lots of lights, howabout using a bargraph voltmeter type circuit connected to the fans?
    If you are after quiet, get a DigitalDoc 5, and control all the fans thermostatically.

Cheers

5. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Hi Clockworks,

Thanks for your reply. I like your suggestions (especially for the voltmeter, I will look into that).

Why do I want to do this? erm...because I can!

No, seriously, I just saw the two spare variable-voltage fan connections (as I have now wired my PSU fans to my front panel) and wanted to make use of them somehow (with a lighting effect to tell me how my PSU was 'feeling':) ). Whether or not I change my fan speeds in response isn't important, I simply want the option of being able to do so. Your bargraph voltmeter suggestion sounds like the trick!

Cheers