1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU for Mini-ITX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by El Rando, 27 Feb 2009.

1. El Rando

El Rando I know what a dremel is

Hey guys, I have been watching this website since December 08 and was just blown away at all the case mods and crazy watercooling that's been going on here.

So I decided to come up with an idea for my own case mod but it had to be something I could actually make and based on something I personally love.
    Got my designs and everything done and PC parts received but there's something I really need help with. The case I am making will not manage to hold a normal sized PSU so I am looking for the smallest possible PSU that can run the following with no problem:

Zotac nForce 630i-ITX WiFi equipped with a core 2 duo
    4 x 92mm zalman fans
    1 sata HDD
    1 slimline slot-load DVD-RW
    zalman fan controller (6 fans)
    2gb RAM

I recently bought one of the pico-psu's (120W) but something in my head is telling me that it wouldn't work.
    If the type of core 2 duo is gonna affect the psu it would be great if you could point me in the direction of one that would do.

Planning to use this PC as more of a home one not really for gaming. Maybe the odd game here or there.

The size of case and look of it will all be revealed in a project log so don't worry about that just aslong as you can recommend the smallest possible PSU that can run all of the above.

Thanks for your time, I'll most likely be more active from here on.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We use a 280W Enermax mATX one in the lab for our mini-ITX stuff. It's pretty damn tiny, but way bigger than the 120W pico one.

Check around for mATX ones - they are out there - but be wary of no-name OEM ones.

3. Golden-1

Golden-1 Minimodder

Zotac nForce 630i-ITX WiFi equipped with a core 2 duo
    4 x 92mm zalman fans :
    1 sata HDD :.
    1 slimline slot-load DVD-RW : 8 watts
    zalman fan controller (6 fans) if it's PWM, then power usage goes down. if it's a reobus, assume that the fans are running at 12v.
    2gb RAM : check the manufacturers website, but, rule of thumb, 10-20w per stick. if it gets HOT, it uses more power.

CPU/Mobo: : rated at 65W, +20 or so for mobo.
    Fans: Assuming 12v, and 0.25A each, that's 3x4 = 12
    hdd: 13w for 7.2k, 24 for a 10k, and 30 for a 15k rpm (i'm assuming it's 13)
    RAM: 10Watts per stick if it's a "cool running" stick. 20 if it gets warm to the touch, and 30 if after a while you can cook an egg on it. (i'm assuming 2x10w)

Add 10% for "fudge" factor (ie, startup surges, and the Caps/Mosfets getting old after a year)

That's 130 watts total, or 143 with added fudge factor.

so yes. that 120wPicoAxt psu WILL power your motherboard. just not for very long.

The first sign of an undervolted CPU is that it runs HOT, then starts memfaulting all over the show.

you need a 150w?
    a little more google-fu gives the following:
    Silverstone Fanless. ST30NF, Nightjar
    a Generic looking 180w PSU

there ARE a few DC-DC 150w psu's but otherwise ..

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I have to go with Bindi on this one. The PicoPSUs are fine for carputers and fanless or a single fan. The core2 is the key to needing a bigger PSU. Try to find a 1U server PSU or a small one like Bindi says.
    Maybe a PSU from a Shuttle but you would have to figure out their non-standard wires.

john

5. El Rando

El Rando I know what a dremel is

Weel cheers for your great suggestions and fast replys. Now I have a good enough idea what to look for so i'll order a mATX one. Might have to increase the size of the case slightly but thats no problem.
    Thanks again guys. You'll probably hear from me soon about the build.