1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

psu hate?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bruno_me, 4 Aug 2005.

1. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

well, as of late (last 3ish months), I've been having problems with stability regarding my video (fx5200 agp (dur)). basically what happens is..

in windows:
    • hard lock whenever I do anything with 3d accelleration after ~5min.
    • sometimes, it renders the first few frames of a game, so if it fades in from black, I can see things dimly
    • in 3d rendering, etc. apps, it usually works for ~5min, then hard locks, sometimes with artifacts
    • overlay/2d works perfectly, except when I have 2 overlay windows going on seperate monitors
    • ctrl + alt + del does nothing
    in linux:
    • hard locks with 3d or overlay, non-accellerated 2d is fine though
    • time until lock varies greatly, I've had enough time to watch a whole movie without a lock, apparently it depends on what I'm doing, mouse movement, etc
    • ctrl + alt + del does nothing
    also, my psu is a pos. right now, the +3.3v line is at 2.83 (according to mbm and the bios, I cba using the multimeter). everything else is acceptable though (+- 5%)

right now, I'm thinking, due to people suggesting it, that my psu is to blame, and the best course of action is to buy a new one, like this

so yeah, what do you guys think? I've never had a problem with my video/mobo yet, and the problems started when the voltage dropped to 2.8ish from 3.2ish.

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

What PSU you got atm?
    You could do the get a meter to measure the lines properly

3. TMM

TMM Modder

I'd check the PSU with a multimeter and replace it if the line really is that bad. Also check your graphics card and motherboard for any bulging/leaky capacitors.

4. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

3.3 @ 3.17ish, then when I do something with graphics, it dips to 3.07ish. 12 is at 11.8, 5 is at 5.03

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well maybe you could do with a new PSU, but those lines are reasonable enough. Have you tried a different graphics card? Maybe that's the source of torture.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

the lines shoukd be within 5% of the voltage.

and if you have 3.07 volts on the 3,3V line you have a problem...

3.3v x 5 = 0,165v

3.3v- 0.165v =3.135v= the lowest voltage you should ever have on the 3.3V line.

I would suggest a new PSU. Atleast try with a different one.

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

The lines should be wihin +-5%, but since your mobo is the only thing that uses the 3,3V line, it shoudn't be the source of the lockups...

Since you get artifacts, I'd think it's a problem with the GFX card itself... Guess heat is the problem, because you only get it when you do graphical intens apps, wich require the card to work hard

Just my $.02

I suggest go to a clientfriendly PC shop... They can check what's wrong without you having to buy an expensive new PSU and/or GFX

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

GFX cards DO use 3,3V (atleast they have one (several?) 3.3v lines going to them) (what did you think all those pins in the PCI and AGP sockets are used for?)

Besides, if it's a crappy PSU the loads on the other lines can affect the 3.3v (and other) lines. Todays GFX cards draw enough power to make a PSU on the edge to behave naughty ;)

9. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

don't have another :(

that's about what I'm getting

nope, I reapplied thermal stuff just over a month ago

I'm working on borrowing a psu/gfx. will report back with results

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I would suggest buying/borrowing/stealing another. I've had PSU's that were 20% out of their rails and still the PC worked fine - it's too consistent a problem to really be a PSU problem imho.

11. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

well, my psu is consistantly problematic ;)

I am working on borrowing another psu/gfx, but my friend who will probably let me is out of town right now, so I can't test it very soon :/