1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSU sleeving help requested

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kelvinb, 2 May 2012.

1. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Hi all,

After many months of viewing this forum I have decided to start my own project.

First on the list is to do some PSU sleeving and my question to the more experienced people is :-

The PSU I am sleeving is a modular OCZ 700w PSU. Whilst disconnecting the cables and reattaching the sleeved cables back into the connector I noticed that some of these cables seem to in the connector.

For example I am sleeving the 4 pin cable that supplies the power to the GPU and the bottom right cable at one end connects to the bottom right slot in the connector although the cable seems to go into the middle slot of the connector at the other end rather than in the same spot i.e. bottom right to top middle instead of bottom right to bottom right.

My question is is this correct or can I connect them directly i.e. bottom right to bottom right without blowing anything up ?

Many thanks if you can answer this for me

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

It would behelpful to get the connector pinouts from OCZ. But what I do is map where each pin goes on each connector before I disassemble it.

Using the GPU connector as an example a 6 pin connector will have 3 x 12v wires (normally yellow) and 3 x ground wires (normally black). As long as you connect ground to ground and 12v to 12v you'll be fine. Be careful if you work on a PCIE 8 pin connector as that has 3 x 12v wires and 5 x ground wires. Connecting them the wrong way could result in component damage.

It seems that some manufacturers 'twist' the cables when assembling which I'm guessing is helpful when you use a single sleeve to cover all the wires.

I'd recommend that you match the pinouts on the 24 pin connector to the correct pin though. You might find that the 24 pin cable has dual wires on some connectors, some are used to reduce impedance and I've been told that some of the dual wires include a sensor wire although I don't know that for sure.

Last edited: 2 May 2012
  3. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

Many thanks for your reply,

With the 24 pin connector many thanks for that, the GPU connector is a 3 pin with 3 black and 3 yellow but it seems that one of the yellow starts from the bottom right but them connects into the middle. Can I uncross these so it starts and ends in the bottom right or will this cause damage

The 2nd GPU connector is the 4+2 type

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Yes, you can uncross them. As I mentioned before as long at ground goes to ground and 12V to 12V you're fine. Be careful with the 6+2 VGA connector as the separate 2 pin connector are both ground.

If you do have dual wires I'd suggest splicing rather than trying to sleeve them together as you end up with a neater finish.

Guidance for splicing

Guidance for sleeving with MDPC-X

Heat shrink free sleeving with paracord