1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Puddidium235 - Feb 2023 Complete +Final pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 13 Nov 2019.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

What if your bottle says, "Use before 4/09" ?

2. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

2009 or 3009? they didn't say did they

3. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Use it anyway!

When I make bodges I hate myself, when you make bodges it's a goddamn art form.

Cheapskate likes this.
  4. Cheapskate

That could almost be my signature. :lol:

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Looking at stuff like this and watching Rob dahm lately has really got me hankering for a proper mill. Maybe if I make a small one with my shitty Dremel contraption, then that one could make a bigger one, and then that one could make an even bigger one....

6. Cheapskate

Ah, I should update...
    [​IMG]
    -The first tweak I noticed I needed was that I left myself TOO much clearance. It helped that the ballscrews were shipped backwards to what I designed. This is down as far down as it goes, and I still have 1 1/2" to go to the frame.
    I was more worried that the block I put on the end of the screw popped off with no resistance the first time I tested it. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -What a gorgeous space-eating mess. This is my first test cut after calibration.
    [​IMG]
    -Success! The first try at calibration made this 5" drawing less than a inch across. The screws were so slow, I thought I jammed something up . This is square and the right size. :thumb: -Shocking, I know.
    There is a wavy pattern in the X-direction cut I suspect is from the screws being bent. I'll see about stiffening the frame. I also have to chase down some strange sounds during fast travel.
    The pulley system is absolutely hypnotic. I'll have to add a cover for that and the side rails.
    -Anyway, I somehow managed to build a mill. It must not be as hard as I thought. :lol:

@The_Crapman - I'd start with a good drill press. Don't even try to build around a dremel, either. They are not built for stress.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2022
    Toru, Jean R built and lowfat like this.
  7. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

It's pretty damm impressive Cheaps! :jawdrop: The modding world is your oyster now when it comes to your render skills and this. And it's built like a tank from quality parts. :rock::rock: The trimmer will last for years mine gets a bashing and just keeps going :thumb:

8. Cheapskate

Thanks, man. :D I don't know about the quality parts thing, though. Using a micrometer on the rails was terrifying. I had to use the number I thought they were aiming for.
    I'm a little disappointed that I can't listen to the stereo while cutting with this one. Everything about this rig is louder.

9. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Would turning the stereo up not solve that one?

10. Cheapskate

Computer speakers + youtube. I tried. They only get so loud before they start sounding like flatulence.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  11. Cheapskate

I'm back to trying to build the computer. Tolerances are tighter on it, though. They definitely are more visible.
    [​IMG]
    -I spent a little while adding positioning tabs to the model. If you remember, the first batch were a little wobbly. Fortunately, there was plenty of room on the blank I made, like... a year ago.
    [​IMG]
    -I somehow managed to match up the part from page one with ol' knobbly here.
    [​IMG]
    -Test drive time! I found some great material for making dust guards, coincidentally, it's free bandit-sign season! :D
    [​IMG]
    -2nd session here is cutting notches for the tabs. Session 3 took over an hour because I forgot to speed up the machine with the override function.
    [​IMG]
    -Bed leveling? Whazzat? :lol: I managed to barely touch the spoil board despite just winging it. *flex*
    [​IMG]
    -After filing some round corners, I did a quick gluing session. I'm leaving my premium material top un-fused for the time being. I expect I'll break this up and try again some day.
    [​IMG]
    -and that's 90% of the GPU area cap. There's still a bunch of squares to fill in the gap opposite of today's set of parts.
    (oof, that one crooked trapezoid front and center. :duh: )

12. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

" a year ago " is nothing in the modding world ! That's one very cool looking interlocking work of art ! I use the same trimmer ! do you have a blue print for the rig you can send my way :naughty:

13. Cheapskate

Thanks! :D
    You'd do better with someone else's design. This was drawn around what I had/could make. I should have added a double 80-20 and rail mounting plate to the x assembly, and the single motor/pulley is something you could skip. I never re-drew the parts that were off-spec, either. :lol:
    -Uses a lot of imperial screws... Yeah, you are better off with some other model.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  14. Cheapskate

I managed to tear something in my mouse-click finger, so I'm trying to take it easy until I get some feeling back.
    No, I didn't mess it up mouse-clicking.
    No, it wasn't a freak proctology exam accident either. :worried:
    -Anyway, that means you get a small, uneventful update.
    [​IMG]
    -My 2nd big panel cut. The red marks a narrow spot. Let's just say I found out that tile saw blade was really dull.
    [​IMG]
    -Back to the other machine to cut a side panel bracket. It's such a relief after wearing ear plugs for the other machine. The Taig is really solid and only now do I know how much it spoiled me. I even rest junk like lose bits on the pallet as it's cutting. I never thought they might vibrate off, because they don't.
    [​IMG]
    -There's going to be a lot of random parts with no context for a while. I need a TON of parts before I can put some of this together.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's where I'm at. This back panel is at milling operation one of ten. There's a vent pattern to be added, and it's a nightmare.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  15. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Uneventful random parts without context make for the best updates :grin: they keep us guessing ......kinda like what i'm guessing you did to your finger!

16. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D I'm still guessing on the finger too. I picked something heavy up with my fingertips and there was a scrunch. Then the whole underside of the finger turned purple. :worried: It's much better, but I'm dropping a lot of things.

17. Cheapskate

I should drop this in here...
    [​IMG]
    -Total time: 6 hours, 25 minutes. Part of the extra time was milling out the slotting with an 1/8" bit to ease the stress on the 1/16" bit that finished out the corners. -So I sort of cut them twice. You can see the bracket made earlier in it's future place. Also obvious are an I/O area and a SFF psu hole.
    There's not much space over the motherboard, is there?
    [​IMG]
    -I also made a 2nd clear side panel bracket. Methinks I should get back to the massive reservoir that is a main part of the framing. Building the side panel first will likely lead to sorrow and disaster.

18. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

It's ganna be tight as a nuns.... wallet..... in there ! but that's a sexy looking panel :rock:, Damm i need to get me on of them toys and a 3D printer and a laser cutter and a ....life :D

6 hours, 25 minutes !! :lol:

19. piXelit!

piXelit! What's a Dremel?

looks awesome, i would give my left nut for a mill like that, my case projects would step up 50 times in quality, good work there i keep going with my bloody handsaw XD

Defyant Mods likes this.
  20. One Works

One Works What's a Dremel?

Awesome work as always. Makes me feel very uncreative