1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pulling the plug

Discussion in 'General' started by Monkeyboy, 11 May 2004.

1. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

No, no, this has nothing to do with pulling the plugs on your computer, but on life support.
    On Mothers Day, my finace's mum, who had been fighting cancer and infections, flatlined twice, and after being revived has been vegetative. They made the decision to pull the plug yesterday afternoon, and she is slowly dying now.
    Out of curiosity, if you were in a vegetative state, would you want someone to let you die, or would you want them to keep you alive because of the cahnce you might come out of it?

2. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

If I was taking up a bed and/or resources that could be ued to save someone else then I'd want them to pull the plug. If not, then I guess you could hold out for the chance.

3. mushky

mushky gimme snails

not sure about the ins and outs but basically if I was lying in a hospital bed, fully conscious, but unable to move or communicate in any way, then I would definately want the plug pulled.

and if i was unconcious, then I agree with acrim

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

I'd want the plug pulling tbh, dunno why... Would hate to be one of the unfortunate few who are very able in mind, but not in body. Even if there was a chance of a cure, the bed/resources could be better spent on acually saving a life rather than hoping for a chance to live...

5. relix

relix Minimodder

Would definitely want someone to pull the plug. I'd be such a time and resource waster! Besides, if there's no chance of me comming back, there won't be any differince, would there? And even if you come back, are you the same like before, or are you just "concious" vegetative? Wouldn't want that either.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Definately pull the plug.

7. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Sorry to hear that about your finace's mum :(

If it was me i'd rather have the plug pulled, ive already told my mum this several times just incase something happens to me and i cant make the choice myself. I'd rather die than be a vegetable.

8. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

If I was in a PVS, I'd want to be kept alive long enough so that all of my organs/anything usable had new homes found for them, when you're like that the doctors have extra time to find recipients for everything, as they're not working to a time limit until you actually die.

9. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Good thinking dude, that sounds like a plan.
    I might have to discuss this with my girlfriend tonight.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sorry to hear about ur finace's mum, cant be easy :(

Uh, this is something i dont get though - surely a morphine overdose to end her life quickly rather than dragging it out slowly would be better? But no, cause that would be murder in our society. (Que: arguments)

Id like my organs whipped out and given to someone else, they might as well use em cause otherwise the worms will get too fat. Defo switched off after that, or before it - cause organs keep for a while on ice.

11. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I'd definitely want them to pull the plug. I don't much like the idea of spending the rest of my life brain dead, not able to make any choices for myself, or do anything I enjoy. Honestly, what's the point? That would really suck.

Sorry about your soon-to-be mother in law, must be hard :(

12. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Only for a few hours though in some cases, ideally I'd like to be kept alive while the recipients flock to whatever hospital I was being kept in (or transport me to somewhere big enough, if that's possible) and then do the whole thing at once, though I don't know if killing me off on the operating table by removing my heart is totally ethical :D

13. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Only 4 Hours actually....

14. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

She had cancer of a very aggresive nature, so i don't think organ donation is an option.
    Personally, i'm all for the organ donation myself, and i'm gonna start making a living will soon, so i don't end up like Terry Schiavo (that unfortunate lady in florida who has become the center of a legal and political mess). i'm also in favor of euthanasia, simply because i don't want to have to suffer needlessly. I want to go where and when i want, comfortably.

and thank you everybody for your condolences.

15. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

I'd go for vegetation or maybe cryo freezing...never know what the future holds.

16. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

I would also want to die in that situation. However, I would prefer not to pass away in a hospital bed, however, someplace nicer like the beach or so.

17. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I'm very sorry to hear your news, my best wishes to both of you at what must be an extremely tough time.

In answer to your question:
    I'd like the option of being put to sleep if I ever end up in a irreversibly vegetative/paralysed state, I would like to be able to leave this life with a little of dignity.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

hmm.. bugger

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Pull the plug. I'd hate to be one of those people who weigh down other people by hanging on for dear life. Let me go.

20. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

i check my email and realize that you're probably drunk, as most of my notification emails tell me you've replied to a subscribed thread, and your posts are either missing or retarded...

still, some threads simply aren't there for you to tell us "OMGs i r so Drunk!!!1 look at MEEEEEEEEE!!!" (actually i doubt any of them are). This is not a thread for your bull**** spamlicious replies.

bugger off until you sober up. provided you get let beack in by the admins...