1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting a lens into water!

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Pygo, 31 Aug 2006.

1. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I've been curious about putting my kit lens under water.

I was thinking I could simply put suran (sp?) wrap around the lens to prevent water from getting in it.

Not too sure what I would take a picture pf though. It would have to be something fairly downward as I don't want to put the camera in the water.

Thoughts? (Obviously you think I'm crazy.)

2. WayneKing

WayneKing What's a Dremel?

Yes I think SARAN warap should do the trick nicely. Maybee wrap the whole camera in said plastic wrap and submerge it all.

Please let us know how this goes. :thumb:

3. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

I would advice to have AF OFF. And be very very careful. I can just see the camera trying to auto focus and mashing up the plastic letting water in.

4. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Very good point. I'll try to remember that.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

If you don't need any depth, why not put your lens inside a clear water glass and press that into the water a bit. Might add distortion, but I think it would do a lot better job protecting your lens!

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

If your serious about taking photos underwater you may wanna look into a underwater housing...

7. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I agree with Lynx ; AF off, it might have trouble focusing with the water/plastic and go crazy and mess up the bag. Be carefully though!

8. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Atomin - It would be a one or two time thing. I have looked at those, and they are way too pricy!

Cthippo - I've thought of that as well, and the distortion is much to high for anything really useful :(

I won't be doing this until I get a lens that replaces my current kit lens.

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

If's it's not a critical shot, why not buy a waterproof disposable? Not as good as your DSLR, but a lot cheaper to break!

10. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I took a waterproof disposable on holiday this year and the underwater pictures were terrible. All the fish just ended up looking like slurry or something. However, the pictures from above the surface were surprisingly good.

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

At first I wondered what in the world Saran wrap was untill I googled and found it to be Cling Film/Cellophane to us brits.

I do know someone that used it to protect his camera in the rain but I would be a little worried with submersion of any camera parts in any form of liquids that isn't just light rain.
    If you do try it though I'd love to see if it works ;)

12. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

A ziploc bag may be better than clingfilm.

- H.

13. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

We have what essentially amounts to ziploc bags for our video camera. When we go to the beach/anywhere near water, we put it in this 20 USD bag with waterproof seals, and "ultra-clear" plastic. Look for one of those. It's just a large, clear, rugged waterproof Ziploc.