1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q6600 overclocking?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by section8, 3 Mar 2007.

1. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

Anyone know how these chips overclock?! and what the heat is like once you get it up to the dizzying heights the cores 2's love to get up to!

Scott B

2. section8

has no one got any idea to what these chips are like.... i guess im gonna have to wait until they come down in price to get my answer!!!!

3. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I am looking for the same answers and will be doing the same thing. I read that the budget ones are coming down in price earlier but the higher specced cpu's are still on for the April 22nd price drop. I'm going to drop it in a IN9 32-Max, what about you?

4. section8

either the abit or the striker extreme... whichever one i fancy.... i like the LEDs on the extreme tho he he.... i have been drooling over the e6600 for so long now then it came out quad style and i nearly had a heart attack... cant wait to seewhat they come down to... supreme commander here we come... also looking forward to c n c 3, crysis, all sorts. bf2142 too... hl ep1... cant wait as the missis has allowed me to spend whatever i want as she has seen me go mental at my laptop all too often... you gonna run vista?!

5. Mother-Goose

Yep :D! The IN9 has Red LED's though, how mean will that look inside a stacker?! lol

What graphics are you going to drop in it? I was going for the R600 but I've just read that a single one will require 300 Watts of power vs's an 8800GTX's 160 watts so I am now tempted to go with the EVGA KO version of that. Tbh the Q6600 isn't bad value now as it is (about £550 right?) if that drops to below £500 i'll be dead chuffed!

6. section8

thats still alot of money for a redundant couple of cores at the moment tho... well for me they would be redundant... i know supreme commander uses four cores but i dont think i would use that many when im not using that game!? mind you I am gonna be doing alot of music production...

i will be using a gtx first of all and when SLI support gets better i will drop another one in... and it looks like the striker for me in my stacker as i have blue led stuff throughout... mind you might look quite mental with red AND blue?!?!?

You going for vista or sticking with XP at the mo?! i want 4 gb RAM and i know XP only uses a max of 3.23 or something...

are you going to raid it up too?! looking at two 320 spinpoints in raid 5, and a raptor x for os and games?!

7. Mother-Goose

aha very similar rigs me thinks! I'm going for 4gb of 8500 dominator, vista 64-bit, two 500gb hitachi deskstars or 2 400gb spinpoints not in raid ( i want the sheer storage space) and a 150gb raptor for OS and assorted other software etc, that could be trimmed to the 74gb im not sure atm, i can afford the 150gb so i'll probs get that. I'll be getting a DVB-T tv card well (hence big hdd's so i can record in non lossy formats and rip dvd's without too much compression and with 5.1 surround).

I'll buy vista when i get it but I may use xp unless the nVidia drivers are sorted by then (im thinking mid april no rather than waiting for the R600). I'll also be getting the stacker 830 evolution as I haven't got the case yet (and sounds like you have)

8. section8

yeah i will prob get my rig in april time... we could do a quite similar rig test for the forums here if you want... see how both our chips clock up... you going for 8500 eh... not thought about saving the money and just clocking your 6400 dominator... easily done mate... espesh with the mobos we are getting....

what you reckon about doing a dual build?! i will prob order my parts at the very end of march but then they might not come until mid april... what you think?! same mobo, same cpu, same corsair, (i might not go raid), possibly same ram (5,5,5,15 - 4,4,4,12 tighter timings but better bandwidth for yours maybe), same xfi (believe i will be getting a xfi gamer extreme or whatever the bloody one with the onboard X-Ram), same vista... could be quite interesting... you gonna go 24 goodness with the dell?!

list your components dude

e6600
    ABIT IN9/Striker Extreme
    4GB 6400 dominator
    Corsair 620
    8800GTX
    2 x 320 barracudas
    1 x 150 raptor x
    XFI extreme gamer FATALITY
    NEC DVDRW
    7.1 inspire
    Zalman 9700 tritium edition
    alphacool 240x128 2 x 5.25 bay LCD Display
    extra fans 120mm and 80mm
    arctic silver 5
    akasa AK-FC-03 Fan Contorl Pro (4 fan controller with Temp Sensor + LCD)
    Coolermaster stacker stc101!!!

thats it i think

9. Mother-Goose

Yeh doing a rig test would be a good one actually, doesn't have to be the same mobo either, could be good to see how they stack up against each other, but then again if we chose the same boards then yeh lol I'll be going for the 8500 because I can afford it and its a bit more future proofed.....but mainly because I can afford it lol

I'll probably be going for the BenQ 24" and the freezer 7 for my cpu cooler. I'll edit this later with a spec list of whats going in. All my hdd's are going to be in nexus drive-aways too. Sound card and speakers I reckon I'll add at a later date, this deppends on what ram I go for though, if I do decide to go with the 6400 I'll be able to get the speakers now, AND, if I wait til after the 22nd of april again I save money, although....can't wait lol

EDIT:

Last edited: 6 Mar 2007
  10. trig

trig god's little mistake

it will be mine :naughty: ...o yes, it will be mine

11. Mother-Goose

I think I'm going to go with the 2 400gb samsungs and the 6400C4 dominator. Two reasons, a) money, the money saved means I can get the sound card and decent surround speakers me thinks b) Samsungs aren't bad drives are they? and seeing as they will just be storing data something quiet is gooood, i've got one at the moment and its great :) and the 6400 instead of the 8500, I've asked a few times and as far as I can see, at stock, there is very little performance difference, I will be running at stock for a while anyway so I might as well get the cheaper stuff now and upgrade in a few years if i need to, sound like a plan? I think so lol

12. trig

i dunno gooser...i mean, here in the us of a, the price difference between 6400 and 8500 dominator is $50...for me, seems like a small price to pay for being that close to ddr3...cause lets be honest, what will you get out of the 6400 stuff when ddr3 comes around? not much prolly...at least, not enough to compensate for the $50 extra now for ram that wont really need upgrading even when ddr3 is out...but hey, im just gonna steal it anyway, so save money where you can i guess...lol

13. Mother-Goose

The difference here is around £75 per set, but because i'm having two sets that's £150, see where I'm coming from?

14. trig

damn...yuh, i see...plus, i was looking at 2 gb...

15. Mother-Goose

It means X-Fi fatality gamer sound card ya see ;)

16. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Heatload (and power draw) will be much larger than that of the dual cores. That's logical, as you've got 4 cores to cool rather than 2.
    Overclocking wise, these chips don't do as well as their dual cool siblings. Probably more to do with temps than anything else, but good chips can still reach ~ 4ghz under water stable. As long as you can keep the chip cool, and you don't get a lemon 3.4-3.6 range should be possible.

However, clocking these chips is quite tricky. On most boards (bar a few, the I965's seem to fair the best) the Q6700 is badly FSB bugged. It's not a huge problem for the QX6700 as it's multi unlocked, however for a locked multi chip is much more of an issue.
    FSB cap at 350FSB on a 9* multi is a shade over 3.1ghz. Not a brilliant clock by anymeans. There are some boards which clock the chips much better, can't remeber off the top of my head all of them, but the P5B springs to mind.

If the FSB bug is still present in the Q6600, then it's less of a question whats the max clockspeed, more a question of whats the max FSB. Choosing the right mobo could mean the difference between 3 ghz and 4 ghz with a locked multi quad.

17. Mother-Goose

I'm not too fussed about the over clocking I just want the quad core and a feature rich motherboard. That said, I'll give it a go to see what I can get it to, why not eh?!

Cheers though highland3r, section 8 will be pleased at the information.

18. section8

yeah thanks highlander that is pretty much what i assumed, the more cores the more heat less overclocking efficiency... i didnt know about the fsb problem though...

yeah gooser, one of us should abit it and the other striker it! you can clock the 6400 to 8500 speeds easily gooser, and with tighter timings too i believe... check out google friend!

if we do do this dual build, hopefully people could maybe look at it and decide what rig to go for, what problems we encountered and how we remedied them, what real gaming performance is like on new games... could be quite good

scott b

19. Mother-Goose

Yeh I'm thinking the same actually! I did a quick run up of the budget last night and it all fits in budget now so I wont wait til the price drop. I assume that you, like me, are waiting for the march pay day? lol

I'm going to hold on the surround sound speakers at the moment because my room is going to be a nightmare to place them properly.

I am definitely going for the abit. Still not sure on the big hdd's but I think 2 400gb spin points will do me fine.

Has anyone got anything bad to say about samsungs? My current one is wisper quite and rock solid.

20. section8

I am indeed waiting for the march payday... going to scan on the 24th for pc goodness... although I am getting my stuff on finance at the moment... dont have 2k saved up, but need a new computer, the laptop aint doing anything at the moment!!!!

looks like im going for the striker then!!!

i doubt that im going for the q6600... e6600 for me... that could be another good thing for people to read about... the difference in real world, normal people built rigs instead of the brainiacs at bit with their open test beds and such like!!!!

you reckon we should have a word with bindi about setting up a project log, with pics and a rolling review of the build and problems and shizzle...

scott b