1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Qi Hardware launches NanoNote

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Mar 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

I can think of one amazing ap for it. A tool which enables it to have wireless networking so it can become a portable browser/ media player . I should patent that idea oh wait already done. Hmmmm nope out of ideas for a low powered un internet accessible device.

All bad things aside it is a cool step in a nice direction. I would love the thing if it had internet capabilities. Its small and cheap which is perfect for quick email access. Its like a really dumbed down netbook which for the price would be quite nice.

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

It would make a pretty cruddy RSS aggregator / Wikipedia reader with no network connectivity! Why would you build something like this without wireless?

4. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Any USB ports? That'd let Wifi go on it.

5. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

I lol'd, I'll wait for OpenPandora thanks

6. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

if they just added wireless n it would be perfect

7. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

What's with the Chinese characters?

9. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

i was thinking that but they are a bit bulky

now ive thought of soemthing why not internalise it

people have managed to internalise a lot more stuff in psp so it should be able to be done

10. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

The only thing I like about this thing is the price point. That being said even £66 is too much if the device is of no use to me. Wifi is the bare minimum this should have.

11. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

How about a GPS for navigation or location tracking

12. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

Actually theres quite a lot you can do with it even tough its offline only, for starters it will make a great little open source portable console, with those specs it should run doom 1/2, duke nukem 3d , and a lot of other open source games just fine, not to mention emulators like nes, mame scummvm that might not be full speed but will run quite a lot.

PS does any one know what inputs it has, does it support usb as host mode(that could fix "internet-lessness")

Edit: Just noticed it only has a 8­bit RGB LCD that makes it pretty useless for GFX or picture viewing :(

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Indeed it does already run Doom & Quake. It does also have a MicroUSB host port, so in theory you could connect a USB wifi dongle - wouldn't look very good though, as you'd need adaptors/cables to go from full USB to MicroUSB... Plus, you'd have to port and probably heavily customise the drivers; that's not impossible, and exactly what the device was intended for - hacking :) (note the correct use of the term!!). Although it does have a MiniSDIO port and the manufacturer advises that it is compatible out of the box with several MiniSDIO WiFi chips already on the market. Although these cards are around £60-£80, from what I can see; which makes it very cost in-effective.

Reading the comments in the Engagdet link, I found a smaller Linux hacker toy already available that has WiFi built in and is cheaper: the Zipit Z2 wireless messenger (http://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1GGLS_en-GBGB368GB371&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Zipit+Z2). It was designed to be a wifi-based IM device for "teens", but it can be hacked to run Linux quite easily. In fact it already runs Linux, but it's locked down so it's just a matter of replacing the kernel & software. Plus it's only $50. Although the only company I could find that will ship to Britain want to charge an extra $30 for shipping - can't really justify that. eBay was even more expensive.

Tags: Add Tags