1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics QT110 and relays

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mikaelgu, 14 Apr 2003.

1. mikaelgu

mikaelgu What's a Dremel?

All right all you gurus of electronics, yet another newbie in need of assistance:wallbash:

I've been experimenting with this magnificent IC for a while now and I can get a single LED to light up nicely:D And even better I can use it to control a relay (G6E-134P 5VDC) Which will be used as a switch.

However when trying to use it to control another relay (G5V-2) it just does nothing (I actually need it to run 2 of them). So me sits and thinks a while and the thought occurs to me that maybe it's too weak for the relay (which has a nominal coil power of 500 mW, whereas the G6E only has 200mW [is this even something to be considered.:eyebrow: ]). So I try to use a transistor between them (had a BC547B sitting around unused).

Got the thing working fine again using a LED (QT out connected to base and emitter grounded, LED between live wire and collector). But when I replace the LED with either one or two relays they just start switching rapidly.

So am I doing something totally wrong or is my transistor just too weak? How about diode clamping the QT110 as stated in the product sheet of the 110. Do I still need to do it with a transistor? Or how do I go about connecting the relays?

A huge thanks in advance to you guys, you've taught me a lot already :)

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

have no idea on what that IC are for.. (to lazy to find datasheets anyway...) but have you tried to put a capacitor on the supply for the ic? try with a 100microfarad... you say that with two relays it just switches rapidly... this could be because the coils use so much current in the moment the tyrn on that the IC simply get to little power and turns of... this is wery common on TTL circuits becuase they are wery sensitive about supply voltage..

remember that normally ic's can't drive much on the outputs... but with that transistror you should be fine..

3. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

It's a capacitance sensing IC. I just used one in my last project.
    I don't think you should be using a relay, those are pretty power hungry and the QT might not be able to give it enough, expecially two. Use transistors.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

didn't he do that then? :confused:

5. mikaelgu

mikaelgu What's a Dremel?

Quote from the data sheet (2.2.6 Output drive):
    "The QT110's output is active low (QT110) or active high (QT110H) and can source 1 mA or sink 5mA of non-inductive current. If an inductive load is used, such as a small relay, the load should be diode clamped to prevent damage."

I know I could just use a smaller relay to switch the two bigger ones but that's boring! There has to be a nicer way of doing it:)