1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Quad or c2d ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lukeatluke, 30 Jan 2008.

1. Lukeatluke

Lukeatluke What's a Dremel?

C1E disabled, 378*8=3.1Ghz.Everything else in the video!

How to explain vdroop with video?!
    First section: Auto voltage-> Under load 1.24V.
    Bios 1.4 Voltage-> IDLE 1.32V, LOAD 1.216V.

C1E disabled, 378*8=3.1Ghz.

I'm in love with this board, if Vdroop as by all other P5K is the only problem then i'll to the Vmod which isn't that diffucult.I hope you can help me without Vmod. :worried:

2. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Jesus Christ I can't stop pissing myself after listening to that song in the vid! :D I'm sure he says "gas bill" somewhere along the line.

Anyways, you have an option "load line calibration" in your bios that is currently set to "auto". Change that to "enable", it's job is to reduce Vdroop and try again.

EDIT: Also, disable "CPU spread spectrum" and "PCI-E Spread Spectrum".

EDIT2: Also disable "Max CPUID Value Limit" (read more here)

EDIT3: Keep spotting things lol, change "PCI-E Frequency" to 100.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2008
  3. Lukeatluke

Because i'm not at home so I can tell you just why Pci-e not 100Mhz?! Hmmm.
    I read somewhere that the system wasn't stable beyond 3.1Ghz.So "the man who i'm talking about" set the Pci-e a little faster and bum-a, system was stable.So i done the same thing.

I was thinking a little bit about this Q-fan and all that Asus stuff.What do you mean about it? Should I enable Q-fan and set it to performance mod or just disable it?!

Cause at 1.4 V and 3.1Ghz(Auto V stable-62°C) my Q gets to ~65°C i need one aftermarket cooler.
    Which air cooler do you recommend? I was reading most reviews about coolers but i can't decide.I want one for the lowest LOL price :p I was thinking about Arctic Freezer 7 Pro.I readed that people get 15°C less so for the price~20€ :jawdrop: it could be very good :hehe:

Last edited: 9 Feb 2008
  4. WhiskeyAlpha

IIRC PCI-E frequency is 100Mhz as standard and generally does nothing to benefit the overclocking capabilities of current gen GPUs (someone jump in here if I'm wrong - where's Tim when you need him?). AFAIK it doesn't benefit the overclocking of a processor/RAM (though again, not 100% certain). I think leaving other (seemingly unrelated) settings at default would be for the best when trying to aquire a stable CPU overclock.

Temps are a little on the high side. I'd go with a Thermal Right Ultra Extreme or as you said, the AF7 Pro if you're on a tighter budget.

The Q-fan control on Asus boards isn't something I havea great deal of experience with (due to water cooling) but it should do a decent job of adjusting fans speeds. If I were air cooling again and didn't have a dedicated fan controller, I'd probably use Q-fan or Speedfan to adjust my fan speeds.

5. Lukeatluke

I'm buying now Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Clean set for the first help about temps.I can't overclock higher than 3.05 now, cause temps are higher and higher.But it's kind of hard to get this Arctic set :wallbash: in psychic market :eyebrow:

Can you recommend me Scythe Katana? I won't go with Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, because noone is complimenting it...

We'll do step forward about my overclock in next few days :p

6. WhiskeyAlpha

I'd go for Arctic Cooling MX2 instead of Arctic Silver 5 tbh. It's been shown to perform better than AS5 in most tests. Also, it has the added benefit of not being conductive/capacitive and needs no curing time at all. The AS cleaning kit is cool though.

Scythe Katana? Not too sure, haven't had any real experience with it myself. Hopefully someone else could advise you. The ACF7 is a great cooler for the money and I'm sure others will agree. There ya go, someone complimented it :). If you've got the money though, I'd still recommend the Thermal Right Ultra Extreme, it's the best air cooler IMO.

7. Lukeatluke

Hm...I have the money, but i'm shore i won't overclock it that much, cause for more you need more V too.And for me is performing ok at 3.4 so Thermal Right Ultra Extreme won't be potencial product for me.I need smth for max. 35€ and it needs to take at least 3.5.For 24/7 i'll stay (think so) at 3.4.

Did you ever calculate or saw how much € needs q6600 at STOCK 2.4Ghz, working 8 hours/day in 12 months for electricity?
    I can tell you that :lol: ~185€ :eeek: Isn't this a bit high price for stock 1.25 Voltage? :wallbash:

So...In economic view overclock/performance/price-> not higher then 3.3-3.4 :idea::clap:

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

having a Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme. i can honestly say, at lower voltages, it doesn't make much difference. but at 3.8Ghz, 1.63v (crazy volts i know) it socks up the voltage as easily as at 1.5v 3.6Ghz, with temperature difference of just ~3c

9. Lukeatluke

yes, but for the price of +40€ i can sell my GTS and buy 512 MB :) And than you're having more perf. than 3.4 against 3.8 :D

As I always say, I'll think about a little bit :)

:idea:

Tags: