1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete QuakeCon 800D

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by NavyChief, 23 Jun 2016.

1. NavyChief

NavyChief Minimodder

The Corsair 800D window design is such that the power supply unit (PSU) and cables are visible through it. To maintain the clean appearance for this build I decided to have a cover made that would hide the lower region and promote QuakeCon at the same time.

Here is a very rough sketch for this idea.

[​IMG]

The material will be 3mm flat black plexi with the letters cut out by laser. The holes will then be filled with matching laser cut graphics of the appropriate color plexi and set flush with the original plexi. The whole wording will be lit from behind with an LED light strip. The lower two white areas will be cut out, these are where the side panel connections are. I also measured the case window dimensions to ensure that the wording will be visible when the side panel is on.

Due to the increased airflow provided by the side vents, I decided to cover the mid-shelf 140mm ventilation hole. I sketched out the new mid-shelf design with the ventilation hole removed and the pass through holes moved inward slightly. I did not like how close the original pass-through holes were to the case window.

[​IMG]

2. NavyChief

NavyChief Minimodder

The project is completed!

The illuminated PSU plate with the 'Quakecon' wording was received and installed. Here is a photo of the case interior with both loops filled and the power on.

[​IMG]

Here is a closeup of the upper case interior.

[​IMG]

With the camera flash turned off, you can better see the UV lighting effect.

[​IMG]

A little farther out shot. You can definitely see how bright the 'Quakecon' panel is.

[​IMG]

All panels are installed.

[​IMG]

Side shot.

[​IMG]

You can see how the 'Quakecon' wording is perfectly visible through the side panel window.

[​IMG]

Right side panel.

[​IMG]

Top MNPC Tech 4x120mm radiator grill.

[​IMG]

Rear panel. You can see that removing the 140mm fan grill definitely makes the fan more visible and increases air flow.

[​IMG]

Front panel.

[​IMG]

--------------------------

At QuakeCon 2012, my case won first place in the Classic Mod category of the Case Mod competition coordinated by Modders Inc.

Here is a photo of me on stage accepting the medal and a link to the site.

[​IMG]

http://pcper.com/reviews/Shows-and-Expos/Quakecon-2012-Day-3-Coverage/Case-mod-contest-Quake-Live-finals-Bawls-chuggi

http://www.modders-inc.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&op=Story2&ndar_id=1598

I won quite an assortment of prize gear from Corsair and Sapphire, including another Corsair Obsidian 800D case!

[​IMG]

3. NavyChief

NavyChief Minimodder

The case made the cover of the August issue of CPU Magazine!

[​IMG]