1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Question about EK Dual Loop Bay Spin Res...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Socialite, 22 Jul 2011.

1. Socialite

Socialite What's a Dremel?

Questions:

Does anyone have this res?
    Is the etching on the outside or inside?
    Is it possible to remove the etching? If so, how?
    If not, can the front be replaced with a piece of regular acrylic stock cut to size? (It seems as if the dual version has channels /grooves for the flow path and spinner where as the single does not)

I really want to use this res but I'm not a fan of the crazy labels and shameless branding, so any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. hansen2605

hansen2605 What's a Dremel?

I got both the singel and dual res version.... The engravings are on the inside of the ress (the outside is straight or flat to the touch so to say)

You could remove the etching by filling it up with some sort of material (i can only think of plexi scratch remover, but i think it goes fog like when used to much) so that must be a no....

The front could be replaced, but it got some flow paths and cut outs for the impellers, but im actually not aware if they are needed, cause they fell completly flat when you take the front off to change impellers....

3. Socialite

Finally....

Thanks for the info, you're going to be my saving grace. Do you remember whether or not the res portion has cutouts that would still allow for the waterfall effect if a completely flat front was put on it? Also does it come with the spare impellers in the other available colors, or are they only available separately? Also how deep is the etching, as I once considered sanding or trying to buff it out, and since its on the inside of the res, the uneven surface shouldn't be an issue as all I'll be removing is the EK logo, min & max, and the loop 1 & loop 2 labels...

Sorry for all the questions, but you have been the only one to reply with this being posted on a couple of forums for the past few days...

4. hansen2605

The etching is quiete deep, think its at least a 1mm or 2

You could sand it out i quess, but i don´t think it would look pretty...

Your best bet is a plain front and hope the impeller can still spin around....

There is no cut-out or anything in the ress for the waterfall as far as i know, im home in 2-3 days and i will check up on it, but im 99% sure that the waterfall effekt is because of the main part itself, the cut out where the waterfall is, there is a small gap between there and the plexi....

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Ive got this res, and the impellor rattles. Which totally does my nut in.

Do you get this rattle socialite?

6. hansen2605

Nope, but one of my impellers wont spin with the original pin (the one that the impeller spins around) so i bought a dual bay reservoir (so know i have both) so i got 2 pins that works and one that don´t....

Its not really that nice a reservoir and it got quiete some problems if you ask me...

7. Socialite

Wow, really? It sucks to hear that. I'm looking for a dual bay res that has some symmetry to it, hence the dual loop bay spin. I was also looking at the DD Monsoon Premium but I cant seem to find them in stock anywhere, nor do I like the UV LED's that are in it, as my new build is all black with minimal white LED lighting... Oh well back to the drawing board I guess... Thanks for the help Hansen, it was much appreciated!

@Bdigital, I haven't purchased it yet, I was doing some research before I did, but with what Hansen has told me, I'm now having second thoughts...

8. hansen2605

I wouldn´t touch those bay res with d5 built in (other than XSPC)

Dangerden is leaky and a really bad design, it got some major flaws (things glued together going loose) just wait, this is primochill t3 over again

The new primochill is quite another story.... Brilliant design, but its not built when you get it, you got to assamble it yourself and thats a mission without end, multiple reports of leaks and cracked acrylic...

9. Socialite

With that being said Hansen, which dual bay res would you recommend? I'm asking because it seems as if you have quite a bit of experience in this area, and if I can avoid some trouble by taking note of what you've gone through that would be great, as I really don't have a lot of patience for things going askew. I would prefer something dual bay with at least 4 inlets/outlets and room for LED lighting, and black as opposed to the plain acrylic. On another forum I was told that the front is removable from the EK and it can be simply replaced with a flat piece of acrylic as the grooves are not needed. Would you recommend this res as opposed to others?

10. hansen2605