1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about PSP games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by needmorstuff, 11 Sep 2006.

1. needmorstuff

needmorstuff What's a Dremel?

Howdy all,

I am considernig getting my 6 year old daughter a PSP for xmas.. like the fact that you can have movies and music on there and the screen is bigger than DS so movies will be a good size.

anyways.. does anyone know of a site that allows you to list games by suitability age? I am concerned by the choice of games for her age group. I have at present only found about 5 or 6.

many thanks

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

loco roco... the only game she will ever play...

http://www.psp411.com/list/games/Playstation_Portable_PSP_Games.html

although that isn't listed by rating, use your own judgement. I've always thought that the age ratings are inacurate and are only a guideline. Different people do different things. My little brother for example, shouldnt be allowed to play any racing games.. in a years time, he is driving. I am convinced he will die in a horrible street racing accident. An slightly younger cousin hwever is more level headed than i am... I wouldn't worry about giving him gta and then allowing him to play with a shotgun..

3. needmorstuff

good start - thanks Will. - had a quick look at loco roco - looks very entertaining and exactly what would she would like. Will check that link..

Last edited: 11 Sep 2006
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There are more fun kids games on the DS and you get overall more screen real estate on the DS lite than PSP, despite the fact it's cut in half.

5. needmorstuff

don't really want to get into a console debate.. but psp is better for watching movies.

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

tbh... a tv is better for watching movies... something portable, get something that is designed to watch films. The psp, however nice it may look is lacking in good games. The DS is a far better option, and not just for kids. I'd rather have spent the money on a ds than on my psp.

7. ChriX

ChriX ^

I was about to suggest Brain Age, but thats DS too...

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I don't know about your daughter, but I wouldn't give a PSP to any 6 year old kids that I have known.

As for games... loco roco, Ape Acedemy, Daxter, puzzle bobble, lumines maybe, harry potter game (there's probably one).

9. needmorstuff

is that because you are worried they would break it? if so I have no issues with that.,... or is it general useability? or other?

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

A DS would be a much better choice for a 6yr old girl. Check out Nintendogs, Super Princess Peach, Mario Kart. A PSP would be too confusing for a 6 year old to figure out, and the game selection is crap, especially when it comes to something suitable for a 6 year old.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ah dude! Nintendogs will send her loopy. You wont get her off of it.

12. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Mostly about breaking it. It's pretty easy to use in general so no worries there. Have you ever held one? They are pretty fragile and easily dropped from small hands.

I wouldn't worry about dropping a DS because they seem a lot more durable.

DS games are more suited to kids, as everyone else has said.

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think a DS is a much better choice in general, I've been waiting for the lite to come out after I played my mates one and investigated what games are out for the PSP and DS, I thought the DS was much better.

Unfortuneatly now I have to wait for the money :p

As for the media side, again, a TV is much better for watching films on :p

If you havn't already noticed, UMDs are a pile of crap and all of sony should be shot for even thinking about them.

14. needmorstuff

wow - no-one actually likes the psp then?
    Wasn't going to touch UMD - I am not in the habbit of buying films twice. I will convert them and put them on a memory stick.
    I know a TV/portable dvd player is better for watching films on (she already has one of those) but as a parent of two the advantage of having a console that can play music/games and watch movies on is very appealing.. if we go away for the weekend she would need the DS/portable dvd player and an mp3 player - the psp can do all that and it has a big enough screen to watch films on (I know there is a mod to watch films on a ds)

So it all comes down to convenience really - as long as there are at present at least say 6 games then I see no reason for not getting the psp. If she breaks it then that is a lesson learnt for her. But she has "touch wood" not broken much up to now.

Games I see so far... loco roco, scooby doo, sponge bob... back to my question.. does anyone know of a site that can list games on age rating or age suitability for the psp?

15. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Well i'd recommmend the DS as well but this page should help

http://www.pegi.info/pegi/search.do

and i quote
    you seem to be able to search by console but to be honest i could not get the search to work on my works machine

16. needmorstuff

yes that would be good - if it actually worked. thanks anyway dude.

17. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

if its not working for you either, I can surgest one of two things.
    1. email PEGI and tell them search facility is not working
    2. use the american rating system at
    http://www.esrb.org/index-js.jsp

you can sort by platform and rating again, but the ratings might differ slightly from the uk. less emphasis on violence more on sexual content. Though I can't see any of them differing that much for for child rated games. hope it helps

18. needmorstuff

cheers - that works.. gives me alist to work through./

19. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

I agree with what others have said it has to be the DS. My friend works in Game and has seen a huge amount of young girl gamers in his shop since the DS and nintendogs came out. My cousin and her friends love nintendogs and mariokart, previously they didnt even care for games. If watching movies is a must you could always get the Datels DS movie player for around 100 pound. Its a 4 gig DS media add on.

20. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 What's a Dremel?

That's going to be a lot of converting if she only watches them once. Converting files is a real pain for me on my PSP. Surely, as said, a DVD player would be better for this?

I would personally pick a DS over a PSP for a six year old purely because I know lots of kids that purely love to play Nintendogs on the DS.

But it's your choice because I have to admit it is nice having my PSP as an MP3 player.

Tags: