1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics question regarding tft's

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Veer, 19 Feb 2005.

1. Veer

Veer What's a Dremel?

firstly i don't know much about lcd screens. I have been looking for a cheap color lcd screen for a project i am working on. However I have some questions.

link

link2

in these links. I am not sure of if these displays come with a controller or not.

I am looking for one which comes with a controller, so as to avoid any hassle of trying to hack the lcd and trying to get it to work.

all help will be appreciated.

link3

here is the main page.

2. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

The second module you posted looks like it has a controller, however AFAICS it's not VGA, DVI or VESA compatible. Each of those only has one pin for color data, while the module requires a 3 bit number for each color. Not sure whether you're trying to use your graphics card with it or drive it with a PIC or what, but it probably won't be easy. Which I could help more, but that's about all I can tell you.

3. Veer

Veer What's a Dremel?

ah right, thanks a lot for the feedback. I want to run the module using my graphics card.

4. Veer

Veer What's a Dremel?

are there any places where i can get screens/modules with controllers for roughly under $ 100. That can work with my graphics card?

5. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Your best bet is a 7" car LCD. Look for one with NTSC/PAL input. I would stay away from VGA/VESA input LCDs, as these sometimes come without the necessary control circuits to work (they are VGA compatable, not directly driven).

For about $100 you can find a car LCD either on Ebay or sometimes at DIY MP3 player websites. Look around, google 7" TFT.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I was planning on getting a small (5-7") LCD a while ago... I actually figured out that those car LCD's was more expensive than most 15" LCD monitors... So i ended up buying a monitor that looks like those i alredy have just smaller for running system stats and Winamp... Saves you for lots of work, and you get a bigger screen, and most likely you'll get a better image, and you don't have to convert it to a compsite signal and back.

Why is there so few car LCD's with VGA or DVI connections?

7. Veer

Veer What's a Dremel?

true! The car screens are doubtedly more expensive then a 15" tft screen. The thing is i don't want to spend a lot of money on something which shouldn't cost a lot. I'd buy a 7" tft for $ 50-100. But wouldn't want to pay anything more then that. As far as 15" are concerned, that is my very last option.