1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling questions on water cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kilobyte, 8 Dec 2004.

1. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

hey i am now 100% lost on what i should do if i post some pics of my case can i get some one to show me the best lay out?

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The last pic you posted showing the layout is fine. :) As Nexxo has previously posted the layout of the loop isnt as important as some people will suggest. So long as your res goes straight to your pump the rest isn't that important and you would see a very small difference in temps, if any, by rearranging your loop.

When choosing components its best to get ones designed for the tubing size you have chosen. If a block is designed to work with 1/4" then use 1/4" tubing. if a block is designed to work with 1/2" then use 1/2" otherwise it wont perform as intended. :duh:

Choose your blocks then work from there. Its confusing at first but the more read and the more blocks you look at the clearer it becomes. :thumb:

3. kilobyte

oko thanks man that helps alot do you know any good blocks that i can use for my amd?

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

As you stated in your first post you would prefer the smaller bore tubing for looks i'll base the choices around that. :)

Aqua-Computer do some fantatstic looking kit but they are pricy. The other main option for european small bore is Innovatek so it would be worth looking for thier US distributor. The last time i checked the alphacool NexxosXP pro block was regarded as one of the best performing 3/8" blocks. SNT-Systems sell the AC and Alphacool blocks in the US.

I hope thats enough to get you started. :thumb:

On looking at your case if you dont mind loosing the top 2 CD-Rom bays you could probably fit a 120*2 rad and a res at the top above your PSU.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2004
  5. kilobyte

thanks man that really helps i will post some pics once i start getting the parts for my water cooling kit

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

No dude, the NF7-S is a socket A board!

You know the Baboon is right! :thumb: Move that rad!

7. BAcon

BAcon What's a Dremel?

i do know lol, just that 754 dfi board is the daddy not the abit. Only good abit around is the nf7-s and is why i asked. Only reason i could think that you would reccomend the abit

Seriously tho the dfi is a superior board to the abit

8. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Go for a Dual 120MM rad or a single BIX, I can't imagine the "Micro" is going to have alot of grunt, it's good temps you want. The radiator takes the heat out the water so get the best you can ;)

9. Nexxo

State your reasons why you think so?

Leeum is right. Forget the Micro. Go for a BIX, or Black Ice Pro 2 or BIX 2.

10. pre

pre Minimodder

Depends how far you can/want to overclock. The DFI is an excellent overclocking board no doubt - but at stock its behind most other boards in performance.

Back on topic if you're not going for massive volts then you would have to say for space the dual 80mm isnt too bad. Sure it wouldnt dissipate heat like a dual 120mm but not everyone who wants an internal setup can to mod their case too!

11. Nexxo

If you can't mod your case, you shouldn't even be thinking of a watercooling setup.

12. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

I think thats a little unfair nexxo, but i see your point. Think about the resorator or other passive resevoirs they pose little threat to the steel structure of your case and can cool adequately. The key word there is adequate, most people who are looking for watercooling (at least in the comunities i am involved in) seek better than adequate performance, which means a single 120 rad at the very least, which in turn lends itself to "case violation", and were not talking tacos!

13. pre

pre Minimodder

Nexxo - no need to be such a purist! :)

I'm just going by what this guys wants it for - a compact, lower power, silent fileserver. Theres no need for modding with 2 duals 80s and no space lost and his heat output is clearly going to be low. No need to make a mountain task out of a molehill job!

14. kilobyte

yea you got it 100% right it is going to be used for something nice and quite i am going to make a gammer computer soon when i do that i will get in to the hardcore water cooling for that

15. Nexxo

OK, OK, there's the external kits. But we were talking about an internal (non-kit) setup here. If you wants to turn your hand to that, you'll have to be prepared to violate your case a bit, tacos or not. :D

16. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

what is a res? and what is its purpose? I'm kinda a noob too.

17. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

a res is a resevoir or area that holds the coolant

18. Nexxo

It also acts as a trap for residual air bubbles in the system, and as an expansion area for coolant to expand into as it gets warm.

...and welcome to the forums, DoNuT! Come on in, the water(cooling) is lovely. :clap:

19. pre

pre Minimodder

Also makes it easier to fill/bleed a system rather than a t-line/extra tubing (supposedly) although not quite sure how that is considering a lot of people have 5.25" bayres.

20. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

Why a BIX and not something more economical and just as good, like a heatercore? Isn't a BIX pretty much the same but with a little more bling?

Of course I use Aqua Computers Airplex EVO tubed/fin rad now, and I don't notice any huge XXXXXX <--- Opposite of improvement, I just can't think of the word :duh:.

Tags: