1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Quick Open Source OS question?

Discussion in 'Software' started by toyomatt84, 29 Jul 2004.

1. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

I mean no disrespect, nor is there another thread of this topic to my knowledge.

I was wondering if there is a Linux candidate that supports all that Windows does. I was curious as to I am quite new to the Linux scene, but not to Open Source. I work with LiteStep, which has similar principles as Linux, just on a much smaller term. I have been extremely pleased with the adjustability and stability of Linux, as I have used it on friends computers, but I play a lot of PC games, and use a lot of Microsoft products (ie. Word, Excell, Access, Powerpoint) I also use Adobe Photoshop, but I hear Adobe can run on Linux systems. If there is any info. you guys/gals could post, I'd be much appreciative.

2. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

If you're really into games, you're better off sticking with Windows. There is Winex and it will run some games but from what I've seen, they never perform as well as when in Windows. The only distributor/maker that does Linux ports is Atari(neverwinter nights, unreal tournament...) MS Office can be made to run on Linux but there's another piece of software that you will have to buy to get it to run but I forget the name(not wine or winex.) If you don't want to pay, there is OpenOffice.Org and it is a decent office set that is compatable with MS office. I've never heard of anyone getting Photoshop completely working under Linux but there is a program called Gimp that has most, if not all, of the features of Photoshop.

3. kiwi_uk

kiwi_uk What's a Dremel?

To run Microsux Office you'd be looking for CrossoverOffice which is a WINE fork. As for running Photoshop, some people have it working with WINE... I'm not sure how great it works but its worth a try. Theres plenty of guides on WINE and may even be some specific to photoshop... try Google.

EDIT: After a few seconds of research it appears that Photoshop 6 and 7 are one CodeWeavers (they make CrossoverOffice) list of tried and tested programs that are known to work.

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i believe wine supports photoshop now, and i think the thing that lets office run on linux is transoffice or something?
    winex sucks really
    if you want to game either stick to the linux compatible games (q3 based stuff and ut series mostly) or use windows

5. toyomatt84

Awww pooo. :(

I'm not a huge fan of Winblows not supporting 64bit CPU's, but I guess if I want to game, I'll have to stick with it.

Thanks a ton for all of your help, guys.

6. kiwi_uk

kiwi_uk What's a Dremel?

WineX doesn't suck at all. I've had the CVS version (thats free and easy) running Half Life (and all mods availiable via Steam, but not Codename Gordon or Cs:Cz) and Battlefield 1942/Desert Combat quite well.

I have an nVidia Geforce 4 Ti4200 video card.

7. toyomatt84

Well, I've got the X800 XT Platinum coming my way, as well as Far Cry in my ownership. I read up on winex and they said they couldn't support Far Cry yet. :(

8. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

9. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Yeah you can have photoshop on Linux with wine. The Gimp is free and is very powerful, but I found it to be slightly slower than photoshop on windows, and also it isn't particularly intuitive if you're used to photoshop. However, it has just about all the same same features plus a few more filters and brushes.

I prefer photoshop, but The Gimp is free, so it gets a :thumb:

10. toyomatt84

Well, that's awesome that they can play Far Cry, but unless you can play it as well as on an XP system, I'd rather stick with XP.

11. toyomatt84

Okay, now I got into a lengthy conversation with a Linux Pal of mine last night.

He says you don't need WineX to play games on a Linux system, and then I was like WTF mate. He pointed me here: Goto part 3 for customization info.

In there it discusses driver installations that are needed to play Microshaft's software. Is there anyway this is true? Because this would sway me back to Linux, due to it's nice GUI, open source code, 64bit support (I have an AMD), and many other nice features.

12. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Erm...unless I'm missing something in that link (and I might well be) that's just a howto for installing graphics drivers? It's all very well getting opengl to work but it doesnt necessarily mean you will be able to run any windows games...

Sam

13. toyomatt84

Ahh, sounded like that. He was tired when he was explaining stuff, so he might have skipped over a detail or two. Thanks Uncle.

Tags: