1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question...

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by hovek, 11 Feb 2014.

1. hovek

hovek “Can’t or won’t?” Sterling Archer

Hi there

I've been reading a lot for past month or so already, but need to clarify somethings with you guys.
    I'm about to start my first scratch build WC PC. Gathered all the hardware and i'm on the step of ordering water cooling stuff...
    PC will run on Maximus Hero/i5 4670k/16gb 2133Mhz kingston ram/Asus GTX780 OC2/HyperX 120GB SSD/ 1TB HDD 8gb SSD hybrid
    There is a possibility of one more GTX780, but most likely after the build is done

Nothing special but will do me.

Now to the question.
    I have around 400€ to spend on water cooling, might stretch it a little if needed. Most of my attention is on EKWB 360kit + 780block. From what i red it will provide enough cooling for card and cpu if not overclocked right? Was thinking that adding another 780 and 240mm rad will be grand if turning the cpu to 4.4GHz.
    I don't really know if that was a question or just my thoughts, but any advice would be appreciated.
    What about Phobya kit?

Thanks
    Matt

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

The kit will be more than enough for the CPU and GPU including having them both overclocked. Adding another GPU should also be OK but you may not be able to have a high overclock on the GPUs. If you plan on running quietly then adding another rad would help.

Although the kit is mainly quality items the pump lets it down slightly. Although it's powerful enough for your intended use including adding another GPU and rad it's nowhere near quiet at full speed even when decoupled. It is quiet however at 5v but running at that voltage is out of spec and it might struggle with 2 GPUs in the loop at that voltage.

I'd suggest a D5/655 Vario as you have the option of changing the speed manually and although not totally quiet they're not bad at speed setting 3 and under. Alternatively a Swiftech 35X allows you to run the pump controlled by PWM so that it's nearly silent at low speeds and low loads. It is a bit noisier than a D5 at full speed though

3. hovek

Thanks for advice!

In this case I'll go with the EK 360kit. Will probably change the pump later, right now I'm kind of broke after buying components. Still have to pay for my college...
    I'm just wondering what's the main difference between EK kit and same size Phobya kit since, this almost 100€ price gap is interesting. Pump is deffo less powerful but rad and rest looks really similar.

Or does anyone has a custom loop idea for around 400/450€?

4. hovek

So after giving it a lot of thoughts I ordered Phobya performance 360kit, EKWB 780 block, clear tubing and D5 Vario pump. I hope this will be ok...

Cheers...
    Build starts soon.
    Matt :)