1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Radeon 9800 problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HellBound1987, 10 Jan 2006.

1. HellBound1987

HellBound1987 What's a Dremel?

I have a Radeon 9800 for ±2,5 years now and it used to run very well, until two months ago (see screenshots)

When browsing;
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/_HellBound_/oehh.jpg

When playing Americas Army online;
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/_HellBound_/AA Screenshots/x-mas.jpg

Sometimes I'm ok when I use little programs which don't demand much from my graphic card, like MSN or Firefox. But when I start up Americas Army, my screen starts flickering and the colors are messed up bad.

It's weird because it just happened from one day to another; the other day my graphic card worked fine and I had no problems at all and before I knew it I wasn't able to play games anymore.
    I thought the fan of the card died on me, so I checked on that, but when I opened the case and turned on the pc everything seemed to be fine.
    My computer knowledge is not that good, so I haven't taken the card out of the case .. I believe I have an AGP slot tho.

The PC was not custom-built and Dutch people might know which PC I mean when I say "Aldi PC" :).

Some of the specs;
    * 3GHz Pentium 4
    * 512 MB DDR400-memory
    * Radeon 9800 XL with 128 MB
    * Seagate harddisc (160 GB)

Any suggestions what might be causing this? Or should I just run to the electronics store to buy a new graphic card? :sigh:

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Looks a bit like the card is overheating. Download ATi Tool and click Settings, then select "Temperature Monitoring" at the top then check the "Measure card temperature box". What is the card running at just on your desktop (if you can see)?

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'd suggest it needs a clean, and if that fails one of your ram chips is going perhaps.

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Don't go splashing out on a new card before you've tried another one!

If you don't have another AGP card yourself, try and borrow one from a friend.

If the second card works without a problem... it's your 9800 which is on it's way out. If you have the same problem... it would suggest a motherboard problem of some sort - possibly just with the AGP port?

5. aix

aix What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure if there are any thermal sensors on 9800Pro's :confused:
    but it could be the dust in that tiny VGA cooler, or just a bad contact between heatsink and GPU
    of course, it would be good to test the system with another AGP graphics :thumb:

Tags: