1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Radiators with removable terminals (ports)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Highchiller, 4 Feb 2022.

1. Highchiller

Highchiller What's a Dremel?

Hello everybody,

this is my first post here and I hope you guys can help me. I am currently working on my very first custom watercooling system. My case is a Lian Li O11D Mini. The space constraints pushed me into the wild idea of CNC my own distro plates. Thanks to Alex's guide about that on bit-tech, I managed to design some decent stuff.

However, the small case makes it rather difficult to fit everything inside. A very elegant and cool solution to solve this issue is to attach my custom designed distro plate directly to a radiator. Alex inspired me to do that since he showed this for the Aquaceras project. In the latest update, however, he was not really pleased with the radiator he got.

Unfortunately, I am not able to find alternative radiators (3x120 / 360) with removable terminals apart from the one Alex mentioned. Aquacomputer would be nice, but it is too thick and play against the already tight margins in my case. Two other options I found are FormulaMod and HanJiang (I never heard of both of them before):
    https://www.formulamod.net/collecti...c-radiator-for-cooling?variant=39467843584136

https://www.formulamod.net/collecti...ckness-water-cooling-radiators-for-120mm-fans

The images look like they are removable. However, I cannot find any drawings from the terminals. The only option I see is to buy one, check if I can remove them, measure them myself, build them in Fusion 360, CNC it, and test if it works. If not, I wasted probably months and some money without any progress.

So my question is, does anybody tried this before and has some advices, experiences to share? For example, are there any existing drawings or 3D models I could take the measures from for the terminals and radiators? Are FormulaMod/HanJiang trustworthy?

Or would you recommend me to find another solution (some tight bends rather than attaching the distro directly to the rad) because it is most likely a dead end?

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Copper + aluminum= galvanic corrosion.
    "* Aluminum alloy is stable and does not react with copper." That's why they are supplying a corrosion inhibiter, right?
    -Anyway, there's no mention of how the inter plate between the heat pipes and end cap are connected. They could be glued on for all we know. I'd steer clear until they can supply some post-1998 grade images, or someone does a review teardown.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2022
  3. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I have some of the thin HJ radiators and they perform as you would expect.

Those linked look like thicker versions, so should just unscrew and and come apart, the tubes on mine are round rather than oval in cross section so look the same as the ones you link.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2022