1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Radom crashes/Weird errors

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by popcornuk1983, 30 Oct 2011.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Hello again bit-tech community! I need to call on your wisdom and expertise to help me fix my dying PC :(

About 2 months ago I started getting random crashes. And now it's at the point where I can't even boot Windows 7. The POST is fine and it starts to load Windows 7. But I get to a certain point and just as it's about to load the desktop I get a BSOD error. It seems to be different everytime. It ranges from atimpag.sys to page_pool errors. Even when I boot into safe mode now it just crashes back to the BIOS.

I've tried the following:

Swapped SATA cables
    Swapped SATA power cables
    Swapped the kettle leads for both monitor and PC
    Dusted inside of PC
    Removed any custom overclock
    Removed all non-essential hardware (sound blaster, dvd drive, external usb devices)
    Swapped my 6pin power adapters for my GFX card with new ones
    Tried to install windows onto a different HD
    Tried 2 versions of windows
    Tested my memory for errors
    Checked my CPU and MOBO is running at the correct temp
    Cleared my CMOS and started with default settings

I'm thinking it could either be my MB or PSU. Any advice?

Cheers!!!

2. popcornuk1983

Whoops, Specs:

Intel Core2Duo E6300
    4GB GEIL RAM
    Radeon 4890 with custom cooler
    Asus P5Q-Pro
    Hyper R 580W modular PSU
    Artic freezer 7 Pro cooler
    Accerlero Twin turbo cooler for 4890

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

My first thought would be the PSU not delivering enough power but you have removed components and still it's happening, go into the BIOS and check the voltage for each rail. In addition, although you've tried checking the RAM for errors, have you tried a different stick and slot altogether?

Since you have done everything else, it's not OS related and it's probably now down to RAM, Mobo or PSU (or dying CPU).

EDIT: What will be useful is the full list of errors you are getting, there may be something in common that triggers them.

4. popcornuk1983

Fixed!

Turns out (after hours of eliminating everything else) it's my on board ethernet adapter. Once I disabled the card from the BIOS I no longer got any odd boot issues/random crashes.

I've put everything back the way it was and it's running rock solid. Never would have though it could be that causing all my problems! So glad I don't have to fork out for a new mobo or psu.

Thanks for the help :)