1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raid 0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fozzy, 1 Apr 2007.

1. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Just wondering if you can run raid 0 across 4 HDD's. I know you can make 2 HDD's into 1 virtual HDD through raid but can you make 4HDD's into one virtual Hdd?

My reason for this is simply speed. I have 4 74gb Sata 2 Raptors and I figure why not? If I can get extra speed and have 250GB's of 1200mb's (theoretical) raid performance that would be awesome.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

can you stripe 4 drives? yep
    will you get 1200mb/sec? nope
    will it be any faster than a single drive? maybe

RAID0 can give you a speed boost, but it depends completely on how you're using the disks. What will you be storing on these drives?

3. Axel

Axel What's a Dremel?

you'll have very high failure rate.I hear ppl loosing data on raid 0 every year or so,4 drives in raid 0 would be worse.

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

You'll only lose data if one drive fails.
    It increases the chances of losing data as any one of four disks can fail but if its only for a gaming machine or something and not long-term file storage, then who cares?

I would do it just cos you have the disks so why not?
    Just don't store anything important on it. :)

5. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

You can run 4 drives in RAID 0... but the more drives you add to a RAID 0 array, the greater the potential for disk failure - obviously, so it's not recommended... unless you have a very good backup routine in place!

You might want to consider running a RAID 0 + 1, or RAID 5 array instead :idea: