1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAIP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JADS, 3 Oct 2006.

1. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

You know I was sitting here thinking (after my Seagate drive bit the dust) that RAID is all well and good, but what we really need is RAIP. As the tech savvy may have figured it stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Platters and uses hard drive platters in industry standard redundant configurations.

Interestingly enough I ran a search through Google and found this patent filed in 1999 and issued in 2003 relating to RAIP. The patent belongs to IBM so I assume when they sold off their hard drive business to create Hitachi Global Storage Technologies that the patent would be transferred as well.

With HGST launching 1TB hard drives next year I think it is high time they started looking at RAIP to create vastly more reliable hard drives. I would also suggest dropping the I ;) If nothing else because you can configure your RAP enabled hard drive in JBOP configuration :D!

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

"Im raiping my harddisk" doesn't strike me as something a lot of people will admit to.

3. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

No, but they might admit to rapping it :)