1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows RAM Checking Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Carlk, 14 Oct 2004.

1. Carlk

Carlk What's a Dremel?

hey, wonder if anyone can help me... i need some software to check if my RAM is fulty, is there such thing? ive tryed Googleing it but it comes up with useless info.

cheers for any help

Carl

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

3. Carlk

Carlk What's a Dremel?

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

memtest86 is very very out of date, hell it won't even run on my desktop.

try.
    http://www.memtest.org/
    (its just an updated memtest86!)

5. Pantharen

Pantharen What's a Dremel?

Memtest nor any software will check the integrety of your ram, to check if it is faulty, you'll have to run something that tests hardware. There use to be a card you would purchase called a POST CARD. You just plug it into a pci slot and it spits out codes.

However if your ram was faulty, your computer wouldn't boot properly, you would be getting a **** load of hardware issues, and you sure as hell wouldn't be online.

6. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

or better yet, try the Micro$oft one

7. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Actually, I bought a POST card just recently due to a problem very similar. I got it from Startech.com. Works great.

8. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Quite interesting you would state that. I just used memtest to note the "which", "where", and "how bad" my memory was failing.

I have a bad DIMM from OCZ, and memtest not only helped me to pin down "which" DIMM was flaky, it told me where (the memory address range) as well as "how bad" (was it immediately reproducing errors or were they heat related/board compatability related/etc.

I'd say memtest is just about as good as you can get, short of buying a hardware memory checker that you allude to. Those dudes are bodaciously expensive. memtest is free.

Gimme free anyday!
    ;)

9. hardflipman

hardflipman What's a Dremel?

yup, i agree, i just used memtest to check ram and it told me which dimm was faulty. and now the machine works(without the duff ram). brilliant

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

There's also DocMemory a freeware teaser for their hardware solutions. It won't tell you which chip in a stick has failed, but you're not going to solder a new one in, are you. ;)

11. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

i think he was trying to say that if ram is properly pooched, the pc wouldnt boot at all, and you wouldnt be able to run memtest

but memtest is great for identifying if a problem with a system is ram related

Tags: