1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM Goes Pop

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by MODZERO, 11 Jul 2011.

1. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Well the build has gone fine so far.. Sat here looking at the Ubuntu logo.. Gonna start a new thread soon, for now I'm following the Linux install guide you guys kindly pointed me in the direction of.

J.

2. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Quick question guys, the guide says to run a software update, if I do this won't it take 10.10 to 11.04? I don't want that to happen right?

J.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

if you're updating through the command line it wont [unless you specifically tell it to..], updating through Synpatic won't and the Update Manager give you a notification at the top saying [along the lines of] 'Ubuntu x is available...' clicking the upgrade button *will* update you to Natty [11.04] but the update button further down won't...

sorry if that's a bit vague, i don't have ubuntu in front of me atm

4. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

I initially installed 10.10 and then upgraded to 11.04 using the software update.

All I can say is that with my installation 10.10 and 11.04 draw EXACTLY the same power from the mains when folding (I have a meter on the wall to keep an eye on my electricity consumption for both machines).

Re the Z68 chipset, I've no idea by I might have in a couple of days :D

I have always used the latest ck version of the kernel (as recommended) for folding.

5. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Cheers guys, well... It's folding!! Installed all updates stayed with 10.10 for now, followed the SMP Client install part of the guide and boom, I'm folding BigAdv, it was a totally painless process.

Couple things.. When you run console version in windows you launch from a shortcut which opens it in the console and you see it progress, how do I do that in Ubuntu?

Second thing, it there any software for monitoring temps in Ubuntu?

Lastly, I've not over clocked it yet.. But when I do (tomorrow) is there any decent stress testing software for Ubuntu?

Cheers guys, was gonna start a new thread but it really wasn't that troublesum.

Thanks for all your help.

J.

6. RedFlames

cd to the directory you put F@H in and run 'fah6' [i think it is], 'fah6 -smp -bigadv' if you didn't set the flags in the config, I've never actually folded under linux so i don't know if the console client gives progress updates like the windows one does, if it doesn't there are several monitoring apps, fahmon and HFM being the main two, that will keep tabs on the progress of your client

temperature monitoring... you have i7z [which i could never get to work...] and a few which use lm-sensors [which i, again, could never get tot work]

stress testing... never really needed to stress-test under linux so i can't think of any

Last edited: 19 Jul 2011
  7. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Ive just tried two sensor packages and like you, I cant get either to work.

My folding client is already running, all cores are 100% but I have no window open showing me how its gettng on, if I CD to the dir it says an instance is already running and so I close, How do I view whats all ready running?

J.

8. RedFlames

if it doesn't give you updates like the windows console client, you'll need something like Fahmon or HFM to keep track of the progress...

...the client used to generate a text file in the folding dir with the current unit's progress, i don't know if it still does

9. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Thanks, I think it does..

check it out!

[​IMG]

Must admit.. it's been at (0%) rather a while.. and almost the monitor has 100% load on all 8 cores.. my loop hasnt warmed up at all (to the touch) really need some working temp software.

J.

10. RedFlames

bigadv can take around an hour [depending on cpu] per frame [%] so it may be you're just being impatient :p

11. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

Did you follow that guide in the [H] forums? you don't appear to be using the right kernel, yours says *generic, it should say *generic-ck. If you have followed the guide then look for the kernel ending in *ck in the boot menu screen at startup and select it. If you haven't then I highly recommend you do, the ck patched kernel has the BFS, it's a better CPU scheduler than the one you're using, it will give you lower TPFs.

12. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

Re temperature monitoring, the download from the i7z site will not work with SB mobos.

You need to compile using the files from here : - http://i7z.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

When you first run it from a terminal window, drag the right side so that you can see the core temps as well as the current processor frequencies.

HFM definitely works with Ubuntu btw.

Just stress test in Windows (4.5GHz is a good place for folding 24/7). Then run a standard SMP client and note the ambient and cpu temp. The difference will be the same folding under Linux.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2011
  13. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

I had to GOOGLE BFS and TPFs.. :p I followed the first couple posts, I believed the CK kernal for for multi socket CPU's and the other posts were for optional software packages. I'll give the kernal part a crack now.

I didn't install a windows partition. So when I start OCin I need Linux to tell me if its stable, I think I've found Intels Linpack for Linux, that will do the job nicely. I've not got the first clue how to compile... so that will be an experience,

I'm getting there...

J.

14. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

[​IMG]

Okay, I've swapped out the kernal and set up Langouste, Thats it right all done?

Time to do some over clocking.

J.

15. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Probably don't need an answer any more. But no it is nothing to do with the GPUs. It is the 680i SLi chipset it is well known for over-volting RAM on start up. I have five of the motherboards you mention and I get through at least one stick of DDR2 800 every couple of months. The trick is never to turn the boards off then you will be fine. However as I use Crucial memory as well they replace it every time.

16. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

Thanks for the info chief, I've put that board into storage now, Could you suggest a brand of RAM that plays nice? if I choose to use it in the future..

J.

17. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

No, it seems to destroy all RAM, I've blown Patriot, Crucial, Corsair and OCZ

18. MODZERO

MODZERO Minimodder

LOL, I'll bin it then, it's served it's purpose. :thumb:

J.