1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ram gurus

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Immy, 9 Mar 2008.

1. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

I will be building a new system soon using the Asus Rampage Formula motherboard. From my understanding it has Native DDR2 1066 Support, so i'm looking at purchasing some Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5DF ram. It's rated at 1066MHz so im presuming so far that these 2 components will run well together (someone correct me if i'm wrong i'm no expert).

There is also TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF pair of ram modules here is my dilemma. I want to run Xp pro and i know it wont register the full 4gb's but will it hinder the rams performance in anyway? I want to get the 4gb pair so i can future proof myself for when i install Vista one day. So will running the 4gb pair in xp hinder the performance of the ram?

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The mobo and the RAM will run well together.

The RAM clocks are like this: 2x FSB clock = DDR RAM clock
    4x FSB clock = somekinda bus clock
    If you have a processor (and mobo) which support 1066MHz bus you need at least 533MHz RAM to run the system on 1:1 ratio. If you have a CPU and mobo that support 1600MHz bus then you need 800MHz RAM. The 1066MHZ RAM is good for overclocking as you can rise the FSB clock and keep the ratio at 1:1.

Hope that makes any sense... :eek:

No. It will just show up like you had only ~3,2GB RAM installed.

3. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info... So because the cpu/mobo/ram are all rated at 1066MHz it should all be running at 1:1 ratio? I intend to run everything at stock i'm not game enough to go into the bios and change voltages and settings so i want to build a system that has great performance from the get go.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Actually, as the CPU bus thing (not sure what it's called) is quad bumped from the FSB and the memory is dual bumped from the FSB, you would only need 533MHz memory for that setup (if you're not going to overclock).

EDIT: Somebody who knows the terms and is anyway more experienced in these things might come and correct me if I'm wrong...

Last edited: 9 Mar 2008
  5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

What's the processor you're getting? That determines the stock FSB and minimum memory speed, even though the board supports up to 1600MHz. Intel boards can run memory at ratios greater than 1:1, though some reports claim real-world gains are small, and if you're overclocking you need some memory speed headroom.

Aimed straight at that board is this memory article.

6. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

I'm not that tech savvy i have read that article start to finish and i still don't quite understand it all. I'll be getting the new Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 45nm FSB 1333. So the ram has to be rated at 1333 minimum? I looked on Corsairs website they dont have ddr2 that go up to 1333mhz the top they have is 1250mhz.

Also i found this on the Asus website: To attain top performance, ASUS engineers have successfully unleashed the true potential of DDR2 memory. While in DDR2 1066 mode, ASUS´s exclusive technology offers a choice of FSB 1333 - providing great performance for 3D graphics and other memory demanding applications.

Argh! I stop following technology for 6 months and none of it makes any sense.

Edit: I wont be overclocking the system in anyway.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2008
  7. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

i think that is generally true.

The overall gaming speed depends heavily on the the way games are written in the fundamental codes. Adding faster memory may not yield significantly more frame rate, especially beyond 800mhz with more than 2Gb RAM. Money better spent on GPU or savings for DDR3 systems end of year or mid 2009.

DDR2 has fundamental stability limitation at 1066MHz, like what DDR1 was, at 533MHz.

Compatibility between RAM and motherboard (Stability) is always hard to gauge. Beyond what's published by the motherboard vendor (ASUS), it's no guarantee. Look for Verify/Tested RAM for the board of your choice at vendor's site.

Go 4GB if you're buying DDR2. It will allow for the system to be 'useful' for longer period. :)

Like what everyone else said, 4GB won't hinder the performance when it shows up with only +-3GB.

However, based on your board choice, i think it'll be 3GB. Some boards gives 3.5GB due to fewer features (and drivers) on the board and the overall system.

2 x 2GB DIMM is highly recommended instead of 4 x 1GB.

Have fun :)

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

you may not have this problem at all, but there is a chance that you will have to go into the bios and set the speed to 1066 and raise the voltage. the bios may detect the ram and do it on its own. But I had to raise my voltage from 1.8 (normal voltage for ddr2) and raise it to 2.2 to get my ram to run at 1066.

but again you may not have that problem, just giving you a heads up.

9. Immy

Immy What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The processor is actually running (stock) 333MHz x 8 multiplier = 2.66GHz. DDR2 Memory will be running (at 1:1) 333 x 2 = 666MHz, so even DDR2-667 (PC5300) would work, DDR2-800 (PC6400) is better and would allow overclocking to 3.2GHz, which I think is the 1600MHz limit of the board.

The faster DDR2-1066 (PC8500) will allow higher memory multipliers than 1:1 or lower latencies but you'll pay the premium.

The Corsair memory selector seems to go OTT with recommended memory for a board (it certainly did on mine), Crucial's is more careful with your money. ;)

11. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

i agree. :)

at one point there were decoupling problems with corsair DIMM PCB. corsair was not very conservative with the electrical properties and took unnecessary shortcuts during design.

IMHO, corsair has too much PR and marketing Air.